AND....FULL OF 10 MILLION Raymats :rolleyes:
Gnomes&Knights
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by coconuthead--)
AND....FULL OF 10 MILLION Raymats :rolleyes:
Lol I know its filled with so many Pakistanis and Bangladeshis. That's pretty much the result you get and when you place a good university in the middle of a freaking ghetto!! I assume a lot of them go QMUL because they feel they will not fit in socially into other universities. It's not a problem though, most will be friendly but I'm not pretty sure about the I-Soc lot!! Some of them tend to be a bit hostile, but anyways it's not all just South Asian. There's also English, Americans, Somalis, Blacks and Chinese (and the like) so you might actually like the multicultural environment there.
The Wavefunction
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by `Jts)
Least prestigious Russell Group universities? Oh typical TSR...

They're all great universities for research otherwise they wouldn't be apart of the Russel Group.
Never on this thread has anyone said they aren't great universities. Obviously Oxford is more prestigious than than Bristol and Bristol more than Newcastle.
username1697607
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
it does not feel like Britain. I was the only white person on the open day ..I hate to say this but... I'd rather go somewhere else but I respect it's a good university.
Really? What course was that? History is full of white people it's similar with all London univeritys apparently, they're all very multicultural!
coconuthead--
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Raymat)
Lol I know its filled with so many Pakistanis and Bangladeshis. That's pretty much the result you get and when you place a good university in the middle of a freaking ghetto!! I assume a lot of them go QMUL because they feel they will not fit in socially into other universities. It's not a problem though, most will be friendly but I'm not pretty sure about the I-Soc lot!! Some of them tend to be a bit hostile, but anyways it's not all just South Asian. There's also English, Americans, Somalis, Blacks and Chinese (and the like) so you might actually like the multicultural environment there.
Sorry if i offended you inadvertently, but i assume you're pakistani or bengali. I just preferred other unis and the modules
Gnomes&Knights
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sorry if i offended you inadvertently, but i assume you're pakistani or bengali. I just preferred other unis and the modules
I'm Bengali and don't worry you didn't. I know how it feels to meet different people and it can feel quite awkward. I've felt it myself when going to open days. Not everyone finds it easy to go beyond their social comfort zone.
coconuthead--
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm Bengali and don't worry you didn't. I know how it feels to meet different people and it can feel quite awkward. I've felt it myself when going to open days. Not everyone finds it easy to go beyond their social comfort zone.
No nooo I do have a few asian friends, but I go to a grammar school and there's only like 15 in the whole year group-who have they're own "race" group but they're nice people

Posted from TSR Mobile
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
and because they aren't allowed to move out potentially? my 6th form was predominantly muslim (although I'm not) and almost all the muslims went to local universities
Baron of Sealand
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Snufkin)
I'm surprised that so many people have said Liverpool, I thought it was as good as any other red brick uni. I've always thought Nottingham was overrated, at least half of my year group applied there - no idea why. :dong:
Because it's got loads of places.
Baron of Sealand
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by solarplexus)
no offense but apart from the so called 'G5' (oxbridge, ucl, icl, lse).

there is no big deal about the other RGs (partly because the group is 24 strong thus exclusivity is watered down).

but i would say the bottom 3:
cardiff
QUB
I also don't really see the big deal with Liverpool

(we're talking about the unis as a whole here).
This.

Bottom 3 is very difficult to list when Cardiff and QUB are there only really because they are the only ones out of England and Scotland.
callum_law
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am not quite sure why Newcastle gets so much ****. Perhaps because you lot are all Southerners without much appreciation for the anything so far North? I'm not sure.

I think QMUL takes the biscuit. QMUL*3.
Gnomes&Knights
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by callum_law)
I am not quite sure why Newcastle gets so much ****. Perhaps because you lot are all Southerners without much appreciation for the anything so far North? I'm not sure.

I think QMUL takes the biscuit. QMUL*3.
QMUL is Asian fest. Queen Mary University of London? More like 'South Asia University'...of London!!
callum_law
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
QMUL is Asian fest. Queen Mary University of London? More like 'South Asia University'...of London!!
Yeah, for some reason South East Asia think it's prestigious. I am not quite sure why.
jambojim97
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
NOT Sheffield. Has excellent research intensive departments in many important fields, such as engineering, medicine and social sciences (especially politics).
Magnus Taylor
Badges: 15
Report 4 years ago
Most of the universities in the north suck, put five of the South against the best five of the North for example:
South
1. Oxford
2. Cambridge
3. Warwick
4. LSE
5. Imperial
North
1. Durham
2. Manchester
3. Sheffield
4. Newcastle
5. Leeds

Even with the subs the South dominates the likes of UCL+Bristol+KCL( which are as good as Warwick but I am biased towards Warwick) , against the North subs such as Liverpool lol

In synopsis, Northern Russel group universities are generally poorer than South
Gnomes&Knights
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by callum_law)
Yeah, for some reason South East Asia think it's prestigious. I am not quite sure why.
The ridiculously low entry requirements at clearing explains why it's so popular to some South Asians. What a Russell Group university!!
Random1357
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Magnus Taylor)
Most of the universities in the north suck, put five of the South against the best five of the North for example:
South
1. Oxford
2. Cambridge
3. Warwick
4. LSE
5. Imperial
North
1. Durham
2. Manchester
3. Sheffield
4. Newcastle
5. Leeds

Even with the subs the South dominates the likes of UCL+Bristol+KCL( which are as good as Warwick but I am biased towards Warwick) , against the North subs such as Liverpool lol

In synopsis, Northern Russel group universities are generally poorer than South
It's subject dependant.

More league tables would put Cambridge on top. (Admittedly not times)
Magnus Taylor
Badges: 15
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Random1357)
It's subject dependant.

More league tables would put Cambridge on top. (Admittedly not times)
Yeah the universities I listed are not in any order anyway like Imperial and LSE are better than Warwick. However, my argument was the Southern Universities are stronger members of the group than the Northern
gagafacea1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by NotJustAName)
I can imagine it being really down to earth, friendly and unpretentious there.
I really hope nobody considers "pretentiousness" a valid factor in deciding which university to choose/apply to.
daisychain_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
you're all such snobs
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.71%
Excited (151)
9.01%
Worried (303)
18.08%
Terrified (375)
22.37%
Meh (155)
9.25%
Confused (37)
2.21%