The Student Room Group

Tell me a story - writing prompt game thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rachaelftw
Been lurking around this thread for a while, and thought I'd actually contribute.

I used the "Computer says no" prompt :biggrin:

“Front door open” I panted, as I stood outside the apartment, my arms full of shopping. “Yes, Lucy. Welcome home”, replied Geo the computer system wired into our flat. The door opened and I threw my bags onto the breakfast bar, scanning the room. The lights were on, the window open and the news could be heard in the background, yet the apartment was empty. “Nick?” I called out, but there was no reply. “Goddammit Nick,” I cursed, “never here when you need him”. I began to unpack, hearing bits of the news. “…cause remains unknown…immediate evacuation…” This caught my attention and I looked up. What the hell? “Geo, volume up, please”, I ordered the AI system, intrigued by the news. “Yes, Lucy”. As the volume increased my expression turned from confusion to shock. “…urge all citizens to evacuate to remote parts of the country where technology and AI sources are scarce.” I stood there in shock. “TV off please, Geo.” What was happening? A nationwide evacuation? What was wrong with the AI’s? The TV remained on. “Geo. TV off.” Nothing happened. “Goddamn technology” I thought. Wait a second. I thought back to what the news had said and it slowly clicked. I walked over to the window and saw nothing. Not a single person. “Where the hell is everybody?” I mumbled. And where the hell was Nick!? I grabbed my coat and made my way to the door. “Geo, front door open”, I said, my pulse beginning to race. Nothing happened. “Geo? Front door open!” I banged my fist on the door. No reply. “GEO!” I was practically banging the door down now. “Sorry, Lucy,” replied the AI, “the computer says no.”

Great story! It reminded me of this:

Original post by lustawny

Oooh, just watched that and it is strangely similar!
I think a space mission is a little more exciting though, than my lady putting her shopping away :laugh:

Watched this film for the first time the other week. Completely amazing.

Spoiler

Original post by Puddles the Monkey

Spoiler

plenty of monkeys there :colondollar:

https://sjmj91.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/2001space043.jpg
Original post by rachaelftw
Oooh, just watched that and it is strangely similar!
I think a space mission is a little more exciting though, than my lady putting her shopping away :laugh:

Your story is exciting! I loved it, don't worry!

Original post by Puddles the Monkey

Spoiler

I haven't yet seen the film all the way through, sadly! I've only seen that one scene with HAL refusing to open the doors.

Ah, that sounds interesting! I'll try and watch the film sometime soon - thanks for not revealing too much about that scene! :tongue:

I haven't yet seen the film all the way through, sadly! I've only seen that one scene with HAL refusing to open the doors.

Ah, that sounds interesting! I'll try and watch the film sometime soon - thanks for not revealing too much about that scene! :tongue:

It's really amazing. Really. I loved it so much. You need to watch the whole thing.

:yep:

Wrong type of monkey though :frown:

Is that a true monkey, though? Or just a man in a monkey costume? :tongue:
Is that a true monkey, though? Or just a man in a monkey costume? :tongue:

:dontknow:

i think they used real monkeys in Planet of the Apes :rolleyes:
Original post by the bear
:dontknow:

i think they used real monkeys in Planet of the Apes :rolleyes:

That's another film I desperately need to see...

Thank you!!
I think I'm going to go watch this film at some point too!
Although I get too caught up in films and get carried away and Ill be literally scared of anything technological for weeks afterwards :colondollar:
Clint Eastwood's co-star in this film is actually Danny de Vito in a monkey suit:

http://www.thehighhat.com/Nitrate/007/pierce01.jpg

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending