The Student Room Group

IB subjects for Law

Hi :smile: In about 2 weeks, I'm going to choose my IB subjects and I have a great dillema. I'd really want to study Law and I don't know what subjects would be the best to choose. The university that I'm interested in doesn't require anything specific, what's why I'm hesitating.

HL: Polish(it's my mother tounge, so I must take it), English and there's a problem, Economics or History? What would be more useful? I don't mind both subjects, tbh, so I just reckon what is better for this particular course.

SL: Chemistry, French ab initio and Maths Studies.

I would really appreciate all of the answers, thank you :smile:
Reply 1
HL:

- English
- History
- Global Politics / Philosophy

SL:

- Polish
- Chemistry
- Math

This is what I'd choose if I plan to study Law at uni. All comes down to personal preference though.

Best of luck!
Hey, Ex IB student here and Im doing Law for Uni this year.

In all honesty, if you are going for Law, the subjects don't matter because there isn't a prerequisite for Law. They only require you to have a good command of English. From my experience, go with the subject combination that helps to score the most points. Trust me, a good combination of SL will ensure you a 7 7 7. As for HL everyone suffers, so choose something that you have confidence in and all the best for IB :smile:

I took HL History and Economics and for me i enjoy History better although I only got a 6 but my Econs is a 7. History is a lot of reading and memorisation and analysis not that economics don't require them, but Econs have got more to do with application (A plus side if you're good in calculations it that Paper 3 will help pull your grades up).
If you're insistent on doing History, perhaps History SL is good because History Paper 3 is crazy. (for my Option, it was another 200 years of chinese history..thank god for my extremely good teacher)

Hope it helps! I'll be happy to answer anymore questions
Reply 3
If you're applying for law you're better off taking one or two higher level subjects that are essay based (you've got that covered as you've picked 3!). Your standard level subject combination looks manageable sans chemistry. For the record, chemistry SL (new syllabus - exam in 2016 onwards) is quite a lot more difficult than the old syllabus. A lot of people I know are struggling with it despite everyone (people who took the old syllabus) telling them its easy - the old syllabus was but the new one which you'll be following is NOT as easy. Do take that into consideration! I seriously recommend you take biology in lieu of it. It's mostly memorization based and the concepts aren't all that complex (for the record, way way less complex than chem ones) and thus are easy to understand. However, if you dislike memorization/don't like the bio teacher/hate bio/prefer to do chemistry, stick w/chemistry!

History/Economics: Pick the one you're more interested in. I also recommend looking into the track record of the teachers that teach each course. I'm pretty sure one teacher is better than the other and/or gets better results. I'd recommend going for the teacher with the better record if you equally like both classes. I'll also add that economics is the easiest group 3 subject statistically speaking and history the hardest (2% usually get 7s in history, 13-14% get 7s in economics). In terms of usefulness, history is probably more useful for law because of the analytic skills you develop from the course that are useful for law.

Quick Reply