The Student Room Group

Hospital Pharmacy Pre reg applicants - Pharmalife 2016 entry!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by deltaforce456
Have you not got any work experience that has been organised by your university? That was enough for me!
Don't worry too much if you haven't organised you're own. I know people that did placements, promised a place and still didn't get one. It's luck and how good you write your application and do in the interview sometimes.

Remember hospital work experience is desirable. Write well and show passion for it in the interview. Meet their required skill set and you won't have any problems.

Thank you for the advice! :smile:
This is such a stressful process :/ Especially when it comes to clinical questions for interviews... I will probably mess those up haha
Will have to wait and see what happens!
Original post by sachinisgod
Has anyone attempted the questions in the applications? The professional judgement one is putting me off so much lol :tongue:

I've done the interests one and the organisational skills one. But I'm so stuck on the professional judgement one! I feel like so many people will just make stories up for it because whoever I've asked they can't really think of a time when they demonstrated professional judgement... :/
Original post by sirbiczek
I've done the interests one and the organisational skills one. But I'm so stuck on the professional judgement one! I feel like so many people will just make stories up for it because whoever I've asked they can't really think of a time when they demonstrated professional judgement... :/

Exactly, coz we arent pharmacists yet so we dont have the authority to make decisions that require professional judgement for patient care!

Also could you put your hospital choices down like I i have in OP so we can track people's decisions :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Exactly, coz we arent pharmacists yet so we dont have the authority to make decisions that require professional judgement for patient care!

Also could you put your hospital choices down like I i have in OP so we can track people's decisions :smile:

I'd like that question a lot more if it didn't say 'Specific to pharmacy practice'
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
I'd like that question a lot more if it didn't say 'Specific to pharmacy practice'

Very true, most of the times we have to observe in our work experience and placements, so asking us when we have used professional judgement in pharmacy practice is going to be very very limited.
Very true, most of the times we have to observe in our work experience and placements, so asking us when we have used professional judgement in pharmacy practice is going to be very very limited.

I'll think of something, but it would be easier to think of one for one of my other jobs. Also 'time you demostrated the behaviour expected of a pharmacy professional'.
I'll think of something, but it would be easier to think of one for one of my other jobs. Also 'time you demostrated the behaviour expected of a pharmacy professional'.

Im sure you will think of something.

Also could you put down your potential hospital choices so we can track people's progress like the previous years' threads :smile:
Is anyone hoping to apply to Newcastle hospitals? Also which ones are people applying to in London?

Posted from TSR Mobile
If some of your hospitals are in the same region ( with 1 interview for all), is it a good idea to write separate profiles for each hospital in the area or 1 profile for all the hospitals?
Hello guys,
Have you got any idea if swansea or sunderland univeristies are competative or not?
Hiii,
Um going to apply for sunderland ,however um not sure whether it is very competitave. I wish I could apply for london hospitals,bit I think they need an awful lot of experience:frown:
Original post by sherryberry
Hello guys,
Have you got any idea if swansea or sunderland univeristies are competative or not?

Hi there! It all depends how many pre regs they take on.

The number is an indication of it's competitiveness. I think Kings and Imperial take on like 20 each so the applicant numbers to them would be very very high.

compare Swansea and Sunderland who take on 7 each with somewhere like County Durham who only take 3 so you can do the math that way
Reply 52

The number is an indication of it's competitiveness. I think Kings and Imperial take on like 20 each so the applicant numbers to them would be very very high.

compare Swansea and Sunderland who take on 7 each with somewhere like County Durham who only take 3 so you can do the math that way

I think it's pretty much the same level of competitiveness as there are more applicants at hospitals with more places and less applicants at hospitals with smaller spaces. Approximately 5 people to 1 place (at interview stage)
Oh really! I thought the higher the number of candidates required,the higher the chance to be accepted..not the other way around. But u've said be4 that small towns on the coastal line are not competitive, and portsmouth is very small and on the coast.However,they need 6 for their pre reg year. Um a bit confused 😩
Reply 54
Original post by sherryberry
Oh really! I thought the higher the number of candidates required,the higher the chance to be accepted..not the other way around. But u've said be4 that small towns on the coastal line are not competitive, and portsmouth is very small and on the coast.However,they need 6 for their pre reg year. Um a bit confused 😩

Well I've been to a few open days now and that's what I got from the tutors and present pre regs.
Original post by BKOK
Well I've been to a few open days now and that's what I got from the tutors and present pre regs.

Oh yeah..that's helpful anyway..thnx
Original post by sirbiczek

good luck b4 I forget
Me too. I'm on placement at the moment, couldn't get farther from my hometown if I tried. It's 13 hours by train :lol:

I'm worried because I can't make it to any open days, so I'm worrying that the hospitals are going to think it's because I'm not interested, but because of placements and work I'm just physically not able to get to the open days for the places I was interested in. Going to attempt, somehow, at some point, to phone them during my lunch breaks to talk about the pre-reg year. Going to be a bit of a leap of faith on a couple of the hospitals though because I won't be able to see them. My other issue is that I'm doing my 4th year project abroad, and their term dates start earlier so I have to be over there for orientation in August, hoping a couple of places will let me have Skype interviews or something but some of them are on panels so the entire thing is making me worry just a wee bit. Although I've managed to cut down the number of hospitals I want to apply to after having seen a couple of them.
Yeah same issue as Im across the pond. Il have to go for walkies next time im in london so. yeh skype interviews would ve a MAJOR help for me. mind letting me know how that goes? youre doing your final project abroad? how?
Original post by trustmeimlying1
Yeah same issue as Im across the pond. Il have to go for walkies next time im in london so. yeh skype interviews would ve a MAJOR help for me. mind letting me know how that goes? youre doing your final project abroad? how?

The places I've spoken to so far don't really do Skype interviews, but some will let you move the interviews and things to an earlier date or whatever, but that's the best you get really.

I am, they sorted it a few years back that some students could go and do an exchange trip for their masters project and you only get that chance once so I applied for it.
The places I've spoken to so far don't really do Skype interviews, but some will let you move the interviews and things to an earlier date or whatever, but that's the best you get really.

I am, they sorted it a few years back that some students could go and do an exchange trip for their masters project and you only get that chance once so I applied for it.

feck some opportunity I would've too! wherebouts yeh headed? also above thats a real pity for me and any international student. feck sake like haha. ah well liverpool or london it is then. Dont even think they fly to other cities in england from the local airport.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending