Is there anything you believe in theory but not in practice? Watch

flibber
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Here's one to start you off.

Although I am opposed to the death penalty, in theory, I believe the use of drone strikes to kill Islamic terrorists is not a form of extrajudicial execution (as some may believe) but a legitimate instrument of the state to protect its people. This is because if the terrorists are the ones who have declared jihad on the West, they are by their own definition combatants, and if there is information that they are planning an imminent attack on civilians, then in theory it's the best thing to launch a drone strike in their headquarters. I know that many would say that these terrorists would just be replaced by another bunch of terrorists, but it's usually the most cunning who are at the top anyway, so I believe a 'degrade and destroy' approach would work by draining the terrorist organization of brainpower. Note that the jihadists' ideology does not tolerate peace. It's similar to what you would do if you had a man with a knife attacking you and there isn't enough time to persuade him, and you happen to have a weapon that'd kill him.

However, given that drone/missile strikes, despite being euphemistically called 'surgically precise', often kill many civilians (which ironically defeats my reason for supporting them in theory) who have been unfortunately caught up in the fighting or simply due to poor information (such as the 1998 bombing of a Sudanese pharmaceutical factory), I cannot support their use in practice. It's just like how I do not support the death penalty in case an innocent person is executed.
flibber
Rep:
?
Bump.
scriberg
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
asking out the fit girl in your school
German123
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I can't think of anything tbh.
Floydacious
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Mobile phones/4G networks and the part of the electromagnetic spectrum that they operate in.
The Wavefunction
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Chemistry experiments
aoxa
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Floydacious)
Mobile phones/4G networks and the part of the electromagnetic spectrum that they operate in.
I have to agree. My phone tends to be slower on 4G :lol:

Also Physics. There is 'Physics world' and 'Real world'.
Floydacious
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by aoxa)
I have to agree. My phone tends to be slower on 4G :lol:

Also Physics. There is 'Physics world' and 'Real world'.
My reasonings are completely different, hence I mentioned the frequencies that the new networks and mobile broadband services operate in
felamaslen
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Re the drone strikes:

The jihad is at war with the West. Droning jihadists is no different to killing enemies in any other war. I don't understand what people's hang up is.
aoxa
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by felamaslen)
Re the drone strikes:

The jihad is at war with the West. Droning jihadists is no different to killing enemies in any other war. I don't understand what people's hang up is.
I think it's more about the fact that drones aren't specific - they kill civilians too. I realise that there will be civilian deaths in any war, but I think it is the magnitude of how many civilians are killed in the process of trying to kill one targeted jihad.
felamaslen
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by aoxa)
I think it's more about the fact that drones aren't specific - they kill civilians too. I realise that there will be civilian deaths in any war, but I think it is the magnitude of how many civilians are killed in the process of trying to kill one targeted jihad.
Has anyone actually proven that the ratio is higher with drones than without?
IWantToBeThere
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you believe in it in theory but not in practice, you probably are not being honest with yourself.
aoxa
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This article shows how many high-target jihads have been targeted, and how many civilians have been killed in the process of attempting to kill these jihads.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2014/nov/24/-sp-us-drone-strikes-kill-1147
joey11223
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Tbh people seem to treat drones like...a weird special case. Almost like its the drones fault or something. These aren't AI people, it's just a plane...but the pilot is sitting in safety not in the cockpit. If we didn't have drones these would just be jets with air to ground missiles...and we'd be using them.
felamaslen
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by aoxa)
This article shows how many high-target jihads have been targeted, and how many civilians have been killed in the process of attempting to kill these jihads.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2014/nov/24/-sp-us-drone-strikes-kill-1147
Doesn't answer my question.
felamaslen
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by joey11223)
Tbh people seem to treat drones like...a weird special case. Almost like its the drones fault or something. These aren't AI people, it's just a plane...but the pilot is sitting in safety not in the cockpit. If we didn't have drones these would just be jets with air to ground missiles...and we'd be using them.
Exactly.

Drones are brilliant. Why put Western soldiers in harm's way when we can eliminate jihadists using machines?
aoxa
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Doesn't answer my question.
Well that's the closest you're going to get. Considering using drones in war is a recent progression in war, you're not going to be able compare not using drones and sending in troops, and the deaths incurred by the use of each.
felamaslen
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by aoxa)
Well that's the closest you're going to get. Considering using drones in war is a recent progression in war, you're not going to be able compare not using drones and sending in troops, and the deaths incurred by the use of each.
Anyway, the responsibility for civilian deaths from drone strikes, to the extent that they occur, lies mainly with the jihadists for hiding among civilians (and of course the "civilians" who protect them, who may as well be combatants).
felamaslen
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by flibber)
So it's legitimate to bomb a target when you know there are civilians if they are being used as human shields?
Of course not. That isn't what I said.
flibber
Rep:
?
Of course not. That isn't what I said.
Sorry, I realised what I wrote didn't make sense so I deleted it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (67)
15.8%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (43)
10.14%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (80)
18.87%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (61)
14.39%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (46)
10.85%
How can I be the best version of myself? (127)
29.95%

Watched Threads