The Student Room Group
Reply 1
The knives at formal are from Ikea... and one sits on benches in hall. Other than that it is a very fine looking institution.
Reply 2
Informational tads coming up:

It's the only college in Cambridge where you get your laundry done for you. One 14oz bag a week. Yay!

Rooms vary from pretty small to absolutely vast. They're rated on a scale from 1-8 (though you're limited to 1-6 in your first year). Freshers are limited to North Court or South Court: South is a 60s block around the bar with grade 3-4 rooms; North is a much older court with rooms that vary a lot more. Trust the ratings system!

All rooms have mini-fridges. The vast majority have sinks. They all have free net access.

The housekeepers are called bedders, short for 'bedmakers'. Do not be fooled by the name, however; they do not make your bed.

Ducks are cool.

The library is great; except you have to have a special card to get in (and out), which I always leave in my room.

The food in hall is excellent -- the Emmanuel head chef recently won a cooking competition last week according to Varsity, IIRC.

You're allowed to walk on the grass (except in Front Court). This may not sound like much, but in every single other college apart from Girton, you're not.

Did I mention ducks are cool?

Cos they are.

14lbs not 14oz, 14oz is like a steak size dude :p: . Also, food in hall is excellent? We been eating in the same place?

We get a 10% discount at Savino's which is just outside North Court and does amazing coffee and sandwiches. Library is particularly good for historians and lawyers I think given the whole of the main section is taken up by our books.
Emma is fantastic.

The laundry is great, my bedder DOES make my bed for me (though I seem to be the only one!).

I wouldn't go as far as saying Hall food is excellent, but it's edible. You'd be hard pressed to find good catered food for this many students though.

Our bar is the cheapest in cambridge.

Rooms are indeed great. I have a grade 4 room and it's huge (for a university room anyway).

I don't have anything more useful today.

By the way, JohnStuartMill, I think I've worked out who you are.
JohnStuartMill
We get a 10% discount at Savino's which is just outside North Court and does amazing coffee and sandwiches. Library is particularly good for historians and lawyers I think given the whole of the main section is taken up by our books.

*dies* you get a discount at savinos? damn, I'm at the wrong college, always suspected it...hehe. also, yes, you have the best library for history I think, except for maybe sidney sussex. pembroke's is teeny and rubbish for medieval/early mod.
We're pretty good on early modern Europe yes, Peter Burke gave loads of books to the college so I can study the lovely rise of Louis XIV and the French Wars of Religion from the comfort of my own college. Also seem to have lots of early modern British books too even though I can't think of a fellow in recent times who has covered that period.

You think you've worked out who I am eh? Who would that be? :p:
Reply 7
JohnStuartMill
14lbs not 14oz, 14oz is like a steak size dude :p:

Bah, never been good with Imperial units. Why should I trust a system of units where "F=ma" is rendered as F=32.1740486ma? Metric all the way! :smile:

Also, food in hall is excellent? We been eating in the same place?

It's been quite good whilst I've been here. Especially the desserts. But I do remember a second year saying that it gets worse as the year progresses, so maybe that's a factor. But you're right, Savino's toasted cibattas are excellent.
JohnStuartMill
We're pretty good on early modern Europe yes, Peter Burke gave loads of books to the college so I can study the lovely rise of Louis XIV and the French Wars of Religion from the comfort of my own college. Also seem to have lots of early modern British books too even though I can't think of a fellow in recent times who has covered that period.

You think you've worked out who I am eh? Who would that be? :p:

Naming no names, but if you are indeed who I think you are, then you saw me running around college with a duvet at about midnight last night.

If not, then that never happened.
Reply 9
haha, after having never been to cambridge, Emmanuel sounds like the best college by far!

And i LOVE Ikea!! heh heh. Free laundry also sounds great, i wasn't really looking forward to doing that part, any chance of free ironing too? :P

Looks like my "ip dip" method worked mighty well :biggrin: Let's just hope i get in now... lol.

Any more contributions?
Reply 10
The worst part about going to Emmanuel is realising that one day you're probably going to have to leave.

*longs to be back at emma!*
parallelduck
Naming no names, but if you are indeed who I think you are, then you saw me running around college with a duvet at about midnight last night.

If not, then that never happened.

Wasn't me. PM what you think my name is.

Oh and ironing is not done for you but they tumbledry it and then fold it which is effectively the same (in student terms at least it is).
Curses.
Reply 13
Emma is like a prison. Both times I've been there I haven't been able to get out as the porter wasn't in his lodge and the front gate was locked and you can't get out of north court unless you have a card or something?! That said the underground passage is just about the coolest thing I've seen in Cambridge and the bar is extremely cheap.
Reply 14
Juneau
Emma is like a prison. Both times I've been there I haven't been able to get out as the porter wasn't in his lodge and the front gate was locked and you can't get out of north court unless you have a card or something?! That said the underground passage is just about the coolest thing I've seen in Cambridge and the bar is extremely cheap.

wow, you must have been unlucky - I've only ever had the front gate locked once on me.....but security is important - especially with the regal just down the road.
Reply 15
it's lovely :smile:
Reply 16
the best thing about emma is the bar - its on the way to soul tree :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending