The Student Room Group

Centripetal force fairground rides content ISA

Hi,
I'm just finishing off my research notes for my physics ISA (controlled assessment) and I'm not sure how to relate my experiment to our context.

I'm going to do an experiment investigating how increasing the centripetal force will increase the sped of the object. My context is the design of fairground rides (one that spin around e.g. a carousel). How can I relate the two?

Thank you!

(EDIT: Sorry in the title I mean context, not content! :colondollar:)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by orangeee22
Hi,
I'm just finishing off my research notes for my physics ISA (controlled assessment) and I'm not sure how to relate my experiment to our context.

I'm going to do an experiment investigating how increasing the centripetal force will increase the sped of the object. My context is the design of fairground rides (one that spin around e.g. a carousel). How can I relate the two?

Thank you!

(EDIT: Sorry in the title I mean context, not content! :colondollar:)

Well, using what you have learnt about centripetal force you know that it rotates objects and this increases the speed, which results in some objects flying off. Therefore you could say to ensure fairground safety you could make sure the rotation around the center is not TOO fast and if you increase the mass you will therefore increase the stability of the object to stop it from flying outwards...

I hope this is correct and makes sense, I just quickly ran through my notes on this. Feel free to ask any other ISA related questions or questions on this ^, I hope I have got it right....
Reply 2
Original post by Calzs34
Well, using what you have learnt about centripetal force you know that it rotates objects and this increases the speed, which results in some objects flying off. Therefore you could say to ensure fairground safety you could make sure the rotation around the center is not TOO fast and if you increase the mass you will therefore increase the stability of the object to stop it from flying outwards...

I hope this is correct and makes sense, I just quickly ran through my notes on this. Feel free to ask any other ISA related questions or questions on this ^, I hope I have got it right....

Okay thank you!
Original post by orangeee22
Okay thank you!

The equation to support this is F=MA. Force=Mass*Acceleration

Quick Reply

Latest