A level philosophy and ethics, opinions? Watch

1209ll
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey guys,
Can anyone tell me what it's like? What do you learn? Is it interesting? Do you enjoy it? Is it difficult?
Thanks,
1209ll
1209ll
Rep:
?
bump
1209ll
Rep:
?
bumppppppppppppppppppppppppp
1209ll
Rep:
?
anyone????
A.naomi98
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi, I do AS philosophy and ethics and have found it a lot different to GCSE. It's definatly something you have to be 100% sure you want to do as initially it is quite difficult. The essay styles are very different but some of the content is similar just studied more indepth. I personally enjoy the Ethics more then the Philosophy, just because I find it easier.

Hope this makes sense
1209ll
Rep:
?
(Original post by A.naomi98)
Hi, I do AS philosophy and ethics and have found it a lot different to GCSE. It's definatly something you have to be 100% sure you want to do as initially it is quite difficult. The essay styles are very different but some of the content is similar just studied more indepth. I personally enjoy the Ethics more then the Philosophy, just because I find it easier.

Hope this makes sense
Sorry to ask but what kind of things do you learn?
1209ll
Rep:
?
Anyone else? Really sorry but this would be so useful!
Theawesomejem
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi, I'm in year 11 and I'm doing the AS ethics course currently. I can honestly say I do enjoy it and I find it super interesting. Just be prepared for a lot of fact based learning(keywords) and applying certain views to situations seeing and what other people would do in that situation depending on their beliefs. For example, utilitarianism is the belief to do what brings about the most overall happiness. This sounds like a brilliant idea as you're doing what will make the most people happy but if you apply it to say an extreme such as gang rape, a utilitarianism would believe that's morally right and ok in a way because it's 4 people's happiness for 1 persons pain. Deontological theories focus on the actions rather than consequences. Most theories are created from deontological or teleological based thinking, teleological is thinking about the consequences rather than actions for deciding if something is morally right. For example the action of killing someone is wrong so even if the person is a mass murderer and it's the only way to stop them killing you should not do it if you're thinking deontological because it would be morally wrong. there's loads of theories some of my favourites are natural law, utilitarianism, situation ethics,kantian ethics and virtue ethics but there's loads! I just find them quite interesting

Posted from TSR Mobile
Theawesomejem
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you love debate and enjoy discussing topics you'll really like it. I love it honestly but I'm so argumentative I find it fun especially playing devils advocate and agreeing with certain views even though really you agree with the other person. Also you can basically say anything as long as you have "evidence" it's right. It is a lot of writing so if you're not into essays I don't recommend it in an exam you have to do a few.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Theawesomejem
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3129599 I thought this thread would be useful it's discussions relating to philosophy and ethics at AS/A2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Logolept
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Don't ****ing bother mate
Asolare
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I studied AS Philosophy (harder than P&E) so I can only really speak about that experience.

Essays are demanding and you can lose marks very quickly if you don't explain absolutely everything. There can be a lot of content to remember, but as long as you know basic arguments and 'key words' you should be fine in that retrospect.

I learnt umm, half of the year about the concept of God and the other half about knowledge. I didn't go onto A2 cause I wasn't certain, but I got a C overall which is okay I guess.

P&E is probably more interesting 'cause you go into 'moral philosophy' (I believe?) which is cool, but just Philosophy is valued more and considered harder by unis... supposedly.
1209ll
Rep:
?
(Original post by Inexorably)

(Original post by Theawesomejem)
(Original post by A.naomi98)
Thanks a lot guys that really helped! Last thing, as an atheist, would I enjoy it? I do "Christian Theology" (it's compulsory) GCSE here at my school, and it's basically just religious brainwashing. For example in the ethics part, they talk about the Church teaching, give a very strong argument in favour of it, and then give a very weak argument for the other side. Is it like that at all?
Theawesomejem
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by 1209ll)
Thanks a lot guys that really helped! Last thing, as an atheist, would I enjoy it? I do "Christian Theology" (it's compulsory) GCSE here at my school, and it's basically just religious brainwashing. For example in the ethics part, they talk about the Church teaching, give a very strong argument in favour of it, and then give a very weak argument for the other side. Is it like that at all?
No definitely not. My teacher allows me to develop my own arguments and opinions and we rarely copy from the textbook. Most of our lessons are debates on controversial topics. You get given a ethical view e.g. Kantian ethics and you have to put yourself in the position of someone who follows kant for example regarding euthanasia. But this might be because my class is not sitting the AS ethics exam just learning the course. We did RE a year early and they didn't want us to spend hours a week doing nothing.
1209ll
Rep:
?
(Original post by Theawesomejem)
No definitely not. My teacher allows me to develop my own arguments and opinions and we rarely copy from the textbook. Most of our lessons are debates on controversial topics. You get given a ethical view e.g. Kantian ethics and you have to put yourself in the position of someone who follows kant for example regarding euthanasia. But this might be because my class is not sitting the AS ethics exam just learning the course. We did RE a year early and they didn't want us to spend hours a week doing nothing.
Thanks man , I think I'm going to go ahead and choose it haha
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
18.82%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
10.06%
No I am happy with my course choice (397)
57.04%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (98)
14.08%

Watched Threads