lifi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I've just started an apprenticeship as a T.A. but the school I started with asked me to cover for history because that teacher just left. I have never taught before and I am only 21. As this was after the interview, I stupidly said I would because I had an A level in it and I thought that maybe they wouldn't take me if I didn't say yes. They have put a lot of responsibility on me as they want me to teach 5 year groups (ks3 and ks4) with minimal support and all at an apprentices wage as thats what my official job is. I have sort of just been chucked in. As there is coursework for the apprenticeship and I have to plan lessons for each of these classes, there really is no time to do all of it. I do not have a degree in history or teaching and I do not know how to tell them that I can't do it without it maybe affecting my place on the apprenticeship which is what I am worried about. I've been looking for an apprenticeship for a year now and I don't want to ruin it but I also don't want to take on a role that I can't do and have no time to do.

Is this all unusual?
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by lifi)
I've just started an apprenticeship as a T.A. but the school I started with asked me to cover for history because that teacher just left. I have never taught before and I am only 21. As this was after the interview, I stupidly said I would because I had an A level in it and I thought that maybe they wouldn't take me if I didn't say yes. They have put a lot of responsibility on me as they want me to teach 5 year groups (ks3 and ks4) with minimal support and all at an apprentices wage as thats what my official job is. I have sort of just been chucked in. As there is coursework for the apprenticeship and I have to plan lessons for each of these classes, there really is no time to do all of it. I do not have a degree in history or teaching and I do not know how to tell them that I can't do it without it maybe affecting my place on the apprenticeship which is what I am worried about. I've been looking for an apprenticeship for a year now and I don't want to ruin it but I also don't want to take on a role that I can't do and have no time to do.

Is this all unusual?
Hey there - who is your training provider...? You need to talk to them about this first of all.

You may also find these materials useful and it's worth contacting skills for schools for guidance.

How have things been since you made the original post...?
lifi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thank you for your help.

Well, I've spoken to the school as I haven't been able to get in touch with my training provider to discuss it. I was sort of told I have to carry on teaching as there is no one else. And I'm having issues with my coursework as I have to write about what I am learning but I haven't been given time in classes as a t.a to write about it. My tutor hasn't contacted me yet so I haven't been able to ask for help either so now I'm behind on the coursework. It's all a bit of a shambles to be honest. I feel left in the lurch from both sides. I'm really unsure of what to do now. I think I will try to contact my training provider again and ask for support eoth the coursework as keeping it to myself just means I won't get help and I'll fail all because im focusing more on the teaching even though that's not what I'm there for and I'll be the one left with nothing, not them.

Sorry for the rant but I really do feel left in the lurch. Hopefully I can sort things out soon and I can try to remain patient that things will be sorted without having too much of a melt down lol

Once again, thank you for your reply
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (157)
14.54%
I'm not sure (46)
4.26%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (320)
29.63%
I have already dropped out (30)
2.78%
I'm not a current university student (527)
48.8%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise