The Student Room Group

Warwick vs Edinburgh vs Southampton university for cs

I am an international applicant. I have got offers from Edinburgh... Warwick....and Southampton .
Now what I hear is Edinburgh is more internationally known and ranked the best among the three.also it's School of Informatics is highly famous. However the course of BEng is 4 years. And I am unsure about the placements and job prospects.
Warwick I have heard is most targeted by employers.
southampton too is very famous for its cs dept.

I am totally confused what to choose. Please help. My major concern is the reputation of the uni and the job prospects after graduating.
Reply 1
Original post by Sd0210
I am an international applicant. I have got offers from Edinburgh... Warwick....and Southampton .
Now what I hear is Edinburgh is more internationally known and ranked the best among the three.also it's School of Informatics is highly famous. However the course of BEng is 4 years. And I am unsure about the placements and job prospects.

I am totally confused what to choose. Please help. My major concern is the reputation of the uni and the job prospects after graduating.

Hi there, I'm an international applicant too.
I firmed Edinburgh myself, They offer independence of subjects for first 2 years and we can decide our specialization during the end of 2nd year. Bristol is my insurance.
I prefer warwick over southampton, for the same reason that you've specified.

Good Luck :smile:
Reply 2
I would avoid a 4-year BEng degree, just get into a 3-year course, do your master at Oxbridge. And get an awesome job.

I don't think ranking by most targeted by employers applied to internationals since most of them are not going to stay in the UK and work. It's hard to get visa to work in the UK nowadays, especially if you are inexperienced fresh grads.
Sir Tim is at Southampton and I would personally choose it over Warwick.
Warwick's Math on the other hard is :thumbsup:, not their CS to my knowledge
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Sd0210, From where I come from, 4 Years Graduation is the minimum requirement for jobs at big industries.
So For any god knows what reason , If I come back , I wouldn't need to worry much(I don't intend to).

In Fact, most US companies also require 4 years.

BTW, don't be so inclined for a job. You never know how your mindset will change in the 3-4 years.
You might go for a start-up? So yeah , Go for the University you like :biggrin:. All 3 of them are really good, worry about the job later ^^.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Sd0210

All of them have a great CS department.

I love southamptons department most ( personal preference).

check out unistat.gov.co.uk

You'll be able to check job prospects and average salary after graduation.

University of Edinburgh is internationally reputed. I agree. University of Warwick is really well known in UK. University of Southampton has one of the best engineering department in UK.

Now it all goes to personal preference. Check out the cities and where you would like to be.

You'll get a good job after graduating from either of the universities:tongue:
Reply 5
Original post by Raysorb
Indieguy, From where I come from, 4 Years Graduation is the minimum requirement for jobs at big industries.
So For any god knows what reason , If I come back , I wouldn't need to worry much(I don't intend to).

In Fact, most US companies also require 4 years.

BTW, don't be so inclined for a job. You never know how your mindset will change in the 3-4 years.
You might go for a start-up? So yeah , Go for the University you like :biggrin:. All 3 of them are really good, worry about the job later ^^.

What I'm saying is you could attend a 3-year course and do a 1-year masters at better univ like Oxbridge or Imperial. That definitely looked better than a 4-year bachelor degree IMO. From what I see, OP seems smart enough for having received all those offers from top univ.
Reply 6
Posted from TSR Mobile

I study at Edinburgh and if your worried about job prospects, don't be.

There are events regularly, with big tech companies coming to give talks, discuss CV'S etc. Opportunities are everywhere. You can obtain scholarships based on exam results, for example.

The hackathon game is also growing at Edinburgh and you can go to as many as you like around the UK to build up your skills.
Warwick is amazing, my friends doing computer science say the course is well taught etc, you're right about graduate jobs, Warwick graduates are highly sought after. The uni is lovely, great atmosphere and uni of the year currently woop! Also there are tons of international students at Warwick about 1/3 of the student pop
Reply 8
Original post by indieguy
What I'm saying is you could attend a 3-year course and do a 1-year masters at better univ like Oxbridge or Imperial. That definitely looked better than a 4-year bachelor degree IMO. From what I see, OP seems smart enough for having received all those offers from top univ.

OMG i'm an idiot, I thought you were the thread starter @.@.
Anyways xD, Yes you can do that. But Isn't work experience necessary before doing masters? I'm pretty clueless about PG, so please mind me :X
Reply 9
Thanxx....
Reply 10
I guess I ll go either with edinburgh or warwick..
Reply 11
Original post by Sd0210
I guess I ll go either with edinburgh or warwick..

Good choice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending