bethanyhelina
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm in A2 and I'm comparing the ways in which Shakespeare and Larkin present appearance and reality.
I'm using the line 'thou shalt not escape calumny'.
So for anyone who doesn't know the context behind it, Hamlet is basically using Ophelia to vent his feelings about women and how they corrupt men. He's saying that no matter how pure you are, you won't escape lies and corruption.
That being said, I've made the point that this is dramatic irony, this is because Hamlet's saying to Ophelia that no matter how pure you are, you won't escape lies, whilst right at that point in time, Hamlet's putting on an antic-disposition and a false appearance that he's never had feelings for Ophelia. However, he did before he got angry at Gertrude and Claudius and started putting on his antic-disposition.
I've gone into a little more detail in my essay, but that's basically it, I feel like this is too weak? Have I even used dramatic irony correctly?
Any feedback will be great and extremely helpful!
Arkasia
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Dramatic Irony is when the audience has greater knowledge of an event or plot point than the character in question does, so I'm not sure if you are using it correctly.
keewic
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't think that's dramatic irony. An example would be if e.g. a man had spend 15 years working day and night to save up enough money to buy a car of his dreams. He manages to buy the car but dies in a car crash a week later. His ultimate dream occurs simultaneously with his death. This is dramatic irony.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (203)
23.52%
Pop (214)
24.8%
Jazz (33)
3.82%
Classical (48)
5.56%
Hip-Hop (166)
19.24%
Electronic (60)
6.95%
Indie (139)
16.11%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise