The Student Room Group

You are 4 times more likely to be killed by lightning or bees than Islamic terrorism

Scroll to see replies

Original post by askew116
It's very sad that you feel, as a tax payer, you're spending too much on saving lives. Human life is priceless, and every measure that can be taken to prevent terrorism should be.

A human life is not priceless. The NHS put a price on life every single day.
Original post by DiddyDec
A human life is not priceless. The NHS put a price on life every single day.

The NHS puts a price on treatment, not life. They're not actively killing patients (one or two rogue staff notwithstanding).

So if someone offered you $9m in return for them killing one of your family, you'd be OK with that?
The NHS puts a price on treatment, not life. They're not actively killing patients (one or two rogue staff notwithstanding).

So if someone offered you $9m in return for them killing one of your family, you'd be OK with that?

No.
Original post by DiddyDec
No.

Nor would I expect you to be. That's my point.

Perhaps a better way round to put that scenario would be instead of offering a sum to kill a loved one, assume this person is going to kill them, but offers not to, in return for everything you have to give (assuming, in this hypothetical scenario, they can be trusted to keep their word). So you'd have your loved one, but would be literally penniless, your assets reduced to 0.

If it was me, I'd take that offer; my loved one's lives have no limit on value, so whatever I could give, I would.

Now, changing the scenario, this hypothetical killer has someone unknown to you, and offers you the same choice.

Again, if it was me, I'd also take the offer, as I couldn't live with knowing I had the power to save someone's life but chose not to.
Nor would I expect you to be. That's my point.

Perhaps a better way round to put that scenario would be instead of offering a sum to kill a loved one, assume this person is going to kill them, but offers not to, in return for everything you have to give (assuming, in this hypothetical scenario, they can be trusted to keep their word). So you'd have your loved one, but would be literally penniless, your assets reduced to 0.

If it was me, I'd take that offer; my loved one's lives have no limit on value, so whatever I could give, I would.

Now, changing the scenario, this hypothetical killer has someone unknown to you, and offers you the same choice.

Again, if it was me, I'd also take the offer, as I couldn't live with knowing I had the power to save someone's life but chose not to.

If my assets were reduced to 0. It would cost me £3.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aj12
Now think about why this is the case? Because terrorists aren't trying or millions have to be spent on counter terrorism efforts?

Posted from TSR Mobile

let's stop terrorism... by becoming terrorists ourselves!!11!1!!!!

A most excellent thread.
It's very sad that you feel, as a tax payer, you're spending too much on saving lives. Human life is priceless, and every measure that can be taken to prevent terrorism should be.

*Spoiler we all die. It just so happens we spend obscene amounts on preventing terrorism, especially overseas and on our shores, when people are slowly dying on our own doorstep because they can't afford to feed themselves etc. I think its better to have a good quality of life than a misery- filled long life.
Original post by LivngForSummer
If you are American you are 4 times more likely to be killed by a bolt of lightning than Islamic terrorism OR If you are British; Bees and wasps have caused as many deaths in the UK as terrorism in the past decade.

How many Americans have been killed in Islamic- related terrorist attacks inside the United States since the September 11, 2001, atrocities? Well, According to the figures published in the Global Terrorism Database there have been a total of 24 deaths.

As for the UK, since the London Bombings in 2005? 1.
With an estimate of 5 people a year.

According to Sociologist Charles Kurbin of the 150,000 murders taken place in the United States, Muslim Americans are responsible for 33 that is less than 1%.

Taking these figures into account, a rough calculation suggests that in the last five years, your chances of being killed by a terrorist are about one in 20 million. This compares annual risk of dying in a car accident of 1 in 19,000; drowning in a bathtub at 1 in 800,000; dying in a building fire at 1 in 99,000; or being struck by lightning at 1 in 5,500,000. In other words, in the last five years you were four times more likely to be struck by lightning than killed by a terrorist.

If you are British; Bees and wasps have caused as many deaths in the UK as terrorism in the past decade, an independent watchdog has found.

Here is a short list of questions and ideas to consider if you think these statistics are relevant to a discussion about ISIS:

The degree to which something is a "problem"

Does the threat posed by bees/wasps and lightning need to be solved?

Does moral reprehensibility (i.e. the human agency behind ISIS) make ISIS more of a "problem"?

Is something only a "problem" if its most obvious negative consequences (in this case, death) are unlikely to effect me?

Solvability

Can the problem of bees/wasps and lightning be solved?

Would solving the highlighted consequences (death) in fact be desirable considering wider ramifications?

Is apathy likely to compound the problem, or even cause further issues?

Will ISIS get worse, killing more people and ruining more lives, if left alone?

Does the same apply to bees and lightning?

Will this problem then grow to effect me more closely?

Is the use of one factor (death) a good measure of the size of the problem?

The importance of other non-mortal threats (economic, social, political, ethical, cultural, etc.) should be considered.

Whilst I am unlikely to die by the hands of ISIS, am I otherwise being harmed by their actions?

Is prioritisation necessary?

Why should the concurrence of multiple problems mean that any one of them should be ignored?

Do I have any empathy for the threat experienced by others?

Is it worthwhile expressing empathy so as to encourage such an attitude in society?

Not comprehensive, but I hope it at least offers food for thought.
A wasp has actually brought down a plane tbf. One got stuck in the plane's pitot tube, which eventually caused the loss of the aircraft, killing 189 people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birgenair_Flight_301

Did the wasp plan it?

Was the wasp successful after previous attempts to cause loss of life for political gain had failed?
Original post by MatureStudent36
I haven't seen a wasp hijack three planes and kill 3500 people.

I guess you could've used the same apologist argument after pearl harbour. Sadly, they don't jive.

My point in making this thread is that I think we hear about the threat Islamic terrorism poses to us way too much (like at least once everyday if you watch the news) when in reality statistics show that the likelihood of being a victim of this kind of terrorism is not as prevalent as you would suppose. In short you can't live your life in fear of something that most likely will not happen.
My point in making this thread is that I think we hear about the threat Islamic terrorism poses to us way too much (like at least once everyday if you watch the news) when in reality statistics show that the likelihood of being a victim of this kind of terrorism is not as prevalent as you would suppose. In short you can't live your life in fear of something that most likely will not happen.

What do you do if 3500 of your Citiziens are killed by terrorists?

Act on it? Hope it won't happen again?
What do you do if 3500 of your Citiziens are killed by terrorists?

Act on it? Hope it won't happen again?

Depends how you act on it. The Iraq war debacle killed way more innocent people over a million if we're to believe Amnesty.
Depends how you act on it. The Iraq war debacle killed way more innocent people over a million if we're to believe Amnesty.

You know most Iraqi casualties were caused by errrr iraqis?
You know most Iraqi casualties were caused by errrr iraqis?

So they would have died even if there wasn't a war? I smell bull****.
So they would have died even if there wasn't a war? I smell bull****.

No. But there was no intent on creating civilian casulaties.

You are however attempting to try to derail the thread
You're more likely to be killed by Mossad in the West than a Muslim terrorist.
I haven't seen a wasp hijack three planes and kill 3500 people.

I guess you could've used the same apologist argument after pearl harbour. Sadly, they don't jive.

PRSOM
Reply 37
We can't get rid of lightning but we can get rid of islamic terrorism. What's your point?
Reply 38

Prior to the second war in Iraq how many Iraqis were slaughtered by Saddam Hussein?

"The Documental Centre for Human Rights in Iraq has compiled documentation on over 600,000 civilian executions in Iraq. Coldly taken as a daily average for the 24 years of Saddam's reign, these numbers give us a horrifying picture of between 70 and 125 civilian deaths per day for every one of Saddam's 8,000-odd days in power."
more likely to be killed by mEMES than you are by future

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending