The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

English Lit lecture sizes

I went on another visit day today that basically reminded me of all the reasons why I love, prefer and would suit Royal Holloway best.

The only question I have is that during my RHUL visit day, the taster lecture groups got mixed up. There were meant to be 2 different sessions with 4 groups (2 in each session or something like that?). 2 groups would go into the room after the first 2 groups had finished. However, on the day, almost everyone in the last 2 groups went into the room without waiting for when they were meant to. Thus, my taster lecture literally had 3 people (including me) in it. It was pretty obvious this is never going to be the true lecture size.

I'm just wondering what the usual lecture sizes are for English Lit. On the visit day I went on today, the uni and its ambassadors all said that for English, there is rarely more than about 14 in a group. In today's session, there was about 10 of it and it was a lovely size and best suited my personality. I felt comfortable and able to speak 'out of turn' - sometimes if the group is so big, like at school, I feel like I can't do this as much.

Of course, as I've said, RHUL has beaten all other unis I have secured offers with in every aspect. The lecture size, in the end, won't overrule the fact that I want to go there. I'm just wondering what size the lecture groups (roughly) are for English Lit, and if anyone could give me a min/max number it'd be really helpful and I'd appreciate it a lot.

EDIT: The taster session I had today at the other uni also seemed a lot more like a general discussion rather than being taught and having to just listen to the professor. I'm just wondering if this is also similar to the way RHUL teaches English Lit. I'm imagining there is no getting out of needing to write notes down, listen solidly for a while etc etc. However, if RHUL's lectures do include 'debate' and discussions where it feels like the professor is just leading it, it would be another thing I'd love to get out of my lectures. I suppose this comes down to if the lecture groups are small or not? It'd be quite hard to have an organised debate/discussion with a huge group, I'd imagine. If so, what is the alternative? What are English Lit lectures really like? It's a shame really that my taster lecture wasn't very realistic due to people not following what they were meant to haha.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
It's generally seminars which have such small numbers, I would say all my seminars are about 10-14. They are generally quite small and relaxed, you can get to know everyone and there's a chance to give your opinion when you want to. Lectures on the other hand can be huge, these aren't so much about discussion but lecturers introducing arguments and theories to you for you to go on to discuss in seminars. Lectures can hold as many as 200 students.

I'm a first year and lecture sizes will always vary depending on the module, lessening in the second and third years as there are more modules to choose from and the students disperse but they will try and keep a similar number of students (14 or so) in seminars.

Also your groups will be better organised once you start and get a real timetable, you will have one seminar group for each module, it will be like having different classes for each subject at school/college.

Hope this answers your questions :smile:
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending