The Student Room Group

Maths Puzzle, Hints please:)

I've seen a few puzzles posted recently and I have come across one of similar background. Can't seem to find solutions. Any Help Guys ?

In the palace grounds there are many gardens. One of them was rectangular in shape. The Red and White Queens ordered Alice to make it into a rosary (a rose garden) with half of the area to be red roses in one large rectangular bed at the centre of the garden and the other half to be a border of white roses enclosing the red roses. All Alice had to mark out the garden is a long white tape with no markings on it and some tent pegs given to her by the White Rabbit. How did Alice accomplish this?
(edited 9 years ago)
Does the border have to be uniform throughout? because technically cutting the thing into two rectangles of equal width and height counts as a border. The center of the rectangle can be found with tape across the two corners. Not sure if Alice can measure angles though, but if she could then the problem would be done
Reply 2
That is all the information given, i'm not sure what assumptions to make, help me :frown:
I mean the problem is quite easy if Alice is allowed to drop perpendiculars and the border doesn't have to be uniform (even if it's not a degenerate case of a border of 0 width) but it seems quite absurd if you're not allowed to drop perpendiculars
If the problem requires an even border throughout, I have reduced it to "how do I measure sqrt(2ab)" where a and b are the lengths of the original rectangle

Quick Reply

Latest