Jadeth98
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello!So I've recently sat mock exams for WJEC Chem and Physics and Edexcel Maths, got ADU (AS level). I was hoping if someone could help me out with some tips to boost my grades before the exams in May/June because nothing else is seeming to sink in..Thanks in advance
Lau14
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Jadeth98)
Hello!So I've recently sat mock exams for WJEC Chem and Physics and Edexcel Maths, got ADU (AS level). I was hoping if someone could help me out with some tips to boost my grades before the exams in May/June because nothing else is seeming to sink in..Thanks in advance
A revision timetable might help you out, even if it's just a rough one that says do x hours of this a week/a day or complete these past papers during this week/fortnight. Prioritise subjects you're doing well in, but don't neglect any.

Finding an effective way of revision for you is important - try revision notes, posters/post it notes of things you struggle with stuck somewhere you see them every day, index cards (question on the front, answer on the back, test yourself).

The best revision resources are usually past papers, but make sure you understand all the content first (not necessarily be able to remember it all, but if there's anything you don't get, go see a teacher) - for a start, past papers are limited and you don't want to waste them. Look at how many you have, and how much time you have until exams, and pace yourself so you don't run out - aim to be doing them regularly. You might also have textbooks with exam style questions in.

With any past papers you've completed/your mock exams, go over them carefully and look for every mark you've lost and why (stupid mistake, calculation error, didn't know the stuff, exam technique?). This will help you figure out what you need to work on most.

Important final tips:
  • take breaks during revision (10 minutes an hour is probably a decent guideline, with some longer breaks if you're doing a whole day. Your brain can't keep continuously working very effectively). Try leaving wherever you're revising during this time - get a change of scenery, make sure you drink plenty, do something to totally take your mind off it but try to avoid anything that'll suck you in for longer than your break time!
  • Even if you really don't feel like it, do some revision every day - just twenty minutes of reading through your notes or something. There might be the odd day where you literally don't have the time, but try to keep it up as much as you can.
  • Don't just revise things once, keep coming back to them. Make sure you've at least read through everything in the last few weeks before the exam so that you know you aren't missing anything!

Good luck
icecreamcake
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Heya I'm in the same position as you

What I'm doing is trying to write up all my notes by the easter holidays, so that during the easter holidays I can memorise my notes and do past papers.

I know it's hard and I'm finding it super difficult to find motivation but we can do this! Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (33)
5.63%
Uncertainty around my education (69)
11.77%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (66)
11.26%
Lack of purpose or motivation (75)
12.8%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (33)
5.63%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (31)
5.29%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (63)
10.75%
Financial worries (38)
6.48%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (24)
4.1%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
5.8%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.56%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (58)
9.9%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (47)
8.02%

Watched Threads