The Student Room Group

First year results affect my placement options??

Im a first year student doing accounting and finance with a year in industry. I just received my first semester results and they are okay ranging from 73%-52%. I was aware that first year results will be important when I apply to placements in second year but somehow I managed to procrastinate a lot and didn't do much work as required. Now Im scared that I won't get the placement I want in one of the big 4 firms. I still have my 2nd semester to go but its definitely harder than 1st semester. Any advice on what I can do?
Thanks
Reply 1
What was your term average? If you have a 2.1, you should be okay. Obviously you should put more effort in this term and hope it averages out at 60%+
Reply 2
Original post by Kre
What was your term average? If you have a 2.1, you should be okay. Obviously you should put more effort in this term and hope it averages out at 60%+

My term average is 61%.
At my uni the majority of students who gained placements were getting 1sts, a few 2.1's but no 2.2's or lower that I'm aware of.

So with a 2.1 you should be fine (: but remember competition for placements is very fierce, I applied for 5 and only got one interview, luckily I got that one!

Also those of us that did a placement also seemed a lot more focused in our final year, causation or correlation, I'm not sure, but I'd definitely recommend doing one, it's opened so many doors for me! And the money is nice too :biggrin:

Best of luck!
Reply 4
Original post by Jordanjames1
At my uni the majority of students who gained placements were getting 1sts, a few 2.1's but no 2.2's or lower that I'm aware of.

So with a 2.1 you should be fine (: but remember competition for placements is very fierce, I applied for 5 and only got one interview, luckily I got that one!

Also those of us that did a placement also seemed a lot more focused in our final year, causation or correlation, I'm not sure, but I'd definitely recommend doing one, it's opened so many doors for me! And the money is nice too :biggrin:

Best of luck!

Thank you very much for your advice! I am definitely doing a placement year so I got worried when my results weren't as good. Hopefully I won't be repeating the same mistake again :redface:

Good luck to you too!
Reply 5
Original post by kuttyz10
My term average is 61%.

Big 4 doesn't really care about your degree, so long as you hit the 2.1 boundary. That's assuming you're looking at audit or tax, I think consulting is more picky.

Quick Reply