Turn on thread page Beta

how long does it take to settle down in a place.. watch

ReputationRep:
    how long does it take to settle down..if im a international student..
    how long would these things take to do?
    banking
    getting a mobile phone or line
    doctors/vaccinations

and more?

what other things would i need to do?

i havent applied for accomodation yet.. cos im still not sure where i want to go..
    hopefully i can get a full-board room...

ReputationRep:
    You could probably do those things in a day easily. You also will need to register with the police since you're an international student.

ReputationRep:
    Banking takes a bit longer than a day. It would only take about 1/2 and hour to sign up for a bank account (unless there's a queue), but actually getting the account opened and getting a debit card and things could take a week or two.

ReputationRep:
    Do you need jabs to come into the UK?!?!?!

ReputationRep:
    You'll probaly need a letter from your university in order to open a bank account. If you are going somewhere with lots of international students then they will probably have some kind of arangement, fill a form in, leave it with the international office, pick up your letter 4 days later something like that.

Registering with a docter should be easy, especially if there is one on campus.

Buying a PAYG phone is easy, getting a landline harder unless you are in halls with a phone provided.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danithestudent)
    Do you need jabs to come into the UK?!?!?!
    im not sure.. but im going to do them anyway.. all in one shot.. saves the trouble...

ReputationRep:
    which makes most sense pay monthly or pay as u go??

or does it depend on individuals..?

ReputationRep:
    Opening a bank account can be a nightmare for international students. It took the 2 students in my lab about a month. You are not elligible for a student account like UK students are and they will make you jump through hoops to prove your identity.

ReputationRep:
    i intend to come about 2 weeks before school starts.. is that too early or do i need more time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gtan)
    which makes most sense pay monthly or pay as u go??

or does it depend on individuals..?
    pay as u go for us citizens but u may find a deal where u get cheap international calls if ya wanna phone home, also depends on how often u plan to use ya phone. O2 have some good contract deals

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gtan)
    im not sure.. but im going to do them anyway.. all in one shot.. saves the trouble...
    Coming to the UK doesn't require any more vaccinations than the normal childhood ones you'd probably have received. Unless you're going to do medicine or something in which case you'll need Hep B. What were you contemplating getting?

ReputationRep:
    I sorted a bank account today in about 30 minutes... jsut got to wait to turn it into a student account when i get the unconditional.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    However depending where you are coming from it might be possible to set up an account with a UK bank with branches in your country (HSBC springs to mind) which could then be used or transferred to a UK branch/account...not sure how possible this is though.
    Or a foreign bank with branches in this country like Hong Kong and Shanghai bank (HSBC) or Yourkshire Banks (Bank of Australia)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Coming to the UK doesn't require any more vaccinations than the normal childhood ones you'd probably have received. Unless you're going to do medicine or something in which case you'll need Hep B. What were you contemplating getting?

im planning to take hep a and b .. as well as chicken pox..

ReputationRep:
    Only teasing PQ. I've been in a strange mood recently

It amuses me how many people don't know what HSBC is. And it also amuses me how some companies claim to belong to whichever country it is selling itself in eg General Motors - Vauxhall in the UK, Holden in Australia but rally it's american.

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.