The Student Room Group

Petroleum engineering second choice dilemma

Hello everybody,this is my first post on this forum so please be gentle with me.
I am having a difficult time on choosing a second option for my ucas application.
I am trying to decide which of those 2 universities should i choose for my petroleum engineering(undergraduate)degree
(Portsmouth University or Manchester University)Will be starting my undergraduate degree this autumn 2015.I wrote down on a paper the advantages and disadvantages.

Manchester University
-good passing mark
-has 4 years of study+master included
-is very well known in the top universities(like 30 i guess,as a good and tehnical university)
-BP(british petroleum)teachers in my degree
-No placement in the petroleum industry

Portsmouth University

-not as known as manchester in top universities
-good passing mark(lower than manchester)
-decent rank university,not the best,not the worst
-has 3 years of study but no master included,however it has a placement after graduation.
-1 year placement in the petroleum industry

I am really having a hard time trying to choose one of these 2.

My main problem is the employment and the employability after i finish the university.

This second option is essential for my application because Leeds university requires a big mark in my final exam and i am not 100% sure i will be able to provide.However Manchester requires lower passing mark than Leeds.And Portsmouth lower mark than Manchester.

My first choice will be Leeds university(5 years including master and 1 placement year)i suppose,however i have a big dilema choosing one of those universities as a second choice.
I am very interested on what will happen after i finish the university,i am talking about
employment here.I would really like to know if it's possible where do i have biggest chances do get employed after i finish the university.
I would really appreciate if you could give me some advice including some argumentation or examples if possible,or possible suggestions.Looking forward for mature replies.
Thank you in advance !
Looking forward hearing from you !
Original post by diabl0
Hello everybody,this is my first post on this forum so please be gentle with me.
I am having a difficult time on choosing a second option for my ucas application.
I am trying to decide which of those 2 universities should i choose for my petroleum engineering(undergraduate)degree
(Portsmouth University or Manchester University)Will be starting my undergraduate degree this autumn 2015.I wrote down on a paper the advantages and disadvantages.

Manchester University
-good passing mark
-is very well known in the top universities(like 30 i guess,as a good and tehnical university)

Portsmouth University

-has 3 years of study but no master included,however it has a placement after graduation.

My main problem is the employment and the employability after i finish the university.

This second option is essential for my application because Leeds university requires a big mark in my final exam and i am not 100% sure i will be able to provide.However Manchester requires lower passing mark than Leeds.And Portsmouth lower mark than Manchester.

My first choice will be Leeds university(5 years including master and 1 placement year)i suppose,however i have a big dilema choosing one of those universities as a second choice.
I am very interested on what will happen after i finish the university,i am talking about
employment here.I would really like to know if it's possible where do i have biggest chances do get employed after i finish the university.
I would really appreciate if you could give me some advice including some argumentation or examples if possible,or possible suggestions.Looking forward for mature replies.
Thank you in advance !

Manchester is head and shoulders better than Portsmouth! I know a ton of Manc grads at BP from when I did an internship there (did it in the second last year of secondary school BTW).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Princepieman
Manchester is head and shoulders better than Portsmouth! I know a ton of Manc grads at BP from when I did an internship there (did it in the second last year of secondary school BTW).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok,i agree but how did you got that internship despite they do not offer that placement?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by diabl0
Ok,i agree but how did you got that internship despite they do not offer that placement?

I knew some high up executives and they agreed to let me intern there.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
bump
Reply 5
bump
Easy choice - Manchester. MEng has more credibility (and makes it easier to eventually achieve CEng) than BEng/BSc. Portsmouth is not generally known for oil and gas subjects.
Reply 7
bump
Reply 8
Original post by diabl0
bump

You can stop now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by diabl0

Manchester University
-good passing mark

Portsmouth University

Thank you in advance !

I am having the same dilemma, but I have Manchester in first place and I'm deciding whether or not ai should have Leeds or Portsmouth in second. Leeds is obviously better, but if I don't get good enough grades for Manchester, I definitely wont get into Leeds either. So I am contemplaying putting Portsmouth in second place. Any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by petrogirl
I am having the same dilemma, but I have Manchester in first place and I'm deciding whether or not ai should have Leeds or Portsmouth in second. Leeds is obviously better, but if I don't get good enough grades for Manchester, I definitely wont get into Leeds either. So I am contemplaying putting Portsmouth in second place. Any advice?

There's your answer - if Leeds and Manchester have made you the same offer, and it's higher than Portsmouth, there's no point having Leeds as your insurance.
Original post by petrogirl

Posted from TSR Mobile

1 year placement in Portsmouth would seem very helpful for future employment, and experience and ongoing on-the-job training and performance may be more important than where you get your degree from. An opinion.
Reply 13
i did some research,a friend that graduated from manchester in pet eng told me that the course is not acredited and that there is no placement available there.
I found out that portsmouth has placement year with some small local companies in the UK ,and the only global one in the petroleum industry is General electric.
As i mentioned above my main interest is getting employed after i finish my university degree,i still can't decide what to choose as my secondary option,because leeds will probably be my main
Reply 14
Original post by diabl0
i did some research,a friend that graduated from manchester in pet eng told me that the course is not acredited and that there is no placement available there.

According to this it is accredited
http://www.seaes.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/undergraduate-courses/petroleumengineeringbeng/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply