Should I even bother wanting to become a vet?

Watch
geephee
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I have taken my core science GCSE and achieved a B overall I got:
Biology- A
Chemistry- D
Physics- C
Controlled Assessment- A*

i was really disappointed with my chemistry and I already struggled with physics. in my additional science mocks I have been getting B's in all three and hope for an A in Biology again. Do you think I should even try and become a Vet? I am predicted a B in maths and I got a really high C in my mocks (I have just moved up from foundation into higher for year11). At A-Level I would have to take Biology, Chemistry,Maths and something else I'm not confident whether I could do them or not?:confused:
LuiEmmitt
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi.
Firstly, I don't think you would need to take Biology, Chemistry and Maths at A-Level. For University of Nottingham's, BVM Veterinary Medicine, their entry requirements reads as follows.

' grade A in chemistry and biology (or human biology) and grade B in a third subject'

Ideally, you would only need chemistry and biology, however, you are upset about your core chemistry result, which is understandable. You also have to take into account that A-Level chemistry (Especially A2) becomes very mathematical and very hard. These are the steps I would take before selecting your options.

1. Look around at other university courses. Do any strike your eye or have any careers which you think you may enjoy?
2. What other subjects apart from science of you like? Have a look at what they could possibly lead to if you took them for A-Level.
3. If your still very passionate about becoming a vet, speak to teachers (most importantly your science ones) about your chose of career. Do they think it will suite you or could they recommend another career path they thunk you might enjoy.

After doing all of that and your still set on being a vet, take a few other subjects that may allow you to broaden your options incase you find A-Level sciences to heavy.
1. Biology and Chemistry. These two are required for the course.
2. Possibly English Literature. Its an fantastic subject that can lead to may different careers such as law, journalism, teaching and the media.
3. A Langauge perhaps? You can never go wrong with a language. All universities love languages and even if you don't do a language course at uni, they are still extremely useful to have when applying at for future employment
4. A subject you've enjoyed at GCSE.

Finally, if you take sciences and you realise you don't want to become a vet because you think it would be too much work and the entry requirements are too high (AAA is generally the average) and its too late to change, there are may other courses at uni which you could do with science such as pharmacy, biological sciences or Physiotherapy. If you want to work with animals, you could take a Zoology or marine biology course, or take a biomedical sciences degree and go into veterinary medicine at postgraduate level.

Hope this Helped,
Lui.
geephee
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thank you so much for your reply I had already considered- psychology, French, English lit and history for a-level to become a teacher but it just really doesn't interest me anymore.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.97%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (673)
41.26%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.23%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.54%

Watched Threads