The Student Room Group

Mature student looking to study philosophy

Hello,

Over the past couple of weeks, I have been scouring the internet for useful information on how to go about becoming a mature student. Many things I have found were very useful (not least of all the many threads here, so thanks to all of those contributing!), but, as with any kind of general information, I found that they did not always apply to my situation.

This situation is as follows (and I will try to keep it as short as I can):

I have just turned 30, am in full-time employment, and would like to study Philosophy with the aim of becoming a lecturer/professor one day.

Unfortunately, I do not have any qualifications whatsoever, which means I first have to consider what qualifications I need as a mature student to be accepted into the university/-ies of my choice.

The reason I have no qualifications is because I left school before I could get my GCSEs --- and this was in a different country. This is all a bit complex, but long story short, whatever I have got from that time is not worth very much now, and it has been a long time since I have received any formal education.

I know the traditional path is gaining your GCSEs and then doing A-levels.

After some deliberation, my plan was to just go straight for A-levels, and I have already spoken to a local college that would let me sit them as a private candidate. My intention was to do my A-levels in Maths, Physics and English literature and sit them as a private candidate before applying to university.

My main question today is: if I manage to get good grades for those A-levels, but am without GCSEs as a mature student, will this be an issue? Some universities do list a certain number of GCSEs as a requirement, but I wonder if exceptions are made for mature students?

Other than this, feel free to comment with any constructive feedback and tips you might have. Whilst I am British, i have not grown up and gone to school here, and as such, there are many gaping holes in my knowledge of these things.

If you require some more information, please do let me know. May I also say that your help would be really appreciated, since I feel I have exhausted most of the information that I have found online, and am really just looking for new, constructive input.

Kind regards
Thank you very much for your reply. I will need to look into those Access courses again, as, to be honest, I didn't really understand how they worked and what they do.

EDIT: Just had a look again but it seems these are full-time and not easy to combine with a full-time job. I can't ditch the job at this point, I am afraid. And the courses no longer seem to include Maths & English GCSEs... oh dear.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by UlyssesRedeemed
Thank you very much for your reply. I will need to look into those Access courses again, as, to be honest, I didn't really understand how they worked and what they do.

Yeah do an access course, you will need GCSE maths and english if you want to be a teacher tbh.. possibly even science. You can self-study these anyway, there are also online learning providers or even night classes at most colleges for maths and english gcse tuition, alot of the time free of charge, but due to your fulltime employment Id go with an online provider. Even try youtube video courses.. the resources for GCSE tuition are endless its all amout having the time/motivation to do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rugar Rell
Yeah do an access course, you will need GCSE maths and english if you want to be a teacher tbh.. possibly even science. You can self-study these anyway, there are also online learning providers or even night classes at most colleges for maths and english gcse tuition, alot of the time free of charge, but due to your fulltime employment Id go with an online provider. Even try youtube video courses.. the resources for GCSE tuition are endless its all amout having the time/motivation to do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The problem that I have had with many of these Access courses is that they do not seem to go together very well with full-time employment.

Thanks for your reply!
The problem that I have had with many of these Access courses is that they do not seem to go together very well with full-time employment.

Thanks for your reply!

Youre right, my mate did it whilst working fulltime for a year.. I barely saw him and when I did he was very tired and overworked... Hes now at uni and has dropped to part-time.. cant you go part-time?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Most unis now insist on English and Maths GCSE at Grade C or above, even from mature students, so you need to be looking into those.

You really need to contact a few unis direct, and ask their Admissions Office for the best route in. Many prefer Access courses from mature students, as they are a more uni-like learning experience than A Levels. Not only will they give the uni a better idea of how you'll cope, but you'll have more information about whether uni learning us for you.

Have you considered distance learning via the Open University? Their qualifications are very well respected and could be fitted around work.
Hello,

Thank you all so much for your answers. The Access to HE seems to be more of a full-time thing and is not combinable with my work, as I work very irregular hours. I will need to keep the job until I start my degree.

For now, I think what I will do is get the GCSEs in Maths & English first and then sit A-levels as a private candidate. If that fails, I will have some time to get more GCSEs and will know what I need to do better next time. Hopefully my enthusiasm and other skills will shine through as well.
Reply 7
Hello,

Thank you all so much for your answers. The Access to HE seems to be more of a full-time thing and is not combinable with my work, as I work very irregular hours. I will need to keep the job until I start my degree.

For now, I think what I will do is get the GCSEs in Maths & English first and then sit A-levels as a private candidate. If that fails, I will have some time to get more GCSEs and will know what I need to do better next time. Hopefully my enthusiasm and other skills will shine through as well.

Completely understand. But do be aware that unis may not accept A Levels from a mature student - even recent ones. The entry requirements aren't the same as those published on their websites, which are aimed at school leavers. Mature student entry is decided on a case-by-case basis.

Good luck.
Hi,

Why would they not accept recent A-levels from a mature student? I think I will probably need to enquire with the unis in question in this case...

Regards
Reply 9
Hi,

Why would they not accept recent A-levels from a mature student? I think I will probably need to enquire with the unis in question in this case...

Regards

I think checking this direct with unis is absolutely the wisest course of action at this point.

A Level learning is quite unlike uni study, where Access courses are much closer to a uni-type experience. A Levels are really aimed at getting you to pass A Level exams - they "teach to test". Access courses give the uni (and you) a much clearer indication of how you will cope with the more independent study and wider outcomes required for a degree course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending