username1373055
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So im in y12 and ive about 4 months...ish to figure out what i want to do in uni or along that kind of way. But im gradually starting to realize my love for acting is growing quickly (im very confused about my feelings on choosing subjects for uni) , as it receded when AS lvl stress started to hit.

At GCSE i did Btec extended lvl 2 performing arts and managed to get a Distinction in it which was nice. But i decided to not do it in college as i wanted to be safe from my changing mind. I do History , law , Soc and English (both).

Basically , should i in y13 audition/apply for a range of Drama schools (since that's what root im wavering with) and see whether or not i get an offer? And if not take a gap year and prepare/ apply next time? Or should i apply for a Uni acting course and if needed be do an MA afterwards... (this might be better in my case)

I'd appreciate any advice to prepare for this process i guess, since i have 4 essay subjects i have little time ontop of everything to do any extracurricular stuff. However i did do 6-10 performances publicly while doing Drama in GCSE. Thanks very much.
NotJustAName
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's really hard to get in to drama school at 18. Generally drama schools look for people with lots of life experience. They say it's harder to get in to drama school than it is to get in to Oxbridge. A lot of people actually go to drama school after they do their university degree. If you go to university, you'll have something to fall back on as well. You can apply for some drama schools, such as Rose Bruford, through UCAS. You can't apply for drama schools such as RADA or LAMDA through UCAS; it's my belief that you have to apply independently and pay a fee to audition. My advice would be to apply for drama schools and university. It's good to follow your dreams. If I were you, I would apply to do a combined English and Drama course. Also do some research in to universities with strong drama societies. Best of luck!
username1373055
Rep:
?
Ok thank you i will look into what you have said , quick q , since my main focus is to do acting / be an actor (im guessing) , still doing a combined English and Drama course would still allow me to go down this path , maybe onto an MA?
NotJustAName
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes, I know someone who had an English degree and she went on and did a MA at drama school. It doesn't matter what your degree is in.
Starkidemmax
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi, I'm actually in a similar situation except I'm looking into MT rather than drama. My issue is that I don't feel that I have enough dance experience to get onto a 3 year conservatoire course so atm I'm thinking that I'll apply for 1 year foundation courses at various conservatoires and also some university MT courses (probably a mixture of foundation and BA).

Some conservatoires you apply to through CUKAS (it's basically the same as UCAS) and others you have to apply to independently, like Mountview for example.

I'd recommend looking at some of the summer schools available at the drama schools that you're interested in bc that will give you a taste of whether this is the right thing for you.

The conservatoires do look for experience and it is very rare for someone to get in at such a young age (I think even more so for acting than MT) so if you do apply and don't get in don't be discouraged. I know someone who is amazing at drama and he applied for RADA when he was in year 13 but didn't get in, he applied again every year and 5 years later he was finally accepted (he started in September) so unless you have a burning desire to attend a drama school I would recommend going to uni for a BA and then doing your MA at a conservatoire xoxo

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1373055
Rep:
?
(Original post by Starkidemmax)
Hi, I'm actually in a similar situation except I'm looking into MT rather than drama. My issue is that I don't feel that I have enough dance experience to get onto a 3 year conservatoire course so atm I'm thinking that I'll apply for 1 year foundation courses at various conservatoires and also some university MT courses (probably a mixture of foundation and BA).

Some conservatoires you apply to through CUKAS (it's basically the same as UCAS) and others you have to apply to independently, like Mountview for example.

I'd recommend looking at some of the summer schools available at the drama schools that you're interested in bc that will give you a taste of whether this is the right thing for you.

The conservatoires do look for experience and it is very rare for someone to get in at such a young age (I think even more so for acting than MT) so if you do apply and don't get in don't be discouraged. I know someone who is amazing at drama and he applied for RADA when he was in year 13 but didn't get in, he applied again every year and 5 years later he was finally accepted (he started in September) so unless you have a burning desire to attend a drama school I would recommend going to uni for a BA and then doing your MA at a conservatoire xoxo

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you for the advice , and i wish you the best of luck in the future . However iv'e completely changed my sense of direction now , i usually read things wrong and this feeling was one of them . Im now looking into Game Design but hope you do well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (196)
55.37%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (49)
13.84%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (40)
11.3%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (33)
9.32%
I haven't started researching yet (21)
5.93%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
4.24%

Watched Threads