Was Homosexuality normal from last couple of centuries or beginnin of time.

Watch
sdvds
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Were there any homosexuals during the Ice Age, If so then wouldn't human race be affected exponentially.
Smash Bandicoot
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Homosexuality was a social taboo, it's been around far far longer than it was legal to engage in and admit to due to religion and other forms of population control via ideology.

le face palm
DiddyDec01
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm pretty sure that the ancient Greeks were big into homosexuality. Their antics can be traced back to about 800BC documented in the Iliad.
TroyAndAbed
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It was "normal" in the sense of existing but it wasn't "normal" in the sense of being accepted by society.
galaxica
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My guess would be that homosexual people had always existed. There are some clues and evidence from ancient civilisations that suggest that people were aware of homosexuals for thousands of years. The same-sex acts are also not uncommon in hundreds of animal species, which further adds credence that not all animals are completely 'heterosexual'.

However, since homosexual humans comprise only 4% of the population, it is unlikely that the human race would had been "affected exponentially".

Also, define "normal". The word "homosexual" is actually a relatively modern word which did not exist since the "beginning of time".
Arkasia
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Nah, it's only been around since 11.42am last thursday.
TheTechN1304
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It only became taboo a few hundred years ago I think. If you look at various parts of history (ancient Greece, ancient Japan), it was seen as normal.
galaxica
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Arkasia)
Nah, it's only been around since 11.42am last thursday.
What are you on about? It was invented by the US government circa 1949 by contaminating the main water supply with secret chemical compounds that induced the same-sex attractions in approximately 5-10% of the human population.
Octohedral
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The human population has skyrocketed in the last couple of centuries, to the extent that the Chinese banned couples from having more than one child. Population isn't our biggest concern right now.

However, there's no reason why homosexuality during the Ice Age would have depleted the population.
- It could have been a social taboo.
- It could be that couples needed children in order to have a good life in old age.
- It could be that there were religious / spiritual reasons to take a wife and pass on your 'bloodline'.
- It could be that without homosexuality the population would have grown exponentially.
- It could be that no matter what the birth rates were, resources always kept the population at a constant level (more resources = fewer infant deaths, fewer resources = more infant deaths).
Arkasia
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by perspiracious)
What are you on about? It was invented by the US government circa 1949 by contaminating the main water supply with secret chemical compounds that induced the same-sex attraction in approximately 5-10% of the human population.
Indeed, I think you are on to something, you should probably write a book detailing your findings.

I will then proceed to symbolically burn it.
DSG7799
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Homosexuality is found in all animal species and so it is normal however humans have classed it as unnatural and against God making it seem not normal

Posted from TSR Mobile
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by TroyAndAbed)
It was "normal" in the sense of existing but it wasn't "normal" in the sense of being accepted by society.
It was accepted by Greek and Roman society...
zedeneye1
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by sdvds)
Were there any homosexuals during the Ice Age, If so then wouldn't human race be affected exponentially.
there's something in our genes that makes us not like homosexuals. That's why homosexualism never really caught up with the more sensible heterosexualism (which is productive).

Can't really blame anyone for being homophobic, he's like that by nature most likely.
TornadoGR4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's always been normal

It's not always been accepted
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by DSG7799)
Homosexuality is found in all animal species
Posted from TSR Mobile
I wouldn't go that far. Homosexuality is indeed widespread in the animal kingdom, but there are many species in which it would be physically impossible.
DSG7799
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
I wouldn't go that far. Homosexuality is indeed widespread in the animal kingdom, but there are many species in which it would be physically impossible.
fair enough i just know that not only humans are homosexual don't know which animals are and aren't

Posted from TSR Mobile
Munrot07
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by sdvds)
Well considering loads of other species have homosexual members I can't see why that would have become recent in all species over the last few hundred years...it makes no sense. Almost certainly it has been going on for millions of years. Why would it affect the human race? It only would if a large enough proportion were homosexual. Perhaps millions of years ago there were lots of bisexual so it wouldn't have that big an effect.
silverbolt
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by perspiracious)
What are you on about? It was invented by the US government circa 1949 by contaminating the main water supply with secret chemical compounds that induced the same-sex attractions in approximately 5-10% of the human population.
It wasnt the Mericans, it was the Commies to persuade Regan that Monroe was a dude
Astronomical
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
It was accepted by Greek and Roman society...
Not during the full temporal extent of their civilisations, although certainly for large periods of time it was.
Rugar Rell
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No its only come in since grahem norton came on tv.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (133)
29.82%
No (313)
70.18%

Watched Threads