The Student Room Group

Does a Master's degree worth it?

Hello,

so my situation is quite particular. I'm french and applying to several master's degrees in UK. I already have a bachelor in communication and would like to learn more about the cultural field, so I chose degrees in cultural and creatives departments. But some people are freaking me out : they say that master's degrees worth nothing in UK, that this is too much money to spend ! Since I will be working besides studies, and moving in another country is a big step, I don't want to waste my time and know what I'm going through !

So juste if you could give me your advice on this subject, if studying abroad worth the thing?

Thanks a lot :smile:
Reply 1
I'm not sure if I will be much help...but in my opinion it depends if you're going to go back to France to work afterwards or stay in the UK.

I have a Masters degree from a UK university (first class from a decent uni at that..with a year in industry), but moved to France after graduating and have had nothing but trouble finding a job. Unlike in France and perhaps other European countries a Master is typically only one year long in the UK, so most people in France see it as a Master 1, not a full Master 2. Most jobs I wanted to apply for wanted a Bac +5 but I technically don't have that, so I wasn't qualified for most jobs even though I'd be qualified to do the same job in the UK. I've really have to fight to get people to understand what my degree is, and in order to find a job I've had to supplement my masters with another (expensive) course. Very very frustrating!! Though maybe since you're French you'd have less trouble...who knows!

Also, whether a Master is worth doing depends entirely on the job you want to do. If you can get the same job with just a Bachelors then I don't think it's worth it...Masters are expensive :/ For you though as it would give you some international experience the personal skills you'd gain from doing the Masters could be valuable and make you stand out from the competition.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If the whole purpose in doing the masters degree is to improve your chances of employment I would say do not do it. In my opinion there are 3 reasons to do a masters based on improving chances of employment.

1) The profession requires a it or a higher qualification it i.e Doctor
2) You are employed in a role and have experience and you now want to build on that experience by taking a masters.
3) Your goal in life is to be a researcher or academic.

Beyond that I would save your money until you get a profession and then revisit the whole masters thing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending