Turn on thread page Beta

Being away from gf over uni holidays watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I've only been going out with someone for 2 weeks, so the holidays in summer play a pretty big part. With us living in the opposite sides of the country, its pretty unrealistic to expect us to visit each other much (or even once) so we were plannin on splitting up over the holidays and getting back in September if we still want to. Have any of you had problems because of the holidays?

- Adam

ReputationRep:
    I think thats a really good idea BTW.

ReputationRep:
    I think that if a relationship is to work it will work nonetheless. My ex got thrown out of college and had to move home, home only being an hour away but it was a big move. Things pretty much went tits up and we were seeing each other once a week. Good luck though XXX

ReputationRep:
    Cheers guys

- Adam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by byb3)
    Hey,

I've only been going out with someone for 2 weeks, so the holidays in summer play a pretty big part. With us living in the opposite sides of the country, its pretty unrealistic to expect us to visit each other much (or even once) so we were plannin on splitting up over the holidays and getting back in September if we still want to. Have any of you had problems because of the holidays?

- Adam
    It isn't the best idea, if you like each other you will just be ringing each other up anyhu so it wouldn't really matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by byb3)
    Hey,

- Adam
    So its basically, lets shag whoever we like for a few months and see if we still want to be together in october..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamasillynarb)
    So its basically, lets shag whoever we like for a few months and see if we still want to be together in october..?
    I'm surprised you manage to keep those 4 green gems at times.

- Adam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by byb3)
    Have any of you had problems because of the holidays?

- Adam
    I'm going to... when I leave the US and my girlfriend behind
    She says she's going to come over and visit soon. I really hope we stay together; we both do. I think if you're both committed (like us) then you will see it through

ReputationRep:
    My friend got together with a boyf just before the end of term one year they were going to split up over the hols but it didnt happen . You can make the distance thing work plenty of people do. I think its unrealistic to split up and get back together.

ReputationRep:
    Again, thanks for the advice That is the exact same situation as I find myself in Viviki, how long had they been going out for before the holidays finally dawned?

- Adam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by byb3)
    I'm surprised you manage to keep those 4 green gems at times.

- Adam
    Dude, Im being honest. If thats not the reason for splitting up, why are you going to split up? It sounds like the whole kind of holiday situation where you let your partner sleep around for however theyre gonna be away.

How far away are you? Can you drive? You can make a car/train journey/flight and stay with her for a week or so cant you?

ReputationRep:
    i was in kinda the same situation...but a little different... me and my boyfiend decided to do that when we went to uni....but it didnt work. he really really hurt me when he told me that we wouldnt be getting back together even thou id been pulling loads of people i stil thought wed get back together...

end it if you want it to end, or keep her if you want her to stay.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by byb3)
    Hey,

- Adam
    That's ridiculous, "split up and get back together" just sounds like you hardly care about each other. A relationship isn't like a job you quit and then join again. Either stay together or split up completely with no expectations for the future - doing the in between stuff is not good.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers guys, I live about 6 hours drive away! The only realistic methods of visiting are plane or train, and are slightly expensive.

- Adam

ReputationRep:
    If you've got the money, why don't you go on holiday together for a bit or better still, do a bit of travelling with her?

ReputationRep:
    How about you send letters every few days. Its soo nice, plus its more personal than an e-mail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by byb3)
    Again, thanks for the advice That is the exact same situation as I find myself in Viviki, how long had they been going out for before the holidays finally dawned?

- Adam
    Started dating at the start of may so less than a month. They ended up visiting each other during holidays etc and stayed together.

ReputationRep:
    You can't really switch relationships on and off. If you and this girl genuinely care about each other, you're not going to want to be messing around with other people in the holidays, and you're not going to be able to handle restarting things after a summer where the other did God knows what. And if you don't genuinely care about each other, then there's not much point going out with her at all.

If I were you I'd think about it carefully. If you've got the foundations of a decent relationship, one of you will get hurt by this, and if you haven't, maybe you'd be better off just being friends anyway. People in love make astronomical distances and separations work. You can do it if she means enough to you, with phone/e-mail and it's not impossible to visit/meet for a few days half way between your homes. If she doesn't mean enough to you, then let her go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everdawn)
    How about you send letters every few days. Its soo nice, plus its more personal than an e-mail.
    email's faster, and when you desperately want to say something and feel that they're there it's better

but getting letters is great too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)

email's faster, and when you desperately want to say something and feel that they're there it's better

but getting letters is great too
    oh im talking about letters for sappy sentimentality.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.