Annaaix_
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So hey, I'm studying module 2 for a test tomorrow and I can't get my head around the plant cell wall and it's structure.

This includes:
cellulose, micro-fibrils, lignin, the layers, primary and secondary walls?

I just don't get it, can someone like, explain it?

I'll honestly love you if you can ty :love:

(Edexcel btww) xo
heavyhandscott
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Annaaix_)
So hey, I'm studying module 2 for a test tomorrow and I can't get my head around the plant cell wall and it's structure.

This includes:
cellulose, micro-fibrils, lignin, the layers, primary and secondary walls?

I just don't get it, can someone like, explain it?

I'll honestly love you if you can ty :love:

(Edexcel btww) xo
Cellulose - long polymer of molecules of beta-glucose molecules.major component of primary and secondary cell wall layers. Long strands of cellulose 'wrap' around the cell and are strong due to the hydrogen bonds between the cellulose strands which layer on top of each other.

micro-fibrils - several cellulose polymers can group together all parallel to each other to form microfibrills (groups of parallel cellulose polymers bound together by H bonds)

lignin - polymer which strengthens and waterproofs sugar based polymers (cellulose) in cell walls. It encrusts in the cell wall

primary wall - rigid skeleton of cellulose micro-fibrils embedded in gel like matrix

secondary wall - made of cellulose and lignin. Provides rigidity and strength. Forms after cell enlagement.

Only brief but ive never learned about these before in such detail (only structure of cellulose and cell wall info), so did a bit of research myself

Hope that this helps!
Synapsida
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think the poster above me covered much of your questions. But don't forget the importance of beta-glucose in maintaining the rigidity of the plant's structure. Beta-glucose has the OH group (located in the far right of the C6H12O6) on top while the alpha glucose (most common one in animal cells) has the OH group in the bottom of the molecules. This results in deferences in bondage links. Beta glucose has 1-4 linkage as it's glycosidic bond. When beta-glucose form long chains that held together by glycocedic bonds (polysaccharides), the physical structure is strong. Cellulose, which forms the walls of the plant cells, is made up of Beta-glucose because it is useful in keeping the structure turgid.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (288)
55.81%
I don't have everything I need (228)
44.19%

Watched Threads