The Student Room Group

NCS Summer Work

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hey everyone
I have my assessment centre tomorrow to be a Senior Mentor and I'd completely forgotten so I'm not very prepared.
I have a few ideas for ice breakers - does anyone know if your group actually do the ice breaker? Or do you just explain it? I was wondering if it would be a good or bad idea to bring things along to incorporate into your ice breaker. For example I was thinking of doing one that involves spaghetti and marshmallows - you have to create the biggest tower possible. Do I need to fetch the spaghetti and marshmallows along with me?
Also, I don't completely understand the facilitated review part. I would want to ask the group what went well and what didn't, but if they don't know the scenario very well how are they going to answer properly? Otherwise it will just be me talking which isn't very engaging! Plus, how are you expected to deal with challenging behaviour? Do they want you to address it in front of the group, or take the person to one side or...?
Help please!
Hi! I just saw your post and I was just wondering how your assessment day went? I have mine for the senior mentor role in a couple of days so would be so great to have a few tips!
I've applied this year for the Media (film) Practitioner role and have to prepare a 5min workshop. I'm not able to attend the practitioner assessment so they have put me into an assessment day with the mentors so I'm unable to view the brief for the Media Practitioner assessment. Does anyone have any ideas or information about the workshop?
Reply 43
Original post by Sakinsola
I've applied this year for the Media (film) Practitioner role and have to prepare a 5min workshop. I'm not able to attend the practitioner assessment so they have put me into an assessment day with the mentors so I'm unable to view the brief for the Media Practitioner assessment. Does anyone have any ideas or information about the workshop?

At my practitioner assessment the people doing film each had a little presentation, the best one had a little activity for us to get up tp do about the 180 degree rule which was cool. Really doesn't have to be anything impressive it's just showing you're capable of delivering :smile:
Hi

I’ve applied for the role of a ‘group leader’ with NCS this summer and have an assessment day coming up soon, just wondering if anyone has attended this before and has any tips?

Thank you in advance :-)
Original post by SairaHassan
Hi

I’ve applied for the role of a ‘group leader’ with NCS this summer and have an assessment day coming up soon, just wondering if anyone has attended this before and has any tips?

Thank you in advance :-)

Hey, group leader isn't the name of a role with my provider (The Challenge) - if you share what provider you're applying for, someone may be able to help. However the advice posted previously on this thread should still be useful if the role involves being a leader of one team of participants :smile:
Anybody on here got any tips from waves that have already happened? I start tomorrow and had a load of personal drama the last week or so and currently feeling woefully underprepared! Any last minute tips or things I should run out and buy?! TIA
I know this is a old post but does anyone know how old you have to be to work on NCS?
Original post by lozzielizzie

Thank you:smile: I was planning on applying for summer 2017 but am feeling a bit uncertain because it says about experience working with aged 16/17 and I'm like THATS MY PEER GROUP!!!!!
Reply 50
Original post by mdowling
Thank you:smile: I was planning on applying for summer 2017 but am feeling a bit uncertain because it says about experience working with aged 16/17 and I'm like THATS MY PEER GROUP!!!!!

Hi, I am in the same boat as yourself with me recently turning 18. I attend a sixth form currently and the challenge came in to promote the programme to the younger members of the sixth form so I spoke to the representatives about applying for a job role as an 18 year old and if I was likely to be considered. Their response was that 18 year old's are legally allowed to apply but it is important to show a sense of maturity in your application also, they still require the same skills and attributes as other applicants of an older age. But, it really is dependent on your character and skills as an 18 year old. Either way, good luck to you if you choose to apply.
Original post by emsy123
Hi, I am in the same boat as yourself with me recently turning 18. I attend a sixth form currently and the challenge came in to promote the programme to the younger members of the sixth form so I spoke to the representatives about applying for a job role as an 18 year old and if I was likely to be considered. Their response was that 18 year old's are legally allowed to apply but it is important to show a sense of maturity in your application also, they still require the same skills and attributes as other applicants of an older age. But, it really is dependent on your character and skills as an 18 year old. Either way, good luck to you if you choose to apply.

Oooh thank you so much for your reply! I think I probably will apply, I loved doing NCS so much and I'm quite mature... Do you think you will apply?
Reply 52
Original post by mdowling
Oooh thank you so much for your reply! I think I probably will apply, I loved doing NCS so much and I'm quite mature... Do you think you will apply?

Yes I think that I am going to. I enjoyed both participating and volunteering on the programme so I feel as though it would be a good opportunity.
Reply 53
Hey, I have a support worker assessment next week. I haven't been informed on what I will be doing...can you give me an idea please? Thank you! Hope yours went well.
Hello,
I have my interview in a few hours and I've not been told anything about attire!
Should I go formal? Or jeans? Or leggings? Help!!!!
Reply 55
What should I wear for the interview? is it a very formal interview?
Reply 56
Hi how old to you have to be to be a mentor for NCS
How old do you have to be to become a team leader on NCS? Nowhere tells you the age range it just says you will be responsible for groups ages 15-17 that's it but no age range for being the mentor
Reply 58
I just got a job on NCS as I team leader and I’m 18

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending