The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Physics - CFE 2015!!!!

Scroll to see replies

That's good :biggrin: I thought it was okay but there were definitely a few weird questions. The graph question at the end was a bit dodgy and there was one point on the graph that didn't seem to match up with the line at all so I ignored it?? Also the whole 3D cinema question was annoying for me. Does anyone know why that student had the reading uncertainty as 2mm instead of 0.5mm?
Reply 81
What did everyone put for the questions about the cinema? I found those questions tricky...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wouldn't be surprised if I lost all the marks for that question. Oh well!
Original post by WithoutMuchHope
Wouldn't be surprised if I lost all the marks for that question. Oh well!

Same :laugh: Usually polarisation is easy marks as well but that question didn't really make sense. I put perpendicular for the axes thing cause it's the only word I could think of but then didn't really know what to do for the rest of it. I said that the ceiling light would be unpolarised and therefore rotating the filter wouldn't have an effect on the brightness :confused:
Just realised I drew the ball going in the completely wrong direction for that accelerating spaceship question hahaha :redface: I had the ball going upwards in a parabola... The constant speed one would have just went straight across right?
Hi guys, I found the paper overall not too bad, however, I felt that time was an issue. In all the practices i was doing fine, they tended to be 13 Questions compared to this paper's 16 Questions, but today I was struggling and ended up missing quite a lots of marks which may not have actually been that difficult to obtain.
I really think this might lead to a lower grade for myself than expected. I get that it was still the same amount of marks and stuff but I think with so many words in some questions it took time to work out what had to be done etc.
Does anyone else feel this way? Thanks
Reply 86
Original post by chopinfan
Just realised I drew the ball going in the completely wrong direction for that accelerating spaceship question hahaha :redface: I had the ball going upwards in a parabola... The constant speed one would have just went straight across right?

Yeah I drew just straight across and for the accelerating one I drew curve downwards like a projectile
Original post by ch3mz
Yeah I drew just straight across and for the accelerating one I drew curve downwards like a projectile

I did a straight line across for the acceleration one?
Reply 88
Original post by hugeJamesS
I did a straight line across for the acceleration one?

My reasoning is that the acceleration upwards has the same effect as a gravitational field so the ball will go down but not really sure
Original post by ch3mz
My reasoning is that the acceleration upwards has the same effect as a gravitational field so the ball will go down but not really sure

That sounds sensible actually, you're probably right haha!
I drew a curved upwards parabola (spaceship accelerating upwards) and then just a straight line??? :s

And yeah, I think timing was an issue. I know a few of my friends didn't finish or were struggling too. Luckily i did get finished, but I normally always have time to check over my answers and I didn't today, because the exam just ended as I finished.
And yeah, I think timing was an issue. I know a few of my friends didn't finish or were struggling too. Luckily i did get finished, but I normally always have time to check over my answers and I didn't today, because the exam just ended as I finished.

Yeah same with people in my school too, a lot didn't finish, so I hope the SQA acknowledge this because i seriously think it could end up being the difference between grades for me.

Who knows- there may already be a petition up about it! lol
Reply 92
But surely if effects of a = g then it's like throwing a ball to someone on earth- it would go straight across to them? on earth the ball doesn't drop down because of gravity when you throw?

It does, it just depends on the horizontal velocity and whether or not it has enough time to see the effect of the vertical velocity on the ball. A better analogy is a golf ball, you need to hit it at an angle upwards for it to go a considerable distance. If you were to hit it straight on it would skim off the ground.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys, I found the paper overall not too bad, however, I felt that time was an issue. In all the practices i was doing fine, they tended to be 13 Questions compared to this paper's 16 Questions, but today I was struggling and ended up missing quite a lots of marks which may not have actually been that difficult to obtain.
I really think this might lead to a lower grade for myself than expected. I get that it was still the same amount of marks and stuff but I think with so many words in some questions it took time to work out what had to be done etc.
Does anyone else feel this way? Thanks

Yes I completely agree! I was really struggling for time and didn't get the chance to check over anything.
Original post by ch3mz

I drew a curved upwards parabola (spaceship accelerating upwards) and then just a straight line??? :s

Thinking about it now, I'm pretty sure it should be a curve downwards. The ship is accelerating upwards so it will "catch up" with the ball so to speak. But yeah I also drew a curved upwards parabola cause that's what I initially thought :redface:
Found the rxam to be actually pretty good, especially compared to what i expected! Hope i get a good mark for my assigjment lost so much sleep over it...

Didnt quite get the Polarisation and the whole calculate speed of the slund wave, what did yous get for finding the speed of light? Think i got something pretty low like to the power6? Best of luck everyone
Reply 96
Has anyone managed to snag a question paper and if so, can they upload it here?
Original post by ScottWM98
Found the rxam to be actually pretty good, especially compared to what i expected! Hope i get a good mark for my assigjment lost so much sleep over it...

Didnt quite get the Polarisation and the whole calculate speed of the slund wave, what did yous get for finding the speed of light? Think i got something pretty low like to the power6? Best of luck everyone

Everyone seems to be saying it was pretty good but I found it harder than the specimen paper :s-smilie: Kind of expected that though. Same hahaha

Oh yeah the polarisation question was a nightmare. For the second part of the speed of the sound wave, I used E1/(A1)^2 = E2(A2)^2 to find the amplitude and then just flipped the sign in the equation to positive. I got 2.9*10^8 for the speed of light which seems okay. You'll still get marks for working anyway even if the final answer is wrong :smile:
Got the paper, I will put up pictures of it tonight. The paper was good actually! Did anyone get a parabola path and straight line for the frames/spaceship question?
And for question 10Bii did you use the amplitude as 0.040 or?
Original post by Higherdude
Got the paper, I will put up pictures of it tonight. The paper was good actually! Did anyone get a parabola path and straight line for the frames/spaceship question?
And for question 10Bii did you use the amplitude as 0.040 or?

yeah wasn't sure if A was 0.04 or half of that?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending