The Student Room Group

All my friends are suddenly bisexual...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mad Vlad
Seriously!? :lolwut:

Way to go with the bisexual erasure.

Surely bisexual erasure is saying it's always just a phase? Many people who have studied sexuality, like Alfred Kinsey, feel that your sexuality can change throughout your life, so any sexuality can be "a phase". Jesse J also has openly said bisexuality was a phase for her, so it's odd to deny that exists.
Reply 21
Original post by Astronomical
I thought it was commonly understood that all women are bisexual. :drool:

Incorrect.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mad Vlad
Seriously!? :lolwut:

Way to go with the bisexual erasure.

If that's how you interpreted my meaning that I'm pretty sure you have misunderstood what I meant.

For the record, I am not undermining bisexuality in any way, one of my closest friends is bisexual, just making the point that not all girls who kiss both girls and boys are necessarily definitely bisexual.

Incorrect.
Reply 24
attention seeking? :dontknow:
perhaps something happened to them or they saw something which made them change their sexuality
Reply 26
Original post by Astronomical
Incorrect.

I'm female and I'm not bisexual. Pretty sure there's other women who aren't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DanTheMan83
Great news for men all over, means more threesomes for us. :cool:

We're not bisexual to please men. And not all bisexual women engage in threesomes. 😘 They might only threesome with women.
Think everyone's a little bisexual. With girls it's supported for them to find other women attractive, hence I'm not really surprised a lot put themselves as "bisexual". Whereas for guys in the media generally it's unpopular which is why guys will hardly say they are a bit bisexual. The media is incredibly powerful really. I'm sure if it was cool for men to be bisexual, you'd see a lot more men bisexual.

Fact is most people can recognise a good looking person regardless of sex. And good looking people can be nice to look at. Even for guys this is true, it's just we don't tend to admit it. While for females it's even cool to admit it.

Fact is most people however have one gender they are attracted to far more than the other. A lot of girls might find the odd girl attractive but find more men sexually attractive. Especially a lot of girls who despite finding women attractive, would not bring themselves to actually have a long term relationship or have sexual relations with a girl. So really for all purposes, they're really straight like most people really, as explained earlier, I don't think anyone mostly is 100% straight.

Bisexual is a confusing word, as you could describe almost anyone as it, if anyone finds the occasional person of the same sex attractive as well as finding the opposite sex attractive. Not uncommon. I think it's rarer those who are sexually attracted to men and women in more even ratios e.g. 50:50. If we really wanted to distinguish between them, maybe we need a different word. But then again, there probably isn't much need to distinguish between them anyway, they're all people at the end of the day.
Original post by RelaxedPenguin
Think everyone's a little bisexual. With girls it's supported for them to find other women attractive, hence I'm not really surprised a lot put themselves as "bisexual". Whereas for guys in the media generally it's unpopular which is why guys will hardly say they are a bit bisexual. The media is incredibly powerful really. I'm sure if it was cool for men to be bisexual, you'd see a lot more men bisexual.

Fact is most people can recognise a good looking person regardless of sex. And good looking people can be nice to look at. Even for guys this is true, it's just we don't tend to admit it. While for females it's even cool to admit it.

Fact is most people however have one gender they are attracted to far more than the other. A lot of girls might find the odd girl attractive but find more men sexually attractive. Especially a lot of girls who despite finding women attractive, would not bring themselves to actually have a long term relationship or have sexual relations with a girl. So really for all purposes, they're really straight like most people really, as explained earlier, I don't think anyone mostly is 100% straight.

Bisexual is a confusing word, as you could describe almost anyone as it, if anyone finds the occasional person of the same sex attractive as well as finding the opposite sex attractive. Not uncommon. I think it's rarer those who are sexually attracted to men and women in more even ratios e.g. 50:50. If we really wanted to distinguish between them, maybe we need a different word. But then again, there probably isn't much need to distinguish between them anyway, they're all people at the end of the day.

I agree with this.
This happened at my school except we were about 14/15 and everyone just decide to get into same sex relationships, once the year passed everyone went back to whatever they were doing beforehand haha.
Same thing happened with the majority of my friends (albeit, this was towards the end of secondary school). I still identify as bisexual (well, pansexual, for what it's worth) and not a single one of them does so I, personally, wouldn't come down too hard on any users remarking that it might be a 'phase'; in fact, I concur.
Original post by Ebony19
This happened at my school except we were about 14/15 and everyone just decide to get into same sex relationships, once the year passed everyone went back to whatever they were doing beforehand haha.

Wait what, actual same sex relationships? Everyone? At 14/15? Way to commit :biggrin:

Must have been a tough time for the guys at your school lol. I bet grades for guys must have rocketed in that space of time :smile:) (before taking it's natural downturn a year later the storm had passed and girls became available to them again)
What is the percentage of bisexual women? I see lot's of women who say they're bisexual, it must beover 50%?
Eh, probably not a phase. Could be a phase, but you know, I think identities should be validated in the present, not based on what you think is gonna happen.

My friend came out as gay, I started dating her and came out as bi, then my best friend came out (as bi, then later as gay), then two of our other close friends came out as bi, all in a short space of time. Sometimes it just happens like that. Other people coming out can make you think about your own identity, or it can make you feel more comfortable about telling people.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 35
It is the hipster thing to do nowadays. Everyone is bisexual.
Reply 36
Some posters are claiming others are trivialising bisexuality through there speculation, what nonsense, people are allowed to speculate to some degree and think critically, otherwise there would be no point to the thread at all. I have myself not read anything trivialising or offensive just cause you perhaps found some words offensive does not mean they made the subject trivial.

I do find it odd though not surprising that one poster relaxed penguin claimed that if it was cool in society for men to be bisexual more men would do it. I doubt this, in the west we are already very open of gay people and gay relationships so there would be no great reason even now for guys to hide there true sexuality other then personal fears or they are still coming to understand themselves.

I think with this bi phase thing perhaps there are two groups. Group one perhaps are truly bi and it's part of them whereas for group two it's as relaxedpenguin claimed it's cool, it's a lifestyle for a while. In there small social circles perhaps they do feel they have to fit in or perhaps they are so young and have a character or psychological make up that is more open to experimentation.

As a heterosexual male though I highly doubt I would be more open to it even if more men were doing it. I am around a few gay men and you won't see me following them. Also as a heterosexual male I am not attracted to women because it's cool it's just pure biological psychological attraction. So I could understand if some bisexuals find the use of cool to describe their relationships or the word phase offensive.

However, some of these posters have also provided examples of some personalities who have experienced this issue and as you read through there experience some claimed it a phase so you can't just brush away their experiences. Perhaps we should really just learn to see people as individuals in the end and not make any major blanket generalisations at the same time though speculation and an honest interest on a subject even if you deem it wrong is not trivialising of a subject.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by RelaxedPenguin
Wait what, actual same sex relationships? Everyone? At 14/15? Way to commit :biggrin:

Must have been a tough time for the guys at your school lol. I bet grades for guys must have rocketed in that space of time :smile:) (before taking it's natural downturn a year later the storm had passed and girls became available to them again)
Not quite, not quite...
Original post by Anonymous
I have nothing against different sexualities. In fact I don't really think I believe in sexuality per se, I think people are either asexual or they simply like who they like. I identify as straight though since I've only ever had relations with or had 'proper crushes' on guys (I'm a girl), so this just seems easiest and most logical.

Over the last year or two 6 of my female friends have gradually decided to identify as bisexual. I find it strange because none have ever dated anyone but guys and whilst they might comment on female celebrities being hot (don't we all?), when it comes to the kind of 'crushes' that they talk about constantly and envision themselves with romantically, it is again always guys. I just don't see it, I guess.

Am I wrong in finding this annoying and silly? We are all 18.

I don't really see the point in identifying as bisexual unless you are actually sexually or romantically involved with somebody of the same sex, or planning to be. I don't hold this opinion for homosexual people though, so maybe I am wrong.

I'd be curious to know what any bisexual people who have involved with both genders think - plus have you always known your sexuality and how did you find out?

I wouldn't care ordinarily, I'm ashamed I do, I just can't help feeling a bit dubious.

It seems like maybe a phase...
Original post by Queen Cersei
one of my closest friends is bisexual

"I have loads of black friends"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending