Facebook 'friends'... Watch

Binary Freak
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Nae)
Was holding an interesting discussion today (after seeing the Facebook billboards,) about how people have become desensitised to the word 'friends'.
Friends are now people that we hardly know at all. I think it's particularly concerning that we're using a word that is considered safe by children to address people we know almost nothing about.
What's your view?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Agreed. I wouldn't usually add someone unless I had the intention on talking to them. Similarly I wouldn't keep someone that I hardly talk to. Though there's some exceptions to this rule. Most people have at least 400 friends. I don't see the point. Half of them they have absolutely no contact whatsoever.

I have more followers on here than what I have friends on Facebook :teehee:
username927016
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've only got a few people out of about 50 odd that I actually would consider anything like a friend tbh, the others won't even give me the time of day really, won't rush to my aid if I need help etc.However I still keep them just in case they ever want to hang out & be friends :lol:
rachel.h
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Nae)
Seems that you are in the minority. The billboards that I saw seemed to be suggesting that 'friend' is a loose term for anyone that you interact with. Friend means more than that to most people, but when looking at someone's friend list on Facebook it's questionable how many of these people they really know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maybe. I'm a teacher too so I'm careful about my social media.
damoni
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Vikki1805)
Are you trying to say that Ahmed Bayraktar, whom I've never met, living in Turkey, just myself and 12 other girls on his friend list. with a profile picture of a sports car...doesn't really want to be my friend, but has some sort of ulterior motive?

:zomg:
i'd say that could be a possibility, yes, so be careful on facebook.
Looby14
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I completely agree with you I am doing my dissertation on nightclub promotions on Facebook and it is very interesting to see how many people have nightclubs as 'friends' If you get the chance could you help me out and fill out my dissertation survey it only takes 30 seconds!

https://docs.google.com/a/student.le...w1ggM/viewform

Thanks in advance!
NotJustAName
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think the term "friend" is used loosely in society anyway. Some people who we wouldn't consider friends would consider us friends. If you ask someone how many friends they have, they might tell you hundreds. If you ask someone else, they might tell you about ten. The way they define friends can be very different. One could write an essay on what it is that defines being a friend. You could say the person who hangs out with me every day is my friend, but I could say actually I have no choice to hang out with them and we just hang out because I'm bored.
galaxica
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Binary Freak)
Agreed. I wouldn't usually add someone unless I had the intention on talking to them. Similarly I wouldn't keep someone that I hardly talk to. Though there's some exceptions to this rule. Most people have at least 400 friends. I don't see the point. Half of them they have absolutely no contact whatsoever.

I have more followers on here than what I have friends on Facebook :teehee:
Over 9000?
NJA
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Name:  14066287_10209143977428162_3278854586703608929_o.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  14.8 KB
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (246)
39.42%
No - but I will (42)
6.73%
No - I don't want to (45)
7.21%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (291)
46.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed