All my friends are suddenly bisexual... Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I have nothing against different sexualities. In fact I don't really think I believe in sexuality per se, I think people are either asexual or they simply like who they like. I identify as straight though since I've only ever had relations with or had 'proper crushes' on guys (I'm a girl), so this just seems easiest and most logical.

Over the last year or two 6 of my female friends have gradually decided to identify as bisexual. I find it strange because none have ever dated anyone but guys and whilst they might comment on female celebrities being hot (don't we all?), when it comes to the kind of 'crushes' that they talk about constantly and envision themselves with romantically, it is again always guys. I just don't see it, I guess.

Am I wrong in finding this annoying and silly? We are all 18.

I don't really see the point in identifying as bisexual unless you are actually sexually or romantically involved with somebody of the same sex, or planning to be. I don't hold this opinion for homosexual people though, so maybe I am wrong.

I'd be curious to know what any bisexual people who have involved with both genders think - plus have you always known your sexuality and how did you find out?

I wouldn't care ordinarily, I'm ashamed I do, I just can't help feeling a bit dubious.
Queen Cersei
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I have nothing against different sexualities. In fact I don't really think I believe in sexuality per se, I think people are either asexual or they simply like who they like. I identify as straight though since I've only ever had relations with or had 'proper crushes' on guys (I'm a girl), so this just seems easiest and most logical.

Over the last year or two 6 of my female friends have gradually decided to identify as bisexual. I find it strange because none have ever dated anyone but guys and whilst they might comment on female celebrities being hot (don't we all?), when it comes to the kind of 'crushes' that they talk about constantly and envision themselves with romantically, it is again always guys. I just don't see it, I guess.

I don't really see the point in identifying as bisexual unless you are actually sexually or romantically involved with somebody of the same sex, or planning to be. I don't hold this opinion for homosexual people though, so maybe I am wrong.

I'd be curious to know what any bisexual people who have involved with both genders think - plus have you always known your sexuality and how did you find out?

I wouldn't care ordinarily, I'm ashamed I do, I just can't help feeling a bit dubious.
Six friends deciding they are bisexual all at once is quite unusual... sometimes it can just be a phase?
Anonymous #2
Report 4 years ago

It's apparently 'cool' or the new 'in' thing to be seen as bisexual for a girl these days. I believe I'm attracted to girls and guys, but I wouldn't date or be romantically involved with a girl, so therefore I wouldn't say I'm bisexual (I would maybe get with a girl, maybe, kind like a fantasy I guess?) but I personally see it as if you won't be romantically in a relationship with both sexes then you aren't bisexual (but that's just me personally).

They're just going through a phase or trying to be cool by lying about it.

You'll see in a few weeks/months, it'll have all died down. Trust me.

-A
there's too much love
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Let people discover their identities, people discover who they are all the time, your views are the most sensible in my opionion, but they're perhaps working out who they like, rather than who they're meant to Luke ,😴😃
SEHughes
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's frustrating for people who are actually bisexual because fools like this trivialise their orientation. Enough that one of my definitely bixesual friends tells people she's gay to avoid all the sarky comments.
georgiaswift
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well I identify as bisexual but would only date men because of my family's opinions of bisexuality, so a few (although maybe not all) might have this issue
suzannataylor
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Okay, let me ask you this: do you consider people who have never dated anyone to not have a sexuality? E.g. a single guy of 22 who really likes girls but has never dated is still straight, right?
Just because they haven't dated women (yet) doesn't mean they're not bisexual. Please don't trivialise their coming out as 'being cool' or 'a phase'. It's very difficult to come out (especially as bisexual because people will always tell you that you're not really bi or that it's a phase) so it's important to respect them and take them seriously.
DanTheMan83
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Great news for men all over, means more threesomes for us. :cool:
User1824259
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Join the fun.
runningoutoftime
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
the same thing has been happening at my sixth form, last year the vast majority were straight and now 60% say they are bisexual and i have a feeling its kind of a phase as the big "popular" group started it and it has sort of spanned out!
Zander01
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I bet only two of three of them at the very most are genuinely bi-curious. And the others are just following along like sheep
BefuddledPenguin
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A lot of people are bisexual but heteroromantic, this seems especially common in girls.

I'm a bisexual and biromantic guy btw.
H.N.I.C
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
its a fad to be gay these days
em211997
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't think its because its a fad or that its unusual that they all came out at once. They probably new for quite a while but were not confident to come out, but then once one person did the next person would have felt more comfortable in doing so. Its just a case of not feeling alone as coming out is a big deal, strength in numbers means there's a less chance that they'll be bullied.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mankytoes
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

If you look at my thread here-
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2920789

Only 29% of girls reported no sexual attraction to women, the most popular score was a 2, or "Predominantly heterosexual, but more than incidentally homosexual". So if you define bisexual as "attracted to both men and women", this indicates most women are bisexual. It's all about how people choose to label themselves, and this will depend on your society, whether it promotes, or even accepts, bisexuality.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by suzannataylor)
Okay, let me ask you this: do you consider people who have never dated anyone to not have a sexuality? E.g. a single guy of 22 who really likes girls but has never dated is still straight, right?
Just because they haven't dated women (yet) doesn't mean they're not bisexual. Please don't trivialise their coming out as 'being cool' or 'a phase'. It's very difficult to come out (especially as bisexual because people will always tell you that you're not really bi or that it's a phase) so it's important to respect them and take them seriously.
Whoa don't put words into my words I specifically tried to avoid using any phrasing along those lines!
And I was actually wondering that whilst making this post. I came to the conclusion that I don't think you need to actually date somebody to have a sexuality but surely you do need to want to pursue romantic or sexual relations with someone? As opposed to that loose idea of finding them attractive - I find every third person of all ages and genders attractive but I'd never want sexual/romantic relations with most of them.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Mankytoes)
If you look at my thread here-
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2920789

Only 29% of girls reported no sexual attraction to women, the most popular score was a 2, or "Predominantly heterosexual, but more than incidentally homosexual". So if you define bisexual as "attracted to both men and women", this indicates most women are bisexual. It's all about how people choose to label themselves, and this will depend on your society, whether it promotes, or even accepts, bisexuality.
I guess it depends what you classify 'attraction' as too. I enjoy looking at the female body more than the male one so I'm attracted in that way, but I definitely don't see myself falling in love with a girl or having sex with one
Anonymous #1
(Original post by BefuddledPenguin)
A lot of people are bisexual but heteroromantic, this seems especially common in girls.

I'm a bisexual and biromantic guy btw.
That would make sense I suppose! Bit hard for me to get my head around though as I've never been sexually attracted to people I'm romantically interested in.
Chihiro_
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Wow, this thread is a joke. Please stop emphasising negative stereotypes of bisexuality. Just because they've never dated a girl, doesn't mean they're not bisexual or just faking it as a 'phase'.

Bisexuality isn't a phase between heterosexuality and homosexuality. *mic drop*
Mad Vlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Queen Cersei)
Six friends deciding they are bisexual all at once is quite unusual... sometimes it can just be a phase?
Seriously!? :lolwut:

Way to go with the bisexual erasure.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (364)
67.03%
No (179)
32.97%

Watched Threads