Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    I'm 90% sure it did last year so it should this year as well!!!
    Nah, it wasn't included, they only did one for business studies. Hopefully it will be this year

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge should be top

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    Cambridge should be top

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samd294)
    Would I be correct by saying that the fact that they agreed on a Harward/Princeton draw had more to do with politics than the fact that both the universities were of precisely the same standard?
    I'm sure there are politics involved as always...However a draw might serve as a better indicator that the schools are at the same level of prestige and/or quality.

I think that LSE and Imperial are pretty much equals in many ways in terms of quality (since they specialize in completely different subjects, you can't really compare them). I think it would be more appropriate if they were given a draw for third.

Even though all the universities say that they don't believe in rankings...they really do. One year, Caltech was labeled as the nation's best university and I think the folks at HYP had a fit because the next year they were back up at the top....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ckwan16)

I think that LSE and Imperial are pretty much equals in many ways in terms of quality (since they specialize in completely different subjects, you can't really compare them). I think it would be more appropriate if they were given a draw for third.
    Now you're just saying that because Imperial managed to grab the third spot and LSE the fourth!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BossLady)
    Now you're just saying that because Imperial managed to grab the third spot and LSE the fourth!
    Haha...good point

However the current Sunday Times table ranked LSE 3rd and Imperial 4th.....It just seems that the two schools flip flop in between the 3rd and 4th place rankings all the time.

Plus, my cousin goes to Imperial....so I gotta throw him a bone

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...408136,00.html

ReputationRep:
    Haha...good point

However the current Sunday Times table ranked LSE 3rd and Imperial 4th.....It just seems that the two schools flip flop in between the 3rd and 4th place rankings all the time.

Plus, my cousin goes to Imperial....so I gotta throw him a bone

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...408136,00.html
    yeah tis true they tend to swap back and forth with each other and in most peoples eyes anyway they are number 3. Although of course i do remember a few of years ago when Imperial beat Oxford on the main ranking tables for the times! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BossLady)
    yeah tis true they tend to swap back and forth with each other and in most peoples eyes anyway they are number 3. Although of course i do remember a few of years ago when Imperial beat Oxford on the main ranking tables for the times! :cool:
    I wonder if the rankings would change if LSE and Imperial ever decided to merge together. Doubt that it is even possible, but that would be interesting.

ReputationRep:
    No need to argue about LSE and IC. Except in this country, LSE is far more famous than IC anywhere in the world with so many world leaders coming out from it.

People in Singapore, USA, etc, may not know who their top scientists are, but they certainly know their learders.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if the rankings would change if LSE and Imperial ever decided to merge together. Doubt that it is even possible, but that would be interesting.
    There was some talk of it.

ReputationRep:
    IC and LSE should have identical rankings.

ReputationRep:
    Do they ever give a ranking for the UOL as a whole? youd think with UCL,IC,KCL,LSE,SOAS alone it would come top.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know when the other rankings are coming out? Telegraph? Sunday Times? Guardian? They are just as important!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think their will be any telegraph ones this year. The Gurdian should be late May, the Sunday Times will be september.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    Do they ever give a ranking for the UOL as a whole? youd think with UCL,IC,KCL,LSE,SOAS alone it would come top.
    How united and strong is the UOL?

ReputationRep:
    How united and strong is the UOL?

I'm probably wrong, but it seems like UOL unis like the LSE, IC, UCL, KCL, SOAS, RH, QM are big enough to be independant from the system.

Its more of a loose federation of pretty much independant colleges than an integrated university along the lines of oxbridge. I thought i could remember it being mentioned somewhere that the UOL as a whole used to be part of the leage rankings as well as its constituent colleges.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adrian)
    Come on imperial! We're only six points behind Cambridge dammit. Still, I doubt we'll ever come second again like we did in 2000. Oh well it can't hurt to dream. Nevertheless third out of a 100 suits me just fine.
    Yep, go Imperial!

ReputationRep:
    its not fair- why do they have to leave my subject (psychology) until last??

ReputationRep:
    yep, they havent done law yet either. that oxbridge article about how hard it si to get a place there was quite good, though it just makes me more jealous of my oxbridge friends grrrrrrrrrr

ReputationRep:
    The thing won't let me look at the tables for individual subjects without a subscription....

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.