The Student Room Group

Year 9 options

Hi

I'm choosing my year 9 options at the moment. Compulsory subjects for me are :
maths
english(2)
Religious education
triple science

I have 4 other option choices and I have free choice out of everything, so I don't have to do any languages or humanities if I don't want to, and there no blocks I have to pick from either.

here are my choices I think I'm going to do :

Graphics
Geography
History
French

Reserve option : German.

Do you think these choices are ok? And also I have to put them in order of preference and I'm really stuck on the order. And also I don't want to have to do 2 languages and that will happen if I'm not able to do a subject and they put German in and then I'll have German and French, and I only want to do one. What should I do? And I don't like any other subjects available so I can't put another subject as a reserve.
Reply 1
They seem pretty good to me.

Chances are you won't have to have your reserve option anyway - or at least very few (1 or 2) people in my year had to. So I wouldn't worry about that...

Although I only do one language, Spanish, French and German could be an okay combination. I hear German is the easiest language GCSE, so the real challenge (French) will still be there.
They look good. :smile:
In terms of the whole two languages thing, I do two and find it fine (French and German, as you would be doing). If you don't want to, however, and that's what your given, it could be possible to change these with whoever organises the options at your school - unless they've said otherwise. There were so many people changing their options when I was in year 9, and I've heard of a few people dropping out of an option early year 10. This depends on how your school works, though.

Also, I'd like to disagree with the person above and say that I find German quite a bit harder than French (both on Edexcel), but don't let that put you off doing it. I guess that changes from school to school too. I must like it though, because I'm taking it for A-Level. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest