Computer turning itself off.

Watch
AlexJWise
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey folks, I'm not very tech savvy so thought I'd ask on here before being charged silly money for taking my computer into a shop.

I've had this computer for 15 months now and have never had a problem with it. It's a lot level gaming computer, plays games like AC, WoW and Borderlands smoothly on medium/sometimes lower settings, so it's always gotten me by.

However, recently (in the past month since I started playing WoW again) it has been spontaneously turning itself off, no "shutting down" screen, nothing, just turning itself totally off instantly without warning.
It does this about once or twice per day, and I use my computer quite heavily throughout the day, always playing WoW or something similar.

God damn you breakups.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!
donutellme
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's over heating. Same happened to me.

Try 2 things.

First, try and keep it elevated and in a cool, ventilated area when gaming. You may need to open it up to clean the fan.

And check if the battery is showing any problems.
AlexJWise
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Ah smashing thank you so much! Just had a look as the fan and could see a fair amount of dust gathering. Will be sure to clean it thoroughly.

Thank you again
donutellme
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by AlexJWise)
Ah smashing thank you so much! Just had a look as the fan and could see a fair amount of dust gathering. Will be sure to clean it thoroughly.

Thank you again
No prob!!
wildleaves
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
U need to get the dust out of it to allow proper air flow , ill see performance boosts aswell .

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1551801
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
When you're playing a game, run HWmonitor
What are the temperatures? It's most likely an overheating issue.
Iqbal007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Thank you again
Is this is laptop?
Be incredibly careful when you do clear it out. What I did a few years back for a relatives failing laptop was the same thing but also changed the thermal paste to improve heat dissipation.
QCube
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey folks, I'm not very tech savvy so thought I'd ask on here before being charged silly money for taking my computer into a shop.

I've had this computer for 15 months now and have never had a problem with it. It's a lot level gaming computer, plays games like AC, WoW and Borderlands smoothly on medium/sometimes lower settings, so it's always gotten me by.

However, recently (in the past month since I started playing WoW again) it has been spontaneously turning itself off, no "shutting down" screen, nothing, just turning itself totally off instantly without warning.
It does this about once or twice per day, and I use my computer quite heavily throughout the day, always playing WoW or something similar.

God damn you breakups.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!
As the previous guy said, I think he's talking about a desktop computer.

Check the dust on the fan and generally in the case, try clearing it as much as you can. If there's a lot just take it outside. It's rather annoying because there are places that have a lot of dust without being able to get to it. Just keep all the case fans clear too.

Check the cable managment of the system. Poorly wired cables will decrease the airflow within the case. A case should have at least 1 exhaust fan although it's always good to have more. (Exhaust meaning blowing air out of the case).

The other thing is depending on what CPU you have, and if you are using an aftermarket heatsink on top of your CPU, the thermal paste might of burnt off, too much, too little.. It's a difficult process to perfect the right amount. Thermal paste is a layer of thermal grease, it's a kind of thermal conductive (but usually electrically insulating) adhesive. It's unlikely it would have burnt off in the 15 months you've had it but depends on the quality, purity and other factors of the thermal compound.

Definitely switching off due to overheating problems.

Try downloading SpeedFan, it monitors your temperatures of all of your hardware from motherboard, to graphics card to CPU and hard drives. It also has a feature of PWM control (Pulse Width Modulation) and overrides the BIOS control speeds to keep your fan speeds optimum to the temperature of the hardware e.g CPU very hot = run fan at 100% capacity.

Edit: I'd say anything over 75°C on a CPU is rather too high. Especially for long periods. Although this differs for every CPU but use speedfan to find out temperatures.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (328)
55.69%
I don't have everything I need (261)
44.31%

Watched Threads