markus674
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey all,

Really need some help here. I'm studying biology A-level through a distance learning company (Oxford College Distance Learning) and I'm now at the point where I need to complete my coursework, which has to be based on a practical experiment. Since I'm working from home and have no access to laboratory equipment I have NO idea what to do. Is anyone currently in this situation, or has been in this situation? What did you come up with for your experiment? I really need some inspiration as currently I'm feeling kinda screwed!

Thanks in advance.

Mark
Smudge1233
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi mark, hows the coursework going ? I can give you a few ideas if you need any!
I did a biology course through oxford college last year and can give you a few ideas what to do your coursework on. I got a B in my coursework
markus674
Rep:
?
(Original post by Smudge1233)
Hi mark, hows the coursework going ? I can give you a few ideas if you need any!
I did a biology course through oxford college last year and can give you a few ideas what to do your coursework on. I got a B in my coursework
Hi there,

Thanks for the reply. The coursework is not really going anywhere yet unfortunately! Currently focusing on history coursework and French stuff, so yeah any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm obviously quite limited since I have no access to laboratory equipment. Thanks in advance.

Mark
Smudge1233
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well what i did was 'rate of ventilation and smoking'. So i basically had 5 people that smoked, and 5 that didn't (i actually couldn't find 5 smokers, just three, lol so i had to kind of make up the results there..) and measured the differences in the rate of ventilation.

Similarly you could do something like blood pressure and exercise, whereby you get 5 participants to engage in relatively vigorous periods of exercise over say one week and see if their blood pressure decreases after 7 days. I know someone that did that and got an A. Then you can write about why their blood pressure fell after doing exercise (theres loads of information about as to why blood pressure falls when individuals engage in physical activity).
You could measure their blood pressure both before they begun exercising, and after 7 days, there should be a decrease in their over all blood pressure.

Hope that helps
markus674
Rep:
?
(Original post by Smudge1233)
Well what i did was 'rate of ventilation and smoking'. So i basically had 5 people that smoked, and 5 that didn't (i actually couldn't find 5 smokers, just three, lol so i had to kind of make up the results there..) and measured the differences in the rate of ventilation.

Similarly you could do something like blood pressure and exercise, whereby you get 5 participants to engage in relatively vigorous periods of exercise over say one week and see if their blood pressure decreases after 7 days. I know someone that did that and got an A. Then you can write about why their blood pressure fell after doing exercise (theres loads of information about as to why blood pressure falls when individuals engage in physical activity).
You could measure their blood pressure both before they begun exercising, and after 7 days, there should be a decrease in their over all blood pressure.

Hope that helps
Thanks so much for the advice, sorry for the slow response back! Just wanted to double check, was that for AS coursework or A2? I probably should've specified in my original post that it is A2 coursework I'm working on.
Smudge1233
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi, this was for A2! It does not have to be an actually assignment conducted in a lab, but an investigation. How far are you getting a long?
beanana
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi, since you do not have access to a lot of materials I suggest doing something about physiology/psychology. Maybe study the effects of caffeine on the heart rate (pulse rate) or memory? Let me know how you get along.
markus674
Rep:
?
Thanks for the replies. Funnily enough I was thinking that the effect of caffeine on short term memory and reaction times would be a good one. I can do the experiment on people at work, it's pretty easy to do and will provide plenty of data. Also it applies to the nervous system, muscles etc. That's probably what I'll go with, so I better get on with it!
beanana
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I suppose they can't say no to a free cuppa. It'll be interesting for sure, I did mine on algal photosynthesis and it bored the ass off me. Good luck!
markus674
Rep:
?
Ah but I'm thinking of dosing them up pretty heavily. Off to Boots to buy a basket full of Pro Plus!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (153)
38.25%
Take autumn exams (123)
30.75%
Look for a job (14)
3.5%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.25%
Take a year out (68)
17%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (25)
6.25%

Watched Threads