The Student Room Group
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website

Plymouth Optometry 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sheepshap
Hiya, Im starting optometry at plym next year. I was wondering whats the course structure like and what specifically were the 'ups and downs'. Could you give any tips for 1st year and things to prepare for.
Sorry for all the questions

Thanks!

**Also is there tightnit optom community (similar to medsoc)? are the EyeSoc socials any good?

Hi, first of all I would like to say congratulations on securing a place at plymouth university to study optometry :smile:. In the first year, you'll complete seven modules which are divided over the three terms that a typical university year contains. Over the first term you'll do the following modules, OPT101 - Evidence Based Practice in which you'll have to critically appraise a research paper highlighting its strengths and weaknesses and stating how its findings would be applicable to optometric practice, OPT102 - Introduction to human anatomy and physiology, this is basically a recap of some topics from A level biology with some additional bits, the examination comes in the form of MCQs and SAQs, OPT103 - Introduction to ocular anatomy and physiology, this pays particular attention to the different parts of the eye and their functions in lots of detail, the examinations comes in the form of MCQs and SAQs, OPT104 - Geometrical and Physical Optics, a lot of maths of physics and the examination will consist of '4' questions which will be a mixture of theory and calculation questions, you'll have to answer '3' of them. Finally OPT105 - Clinical skills 1, in which involves practical sessions as well as lectures concerning different clinical techniques currently used in optometric practice, this module is partly assessed through objective structural clinical examinations (OSCEs), 4 active and 1 passive. You'll also have to write a reflective statement following a one week placement visit you'll complete within the first term. Modules OPT101, OPT102 & OPT104 finish at christmas (end of term 1) whereas modules OPT103 & OPT105 carry on throughout the year. Modules OPT106 - visual optics & ophthalmic lenses and OPT 107 - visual perception begin in term 2 and carry on to the end of the year.

My 'ups' were just getting to know 2nd and 3rd years through EyeSoc that I mentioned before and also attending OPFEST & Eyeball, two events on the optometry calender that should not be missed. The 'downs' were that it took a while to settle in and I felt myself falling behind at times. But don't worry, everything has worked in my favour and I am proud of the results I have acheived. You'll be fine, first year is not too bad when you get into the swing of things. With regards to EyeSoc for the 2014/2015 academic year, I will honestly admit that the first years kept their distance from the 2nd and 3rd years with the exception of myself and a few other first years who did get to know the 2nd and 3rd years through attending social events and things. Don't get the wrong impression, but in past years, EyeSoc has been successful I believe it will continue to be successful as long as all attempts are made to engage the first years as much as possible. I certainly will adhere to this as social sec for the 2015/2016 academic year. Personally, I thought the EyeSoc socials were good.

Hope this helps and sorry for the essay, haha.
(edited 8 years ago)
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website
Original post by AdamOgidi
Hi, first of all I would like to say congratulations on securing a place at plymouth university to study optometry :smile:. In the first year, you'll complete seven modules which are divided over the three terms that a typical university year contains. Over the first term you'll do the following modules, OPT101 - Evidence Based Practice in which you'll have to critically appraise a research paper highlighting its strengths and weaknesses and stating how its findings would be applicable to optometric practice, OPT102 - Introduction to human anatomy and physiology, this is basically a recap of some topics from A level biology with some additional bits, the examination comes in the form of MCQs and SAQs, OPT103 - Introduction to ocular anatomy and physiology, this pays particular attention to the different parts of the eye and their functions in lots of detail, the examinations comes in the form of MCQs and SAQs, OPT104 - Geometrical and Physical Optics, a lot of maths of physics and the examination will consist of '4' questions which will be a mixture of theory and calculation questions, you'll have to answer '3' of them. Finally OPT105 - Clinical skills 1, in which involves practical sessions as well as lectures concerning different clinical techniques currently used in optometric practice, this module is partly assessed through objective structural clinical examinations (OSCEs), 4 active and 1 passive. You'll also have to write a reflective statement following a one week placement visit you'll complete within the first term. Modules OPT101, OPT102 & OPT104 finish at christmas (end of term 1) whereas modules OPT103 & OPT105 carry on throughout the year. Modules OPT106 - visual optics & ophthalmic lenses and OPT 107 - visual perception begin in term 2 and carry on to the end of the year.

My 'ups' were just getting to know 2nd and 3rd years through EyeSoc that I mentioned before and also attending OPFEST & Eyeball, two events on the optometry calender that should not be missed. The 'downs' were that it took a while to settle in and I felt myself falling behind at times. But don't worry, everything has worked in my favour and I am proud of the results I have acheived. You'll be fine, first year is not too bad when you get into the swing of things. With regards to EyeSoc for the 2014/2015 academic year, I will honestly admit that the first years kept their distance from the 2nd and 3rd years with the exception of myself and a few other first years who did get to know the 2nd and 3rd years through attending social events and things. Don't get the wrong impression, but in past years, EyeSoc has been successful I believe it will continue to be successful as long as all attempts are made to engage the first years as much as possible. I certainly will adhere to this as social sec for the 2015/2016 academic year. Personally, I thought the EyeSoc socials were good.

Wow, thank you so much for the information. I really look forward to next year :smile:
Hi, so in my year at Plymouth university, there are eight mature students but I suspect there will be more than this starting in the 2015/2016 academic year as they are offering up to 70 places this year which is double that of last year. The key subjects relating to optometry are physics with regards to the interaction of light with mediums most commonly in the form of ophthalmic lenses and also biology with regards to eye structures and function. Psychology will also be useful but not essential in aspects of visual perception. Chemistry is useful in the actual production of ophthalmic lenses. With regards to accommodation, I would say if you want something that is decent and affordable go for Robbins Halls. Gilwell, is the cheapest accommodation but wont necessarily meet the needs of students. If you haven't already, take a look at the following link:
https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/student-life/services/accommodation
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi,

Why not check our spacious private hall rooms at St Augustines House,

http://www.collegiate-ac.com/uk-student-accommodation/plymouth/st-augustines-house/rooms-rent

This really is student living, just better.

You will not be disappointed.

Collegiate Team
Wow! Bit pricey???

Adam, really appreciate your time and help 👌🏽
Hi, so in my year at Plymouth university, there are eight mature students but I suspect there will be more than this starting in the 2015/2016 academic year as they are offering up to 70 places this year which is double that of last year. The key subjects relating to optometry are physics with regards to the interaction of light with mediums most commonly in the form of ophthalmic lenses and also biology with regards to eye structures and function. Psychology will also be useful but not essential in aspects of visual perception. Chemistry is useful in the actual production of ophthalmic lenses. With regards to accommodation, I would say if you want something that is decent and affordable go for Robbins Halls. Gilwell, is the cheapest accommodation but wont necessarily meet the needs of students. If you haven't already, take a look at the following link:
https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/student-life/services/accommodation

Hi Thank you for your response it has been very helpful and informative.

Sorry I am new to this site so I was having difficulty with logging in my account,
Starboyz so its still me but I had to create a new account Archie Brown. lol
Has everyone completed their DBS and health check forms??

Also is it just me or is accommodation very expensive in Plymouth...
[QUOTE="Brown;58079671" Archie="Archie"]Has everyone completed their DBS and health check forms??

Also is it just me or is accommodation very expensive in Plymouth...[/QUOTE

Yes completed both Archie. Recommend doing the Dbs ASAP as it can take up to a month! This is very important certificate to possess before the start of the course.

Also the accommodation is expensive but cheap compared to London which is where I live, how about yourself?

Kav
[QUOTE="Snookerboy147;58080141"]
Original post by Archie Brown
Has everyone completed their DBS and health check forms??

Also is it just me or is accommodation very expensive in Plymouth...[/QUOTE

Yes completed both Archie. Recommend doing the Dbs ASAP as it can take up to a month! This is very important certificate to possess before the start of the course.

Also the accommodation is expensive but cheap compared to London which is where I live, how about yourself?

Kav

Ok thanks for your advise. I live in the midlands. Its a long drive but most likely I will be bringing my own car with me.
Sorry
Forgot to ask on the open days, did anyone mention any pre- reading etc for the course?

Also what the term dates would be roughly?
Reply 71
Just wanted to add a post as I'm starting Optometry at Plymouth in September as a mature student (42 - beat that!). Any other oldies? I've just completed an Access course and looking forward to the degree. See you all in September!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AndyStan
Just wanted to add a post as I'm starting Optometry at Plymouth in September as a mature student (42 - beat that!). Any other oldies? I've just completed an Access course and looking forward to the degree. See you all in September!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is great news, age is just a number.

Age is irrelevant when it comes to ambition and goals. I am just slightly younger at 28...
Hi, If you don't mind me asking..when did you hear that your place had been confirmed? I've completed a similar access course and had an offer in May, I've forwarded my transcript as I received all the grades in the offer but heard nothing yet? Many thanks
Hi Hannah, sorry I cant help with your query as I have not taken this route. I got an offer in March, best option would be to email the admissions department at Plymouth. Maybe some of the other members on this discussion can help....
Original post by Pixie Hannah
Hi, If you don't mind me asking..when did you hear that your place had been confirmed? I've completed a similar access course and had an offer in May, I've forwarded my transcript as I received all the grades in the offer but heard nothing yet? Many thanks

what were your results?
The qualification I undertook was the BTEC level 3 medical science extended diploma. I achieved triple distinction star.
I have A-levels in Bio and Chem where I achieved A in each but I have just completed the Extended science year 0 with Plymouth uni in lieu of a third A level. The required minimum was 75% and I got 80% so thought I would've heard by now. I'll give admissions a ring tomo. Many thanks
Original post by Pixie Hannah
I have A-levels in Bio and Chem where I achieved A in each but I have just completed the Extended science year 0 with Plymouth uni in lieu of a third A level. The required minimum was 75% and I got 80% so thought I would've heard by now. I'll give admissions a ring tomo. Many thanks

Wow. You achieved really good grades in A-levels. If you don't mind asking how old are you? I'm 19.
I'm 29. I took the A-levels when I was 27 and was originally looking at Pharmacy but that course would take another five years. I wish I'd figured out what I wanted to do when I was 19, LOL!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending