The Student Room Group

Thinking of transferring Uni's to study Architecture

Currently i'm studying Economics and Social Policy at Birkbeck, UOL. Whilst I find a proportion of the course interesting and I done sound in my first few essays, I feel like 95% of the academic writing is mumbo jumbo and its not something I can motivate myself to do. It's like you have to decode sentence after sentence and it leaves me second doubting my understanding of most things.

Economics is a powerful tool and has good prospects after your degree but yeah. The post degree jobs seem so highly competitive and so money orientated i'm convinced i'm going to get washed away by other graduates. Most of the intense reading is from the social policy side of the course which I can avoid but still

The last few months haven't been great for me personally, i've wound up with two, two week late submissions and the way I approach my work+exams, I can't see myself finishing this degree with a 2:1 if I can't get myself to want to study. I winged A Levels and feel lucky to even be studying a degree. The 6pm lectures at Birkbeck has made a mess of my routine, I sleep in so late because i've nothing to do. I need something 'doable' to do in the day, and with the only option to study being reading academic textbooks that are so hard to decode into sense, its a struggle

I've got AS grades of E in physics, C in ICT, B in Maths and B or C in Geography because I resat them alongside my A2's this year. I messed up A2 (as a result:confused:), two u's and an e in maths, A* in ict and C in Geog.

I studied art, graphics, media and ICT at GCSE and done really well, art is something I enjoyed and took pride in...

My idea of architecture is very vague so any attempt of a personal statement would be a waste of time right now. It seems like something you would enjoy doing, almost as an hobby or personal interest which is something I need in my life to motivate me to do well in studies. I've no idea what job opportunities are like either. Your thoughts on this would be great.

In terms of actually applying, its an idea that keeps coming back. I'm not sure what I could do with my grades and no art and design A level. I really want to stay in London, so that means UCL, London Met or Westminster. If I were to go home now, I could focus and resit maths a2 and get A* in ICT, b or at least c overall in Maths and c in geog alongside putting together a portfolio and working off some nasty debt i've incurred...
Or I can stay and try my best to grind out a 2:1 and start next year with a fresh approach

UCL would be amazing but must certainly be a right off for me I guess, considering how late i've left it and my current grades with no a2 art? Thoughts on london met/westminster?

I really don't know, I don't know if I'm just being rash and unreasonable with my current course but I know that studying art onto architecture would of been a much more natural thing to do for me...
(edited 9 years ago)
If you're struggling with 6PM lectures and not being able to self-motivate to get up, then architecture is almost certainly not for you. Huge amount of work to do hours wise, on your own largely, lots of deadlines to meet.

Job opportunities - well there are lots of positions currently, but this can change very quickly - the market is very geared in to the economy. Pay is dire for the amount of time and effort that goes into qualifying as an architect.
Reply 2
Original post by jrhartley
If you're struggling with 6PM lectures and not being able to self-motivate to get up, then architecture is almost certainly not for you. Huge amount of work to do hours wise, on your own largely, lots of deadlines to meet.

Job opportunities - well there are lots of positions currently, but this can change very quickly - the market is very geared in to the economy. Pay is dire for the amount of time and effort that goes into qualifying as an architect.

I understand that and its the same with all degrees I guess. I'd just like to switch to morning lectures.
Original post by errrrok
I understand that and its the same with all degrees I guess. I'd just like to switch to morning lectures.

No architecture is not the same as other degrees You put in loads of hours trying to get projects done. You work into the wee hours of the morning to get the work done. You need to talk to architecture students to understand the workload - its huge.

Also theres's not a lot of art involved its all design and written work mostly design I think. Have you thought of perhaps doing art a level first and maybe finding out a little bit more about architecture?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Paladian
No architecture is not the same as other degrees You put in loads of hours trying to get projects done. You work into the wee hours of the morning to get the work done. You need to talk to architecture students to understand the workload - its huge.

Have you thought of perhaps doing art a level first and maybe finding out a little bit more about architecture?

Can you recommend any links for me to look at?

My head is all over the shop at the minute so forgive me for not thinking this out as much as I should of
Original post by errrrok
Can you recommend any links for me to look at?

My head is all over the shop at the minute so forgive me for not thinking this out as much as I should of

There's the RIBA website and take a look at different university websites.

Best to think it over first you don't want to waste university funding on something you haven't thought over properly IMO.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending