jack566719
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I need to pick my GCSEs in two weeks and I thought I wanted to do ict, but after receiving the information packs and looking at websites about what people think of ict I am now thinking about doing computing. Lots of websites say that Ict is boring and you don't learn much where as in computing your learn lots. I like to learn about the software and making things on computers but I don't like learning about how computers are actualy made and the different parts in them like the motherboard and ram. So I want to know what you actually do in computing and what you do in ict and which one is more useful later on in life when looking for a job, or even opening my own business of website designing and making things, I am also picking graphics?
Rockyboy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well, in my school they didn't have computing so i will tell you what i did in IT. My school did OCR, this may differ depending on your exam board. If you are doing OCR then 60% coursework, 2 coursework and 30% each. The final 40% is the theory, this is quite is easy as you learn about Hardware, Software, networks, mallware, viruses, Hackers. You do 2 written exam 1 is theory and another is a context based where they give you a scenario 3 months before exam and you will get questions on the scenario. The scenario is quite detailed. But i find it easy. In the coursework, the ones i did is to create spreadsheet system for owner of dog kennel. Another one i did was create a website for a themepark, we did this using dreamweaver and created actual websites.

On the other hand i'm not entirely sure but i guess computing is about programming and coding and learning theory

Damn........ *i should get rep for this*
jamestg
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do Computing.

It provides a new challenge and is relevant to the future of jobs in the UK. Personally, I think Computing GCSEs in the next couple of years will be valued as highly as Eng/Maths/Sci.
Thanushan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am doing both as school at the moment. I enjoy doing both however don't fall into the trap of thinking that they are similar or same subjects. They are two different subjects, ICT is more relaxed and easy in my opinion. Computing is going to make you do a lot of work and put you through challenges unless you have experience in Computing. If you are a person who want to do program (powerpoint, word, spreadsheet) work then ICT is your thing. If you want to learn how a computer is operated from the inside and want to learn the basic of codes then Computing is your thing. There is a lot of theory in both subjects. It is up to you what you want to choose, don't let anyone else choose what you want to do. Both subjects can get you jobs and far in life.
callum623
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'd go with computing. You learn a lot more than you do in ict and it is more fun. The exam is quite hard but you can make up for lost marks with the coursework. For the coursework I made an app for a mobile phone in year 10 and have now made a binary and decimal converter and binary calculator in python and am currently making a vending machine in scratch. It might sound hard but once you figure out the coding it's easy. Go for computing, you won't regret it.
emzn
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Computing, the coursework is simple ish and the projects are usually linked to each one. At my school, hardly anyone takes it so its a really informal class. Also it looks better than it on college applications
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (563)
34.16%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (678)
41.14%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (332)
20.15%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (75)
4.55%

Watched Threads