True that

Posted from TSR Mobile
rkhan57
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Raymat)
A lot of Muslims do quite poorly at GCE A level. The reason would be because Muslims on average are not that hardworking and tend to flop exams so end up in not so good local universities. Muslim parents or more specifically, Asian parents don't want their children to study away from home and it's probably more of a cultural thing. With girls it would mainly be because they have responsibilities at home and the boys are probably not going to be able to cater themselves at university. There also religious reasons as well but I'm pretty sure there are many Muslims who don't feel comfortable with the social life at university that's why they don't study away from home.
I beg to differ regarding Asians not doing well at a levels, all the Asians I know have done extremely well as their parents have pushed them and are very pro education. Even my white friends have admitted that Asian parents seem intimidating when it comes down to education and results.
frances98
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
University of Glasgow?! Are you sure?

Well I think as the G5 exists there should be an L5 (Low 5) of the Russell Group;

University of Liverpool
Queen Mary University of London
Queen's University Belfast
Newcastle University
Cardiff University
Why does everyone really put down newcastle?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gnomes&Knights
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by rkhan57)
I beg to differ regarding Asians not doing well at a levels, all the Asians I know have done extremely well as their parents have pushed them and are very pro education. Even my white friends have admitted that Asian parents seem intimidating when it comes down to education and results.
You could be talking about Indians as they tend to excel a lot educationally. Pakistanis and Bangladeshis are nowhere near as educationally successful as the Indians. In every ethnic group there is always going to be hardworking individuals but in some ethnic groups, hardworking individuals are more common than in others.
binarythoughts
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You could be talking about Indians as they tend to excel a lot educationally. Pakistanis and Bangladeshis are nowhere near as educationally successful as the Indians. In every ethnic group there is always going to be hardworking individuals but in some ethnic groups, hardworking individuals are more common than in others.

This is bull****
rayquaza17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So much hate for Newcastle.

I'll have you know I only applied for Newcastle and thus I rejected all other universities.

(Original post by Changing Skies)
Eh, I agree Liverpool isn't one of the best but it honestly doesn't deserve the amount of criticism it sometimes receives. I couldn't be happier there and do not regret my choice at all

Posted from TSR Mobile
Exactly how I feel.

(Original post by Magnus Taylor)
Most of the universities in the north suck, put five of the South against the best five of the North for example:
South
1. Oxford
2. Cambridge
3. Warwick
4. LSE
5. Imperial
North
1. Durham
2. Manchester
3. Sheffield
4. Newcastle
5. Leeds

Even with the subs the South dominates the likes of UCL+Bristol+KCL( which are as good as Warwick but I am biased towards Warwick) , against the North subs such as Liverpool lol

In synopsis, Northern Russel group universities are generally poorer than South
Maybe this has something to do with the fact there's more universities down south than up north?
Anyway Sheffield is not north, it's like 130 miles way from Newcastle!
IMO The north ends at York.
1drowssap
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by callum_law)
I am not quite sure why Newcastle gets so much ****. Perhaps because you lot are all Southerners without much appreciation for the anything so far North? I'm not sure.

I think QMUL takes the biscuit. QMUL*3.
Are you talking in terms of international or national rankings?
In terms of international rankings, it's not as weak as you would think. It's 19th in the UK according to QS world rankings. U of York, cardiff U, U of liverpool, U of newcastle, U of Exeter and QUB are below it.

In terms of national rankings though, that's pretty much accurate.
Borgia
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Newcastle is rated 20th in the country, ahead of Sheffield, Edinburgh and Manchester.

Leeds is not far behind at 23
rkhan57
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nope I'm talking about Pakistanis. Being from a town which is heavily populated with Pakistanis who mostly are all doing/done good degrees with good jobs.
Borgia
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by rayquaza17)
So much hate for Newcastle.

I'll have you know I only applied for Newcastle and thus I rejected all other universities.

Exactly how I feel.

Maybe this has something to do with the fact there's more universities down south than up north?
Anyway Sheffield is not north, it's like 130 miles way from Newcastle!
IMO The north ends at York.
Has a bit of a rep for rich kids thats why.

It's just in the top 20 this year though

Btw the North ends between Nottinghamshire and Yorkshire, so Sheffield is the North
Gnomes&Knights
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nope I'm talking about Pakistanis. Being from a town which is heavily populated with Pakistanis who mostly are all doing/done good degrees with good jobs.
That's not the case for most Pakistanis and Bangladeshis as a lot of them I know struggle to even do well at GCSE and most of the ones that get to college don't even end up in prestigious universities. You will find a higher proportion of very well educated individuals amongst the Indians.
binarythoughts
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Pakistan has a **** load of intelligent and ambitious people
Mad wife
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm surprised Qub gets such a bad review. It has a fantastic medical school and is pretty research intensive. It did pretty well in Ref. I don't think it's that bad a university.
Okorange
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Magnus Taylor)
Most of the universities in the north suck, put five of the South against the best five of the North for example:
South
1. Oxford
2. Cambridge
3. Warwick
4. LSE
5. Imperial
North
1. Durham
2. Manchester
3. Sheffield
4. Newcastle
5. Leeds

Even with the subs the South dominates the likes of UCL+Bristol+KCL( which are as good as Warwick but I am biased towards Warwick) , against the North subs such as Liverpool lol

In synopsis, Northern Russel group universities are generally poorer than South
Not sure if you are talking only about England, but if you include Scotland then you instantly have St Andrews and Edinburgh. If you compare by population it makes sense, as the north is less populated than the south.
frances98
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Borgia)
Has a bit of a rep for rich kids thats why.

It's just in the top 20 this year though

Btw the North ends between Nottinghamshire and Yorkshire, so Sheffield is the North
Nottingham is nowhere near the north. I agree with it ending at York. Leeds at a push

Posted from TSR Mobile
Twinpeaks
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sheffield is ranked higher internationally and Glasgow has a long history as a university which I believe should be taken into consideration. It's an ancient university.

Cardiff is better for research though.

http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/news/view/7...olden-triangle

People always underestimate Cardiff people because it's in Wales. Sad really.
Twinpeaks
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That's exactly what I though in the past but then I was shocked when I found out it wasn't.

Because it's about research. That's what determines a Russell Group uni.

The amount of people who don't know that are shocking.
Cobalt_
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Unsure why this thread is mentioned.

Universities are dependant on the course your doing tbh.
But imo id say overall the least 3 are:

Liverpool.
Cardiff.
Queens uni Belfast.
callum_law
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by 1drowssap)
Are you talking in terms of international or national rankings?
In terms of international rankings, it's not as weak as you would think. It's 19th in the UK according to QS world rankings. U of York, cardiff U, U of liverpool, U of newcastle, U of Exeter and QUB are below it.

In terms of national rankings though, that's pretty much accurate.
The problem with the international rankings is that they're full of ****. Have you seen the spread each ranking has for the RG? Some unis are 55 in one, 250 in another, 150 in this one (plus QMUL is ranked as being the same as Durham in the QS rankings). And for some reason people think the international rankings are more reliable than the domestic rankings—they ain't.
HucktheForde
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Arggghh I will enroll in QMUL this September. Should I turn it down?

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (137)
17.77%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (73)
9.47%
No I am happy with my course choice (454)
58.88%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (107)
13.88%

Watched Threads