What should I ask Norman Lamb MP, the Minister of State for Care and Support? Watch

miser
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago

In a couple of weeks' time I'll be going to Westminster to interview Lib Dem Norman Lamb MP, the Minister of State for Care and Support, and Parliamentary Private Secretary to the Deputy PM Nick Clegg.

I want to know what people would most like to hear from him! The focus will be on mental health, so I'd love to hear people's questions about that particularly, but there'll be some time for more general questions as well.

I'll take the best questions from this thread to ask him, and we'll put up a video of his responses on the site!

Please leave your questions here - this is a chance to get your question put directly to a member of government.
Queen Cersei
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Why do the Lib Dems think that mental health is one of the most important issues to tackle? What will be your approach to your mental health policies- purely treatment or also preventative measures?
SausageMan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Why did the Libdems want to privatise scottish water in 2011?

Why did the Libdems support the Ripa Bill in 2000? When in your 2014 pre-manifesto you pledge to "Protect privacy by updatingdata laws for the internet agewith a Digital Bill of Rights." Would your bill of data rights include to right to encrypt data and allow the use of a VPN network?

Danny Alexander in January promised Inverness and Aberdeen a city deal. Under a current deal Glasgow and Clyde Valley has a infrastructure fund worth £1.13 billion. So how much would Inverness and Aberdeen would be given? Hopefully there will be no empty promises of making the A9 a duel carriage way again, which Ian Grey failed to deliver this during his time as First Minister and the other failed promise of building an Aberdeen city by pass which has been talked about since 1970 but ground work has never started. *Infrastructure is not a devolved area, spending per head in Scotland is roughly £30*

In your proposals to the Smith Comission you recommend: "
Home rule and local community power are both part of the same LiberalDemocrat aspiration: that the structures of government should be relevant toand accountable to the public; that democratic power stems from the peopleand should be operated at an effective level but, where possible, at the lowestappropriate level." And in your pre 2015 manifesto: "Takeforwardtherecommendationsoft heCampbellCommissiononfiscal federalism for Scotland, including powers to raise the majorityof the money it spends, not least through control of the taxes onincomes and wealth, and assigning to Scotland corporation taxreceipts from Scottish businesses. "

The final recommendations of Smith, has not resulted in the Home Rule which was promised by your party throughout the referendum. As a
lmost all welfare powers will remain reserved to Westminster:Housing benefit will NOT be extricated from Universal Credit, as Labour’s devolution proposals had claimed would be possible (without ever explaining how). Holyrood’s power over it will extend only in being able to choose to pay housing benefits weekly or fortnightly instead of monthly. Fetch the bunting and cancel police leave.Paragraph 45 merely reiterates what is the current position – Holyrood can mitigate the effects of the bedroom tax by paying it out of its own budget. It will NOT be able to “abolish” the tax. The only change recommended by Smith is that Holyrood will now be able to do so for other benefits without requiring Westminster’s permission first.

The changes to control of income tax are in any practical effect non-existent, and were almost all provided for already by the Scotland Act 2012 and due to be implemented by 2015/16 anyway.
But even the limited new proposals in Smith are all but meaningless. As noted by the BBC’s Douglas Fraser today, it is in practice close to impossible to effectively vary income tax rates inside the borders of a unitary state:“within a united Britain, it looks like being very easy for high earners to move their tax address to other parts of the UK, avoiding the highest rate of tax, and depriving the Scottish finance minister of a lot of cash.”
Smith also does NOT propose devolution of revenue from income tax on savings and dividends – something else which WAS recommended by the Calman Commission report (paragraph 32) but not implemented. This further reduces any possible powers of wealth redistribution, as does Westminster’s retention of personal allowances. So why did you promise for all powers to be devolved bar Defence and Foreign Affairs, if you couldn't deliver?
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Why is the government continuing to cut down on the support students can access through the DSA, making university even less accessible for disabled students, both for those with mental health issues and other disabilities?
Moosferatu
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
How does he feel about Iain Duncan Smith's record on welfare which resulted in so many deaths of mentally and physically disabled individuals that they stopped recording the figures?
Everglow
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Where do the Liberal Democrats stand on the the Right to Die bill presented by Lord Falconer?
username1697607
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A more general question: how do the lib dems expect to ever regain the youth vote after their betrayal to us at the last election? How do they feel that this betrayal will effect their long term votes? people are unlikely to forget the rise in tuition fees so they have likely lost a generation of voters.
tengentoppa
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Can the Lib Dems guarantee continued strong funding for mental health, given they will at best be a minority party in a coalition government and have to make concessions?
Andy98
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As far as I understand one of many flaws in the current mental healthcare system is that there just aren't enough people working in the industry. I'd like to ask what Mr Lamb would do to combat this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Swanbow
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What will he do to bring the wages of Care Workers towards the Living Wage?
Queen Cersei
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Andy98)
As far as I understand one of many flaws in the current mental healthcare system is that there just aren't enough people working in the industry. I'd like to ask what Mr Lamb would do to combat this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Great question! And how much will they increase the amount of funds being channeled into mental health and where will this money come from?
Kittiara
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
* In my area, there are people with mental health problems too serious for short-term intervention. These people are placed on lengthy waiting lists. Some have to wait a year, others two years, before they receive treatment. In the meanwhile, they receive no support at all. Whilst the Lib Dems are promising to cut waiting times, this does not appear to affect these specific waiting lists, which remain substantial. I would like to ask Mr. Lamb what the Government proposes to do to improve the quality of life of people finding themselves in this situation?

* The WCAs have been found unfit for purpose, especially for people with mental health conditions. Yet, the WCAs continue in the same form, including for people with mental health conditions. This has led to a lot of suffering, even deaths. How can the Government justify this?

* How can the Government justify the imminent removal of the ILF, which will send people, now happily living in their own communities, into care homes, at greater expense and a significant decrease in their quality of life?

* It is very difficult for adults to obtain funding for Autism assessments. Even when funding can be obtained, there are lengthy waiting lists, and assessments often take place far away from home. It is important for people to understand why they are the way they are, and to have access to appropriate advice and support. What will the Government do to remedy this?

* Why did the Liberal Democrats back Government measures that have caused great suffering amongst poor and vulnerable members of the population? Doesn't the Government have a duty of care?
furryface12
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Why is there such a huge difference in mental health care between different areas of the UK, and what will you do to change this? What will you do to improve care for teenagers and young adults specifically and raise awareness? Would money be spent more on improving care for people in the community, or providing more hospital beds for psychiatric care?

Posted from TSR Mobile
-Influenza
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Are you planning on tackling mental health stigma in the Armed Forces? There are far too many mental health issues that prevent enlistment, even if these issues have been dealt with and resolved years before. I think it is unbelievably unfair as 'real' illnesses are accepted, and the Armed Forces cause a lot of mental health issues in their employees.
ridwan12
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by miser)

In a couple of weeks' time I'll be going to Westminster to interview Lib Dem Norman Lamb MP, the Minister of State for Care and Support, and Parliamentary Private Secretary to the Deputy PM Nick Clegg.

I want to know what people would most like to hear from him! The focus will be on mental health, so I'd love to hear people's questions about that particularly, but there'll be some time for more general questions as well.

I'll take the best questions from this thread to ask him, and we'll put up a video of his responses on the site!

Please leave your questions here - this is a chance to get your question put directly to a member of government.
More of a general one here:

Is it fair to claim that the lib dem party is for the £9000 tuition fee cost, particularly when they have slated the labour plans to reduce it to £6000 without providing any alternative?

and

How do you feel about the prospects of nick clegg holding his seat come may, especially when he is behind labour in the unite and lord ashcroft polls?
randdom
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What would your party do after the next election to tackle the woefully inadequate amount of community based mental health treatment across the country. NICE currently recommend that for mild to moderate depression general practitioners strongly consider the use of cognitive behavioural therapy. How are they meant to follow this guideline when the waiting list for CBT is so long and they can see patients mental health deteriorating while they wait for treatment.
scrawlx101
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Is studying clinical psychology at uni worth it interms of future job prospects?
Coffinman
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I would ask him what he proposes to do about mental health and care laws being used to unlawfully detain and drug people or place elderly in care and strip their assets with the aid of secretive care courts akin to the private prison scandals from the USA.
There are other instances which might concern the public for example the case of parents removing their child from hospital because they didn't agree with doctors which led to a smear campaign and farcical cross country manhunt. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-28978655
titl3y
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by miser)

Would the Lib Dems help to educate young people about mental health issues? More and more young people are suffering from mental health problems yet have not been educated to understand the effects of mental health problems on their lives and the relationships they have with people around them.
Paladian
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Why do mental health services provide help for the 'positive' sides of mental illness and don't help with the 'negative sides of illness?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.01%
They might tell the bully (18)
9.84%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.49%
It might lead to more bullying (70)
38.25%
There's nothing they could do (52)
28.42%

Watched Threads