The Student Room Group

Minimizing Distractions?

OK, so I am a horrible procrastinator. Right now it is the night before an exam and I have barely studied at all. I have had the intention of study the previous few nights but always ended up distracted by things like Reddit and Youtube and got very little actual studying done, yet still was up far later than I should have been...
I heard about an application for Mac that will block sites for you for a certain amount of time, but I have Windows. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to minimize distractions?
Join the club I will be studying and hear my xbox calling me to come play.. better to go to a library and be around other people studying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BlackberryBoss
Join the club I will be studying and hear my xbox calling me to come play.. better to go to a library and be around other people studying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a good idea, I like to go to coffee shops to study too.
What's the biggest issue is when I get home from school or work in the evenings and just want to stretch out and let my brain turn to mush on Youtube or something, haha
Reply 3
I use the 'StayFocusd' Google Chrome extension.

It allows you to set a certain amount of time (e.g. 1 hour) for selected days of the week. Then, you can add a list of distracting sites you want to avoid (including the Google Chrome extensions page to stop yourself from disabling the extension).

When the extension is active, the 1 hour countdown starts whenever you access a blocked site. Once the 1 hour is over, you can not change the time or access any of the blocked sites however the time will reset for the next day.

To try and change the settings you have to type a displayed paragraph perfectly without any typos/errors otherwise it will restart.

For a desired amount of time (e.g. 2 hours) you can activate 'nuclear mode' which will prohibit access to the blocked sites for 2 hours (this acts like a study timer).
Original post by SkyJP

It allows you to set a certain amount of time (e.g. 1 hour) for selected days of the week. Then, you can add a list of distracting sites you want to avoid (including the Google Chrome extensions page to stop yourself from disabling the extension).

When the extension is active, the 1 hour countdown starts whenever you access a blocked site. Once the 1 hour is over, you can not change the time or access any of the blocked sites however the time will reset for the next day.

To try and change the settings you have to type a displayed paragraph perfectly without any typos/errors otherwise it will restart.

For a desired amount of time (e.g. 2 hours) you can activate 'nuclear mode' which will prohibit access to the blocked sites for 2 hours (this acts like a study timer).

Wow that's perfect, thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by SkyJP

Personally I don't like apps and extensions like that. They just annoy the hell outta me haha :biggrin: I tend to switch of the computer if I don't need to use it for past papers, or just download past papers onto my phone which doesn't have any fun games on it. If you don't need it, I suggest you do the same, because it seems like you're like me who gets distracted mainly by the beauty of internet hahaha Oh, and set yourself goals - WRITE THEM DOWN! And tick them off when you complete them, and if not put a big red cross - it can guilt trip you into doing the work. It's a great way to force yourself to do things. Hope that helps more or less! :smile:
Original post by Pepperyy
Personally I don't like apps and extensions like that. They just annoy the hell outta me haha :biggrin: I tend to switch of the computer if I don't need to use it for past papers, or just download past papers onto my phone which doesn't have any fun games on it. If you don't need it, I suggest you do the same, because it seems like you're like me who gets distracted mainly by the beauty of internet hahaha Oh, and set yourself goals - WRITE THEM DOWN! And tick them off when you complete them, and if not put a big red cross - it can guilt trip you into doing the work. It's a great way to force yourself to do things. Hope that helps more or less! :smile:

It does, thanks!
Original post by D_ecrivaine
I like to go to coffee shops to study too.

How to u study at coffee shops dont they tell u to leave after a period of time when u have finnished their coffee

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by AsandaLFC
How to u study at coffee shops dont they tell u to leave after a period of time when u have finnished their coffee

Posted from TSR Mobile

What coffee shop does that lol? :s-smilie:
Original post by SkyJP

Omg I need this whenever I'm on the laptop

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by samba
What coffee shop does that lol? :s-smilie:

How can you u sit on someones shop for 10hrs when u had your coffee 9 hrs ago ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
How can you u sit on someones shop for 10hrs when u had your coffee 9 hrs ago ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol, loads of people run their businesses from starbucks these days, never mind students. I think the general feeling is the '3 hour rule' - ie. you buy something every 3 hours :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Though I usually don't spend more than 1-4ish hours, I've never had a problem. Though also being on a college campus helps, they're probably more lenient.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending