OCR Psychology G541 Watch

lil12345
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
hi can someone help me with this question please

psychologist wants to use the observation method to investigate students ability to resist temptation they will watch how each student behaves when sitting at a table with a chocolate bar placed in front of them and told they cannot eat it

describe and evaluate a suitable procedure for this observation study.
Claros
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by lil12345)
hi can someone help me with this question please

psychologist wants to use the observation method to investigate students ability to resist temptation they will watch how each student behaves when sitting at a table with a chocolate bar placed in front of them and told they cannot eat it

describe and evaluate a suitable procedure for this observation study.
Things you need to consider are:
Where- the location of the study
Who- who you are observing, otherwise known as the sample. How will this be obtained (sampling method)?
What- what are you observing? You'd probably need to come up with a coding scheme
Time- What month/day are you doing this, and what times? Are you doing this over several days?
Observers- How many observers will there be? Will this be overt or covert observation? Where will they be situated?

Evaluation points:
Ethics- if you choose covert observation, what are the ethical consequences of this?
Validity- if the observation is overt, how might people change their behaviour (demand characteristics/social desirability bias)
Reliability- if you have several observers then there could be inter-rater reliability. Also refer to the procedure (are you doing it at the same time every day etc...)

Hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
19.58%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (64)
9.57%
No I am happy with my course choice (378)
56.5%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (96)
14.35%

Watched Threads