The Student Room Group

Issues with picking my GCSE options?!?!

I'm returning my gcse option slip tomorrow but still feel very indecisive!
The options i had in mind before were: spanish, triple science, art and history/geography. However, the science department have told me that i am unable to do triple science when according to my levels i actually can. If i return my option slip without picking triple science but then my teacher says i can take it after i've given it in, will i have the option to replace a picken subject with triple science later?

and another question is, if i had to pick between geography and history, which one is better? more respected, easier, and fun?

or if i picked both would it be too much work? in hisory must you have a good memory to keep all dates in mind?

i would really appreciate answers ASAP thanks !
Original post by Gulistan2000
I'm returning my GCSE option slip tomorrow but still feel very indecisive!
The options i had in mind before were: Spanish, triple science, art and history/geography. However, the science department have told me that i am unable to do triple science when according to my levels i actually can. If i return my option slip without picking triple science but then my teacher says i can take it after i've given it in, will i have the option to replace a picken subject with triple science later?

and another question is, if i had to pick between geography and history, which one is better? more respected, easier, and fun?

or if i picked both would it be too much work? in hisory must you have a good memory to keep all dates in mind?

Picking GCSE options is over-stressed in year 9. A lot of people were allowed to swap their subjects after the first trial half term so don't feel too committed although it's good to consider all options.
GCSE Art seemed really easy and enjoyable at first, but bear in mind the amount of hours you'll have to put in to make your grade half decent. Take it only if you truly enjoy art and not picking it as a getaway lesson.
History has SO much to remember and the 2 hour long exams..be prepared for International Relations and Depth Studies.
However, I do think that History is the most 'respected' of all options excluding languages. Spanish is occasionally fun and there is some coursework to lean on for final grade. I do recommend triple science though especially if you want to do any science related A-Levels in the future. It's helpful to have at least a vague idea of what you want to do.
Good luck in your studies :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Gulistan2000
I'm returning my gcse option slip tomorrow but still feel very indecisive!
The options i had in mind before were: spanish, triple science, art and history/geography. However, the science department have told me that i am unable to do triple science when according to my levels i actually can. If i return my option slip without picking triple science but then my teacher says i can take it after i've given it in, will i have the option to replace a picken subject with triple science later?

GCSE art - hell. Really. It's a nice fun subject until your deadline approaches and you have a load of work due in. If you're prepared to put the hours in, then go for it, but do be aware that it takes a lot of time away from your other subjects. The good thing about it is that the final exam is taken around March/april of yr11 - so by the time exam season comes around, that's one subject out of the way

Triple Science - great if you love science.

History/Geography - not too much work if you take them both - I know people who took both, and they were fine. Geo has a lot of case studies you need to remember, and essays and stuff. I took History and loved it, but there is a lot of dates and names you need to remember - you can get around this though - I said the year, instead of the exact date. Most of the dates you don't really need to remember though - as long as you know what you're talking about, it'll be ok.

At GCSE it doesn't really matter about respect - get good GCSEs in English, Maths, Science and then not much else matters.

At my old school, they let us have a 3 week period, where we could change subject if we felt we'd picked the wrong GCSEs.

Quick Reply

Latest