how to improve in essay style subjects

Watch
mclacy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
hi,
my strong subjects are maths and physics and I'm good and calculations and straight answers. however I really struggle in subjects like RS and English where there is no correct or wrong answer. how can I improve that?
chemistry100
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Use a pneumonic such as PEE (Point, Evidence, Explain) or PQA (Point, Quote, Analyse) - especially in English.

Make sure you answer and refer directly back to the question regularly throughout your answer and describe/compare/state/explain as is shown in the question. Put together a really strong argument - use your own knowledge sporadically but make sure you use as much as you feel is appropriate.

I take 3 humanities (Economics, Geography and History) as well as German and English Lang/Lit for GCSE - essay writing definitely isn't my strongest point - I'm much better at maths and sciences - just as you stated you were!
eskimo_rising
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Back up with evidence from a good source, you can say almost anything you want, you can say the moon is made of cheese as long as you have solid sources.

Don't pontificate, stick to the essay brief and plan, keep referring back to it so you have a structured, easy flowing essay not some mess. It's easier for me to write something in more words then it is to write in less. Precision in essay writing is an acquired skill.

To start with write detailed essays plans, an essay with a good plan will practically write itself, it stops you going off topic and it takes less time to write!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (52)
60.47%
No (34)
39.53%

Watched Threads