redox titration question help!! Watch

ItsChrisG
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
A 25.0cm3 aliquot of a solution containing Fe2+ ions and Fe3+ ions was acidified and titrated against potassium manganate(VII) solution. 15.0cm3 of 0.020M potassium manganate(VII) was needed. A second 25.0cm3 aliquot was reduced using zinc (i.e. the Fe3+ ions in the solution were reduced to Fe2+ ions), then titrated. This time, 19.0cm3 of the 0.020M potassium manganate(VII) was needed. Calculate the concentrations of:

a) Fe2+ ions in the solution b) Fe3+ ions in the solution

i am very confused someone help!
TSR Jessica
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses.

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :yy:

Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
x
charco
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ItsChrisG)
A 25.0cm3 aliquot of a solution containing Fe2+ ions and Fe3+ ions was acidified and titrated against potassium manganate(VII) solution. 15.0cm3 of 0.020M potassium manganate(VII) was needed. A second 25.0cm3 aliquot was reduced using zinc (i.e. the Fe3+ ions in the solution were reduced to Fe2+ ions), then titrated. This time, 19.0cm3 of the 0.020M potassium manganate(VII) was needed. Calculate the concentrations of:

a) Fe2+ ions in the solution b) Fe3+ ions in the solution

i am very confused someone help!
The first titration finds only the moles of the iron(II) ions.
The second titration finds the moles of both the iron(II) and the iron(III) ions (as all the iron(III) is previously reduced to iron(II)).

How do you think you find the moles of iron(III)?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (50)
9.52%
I used to but I don't now (14)
2.67%
No, but I want to start (189)
36%
No, I am unable to (122)
23.24%
No, I chose not to (150)
28.57%