Help/tips with Psychology A2 addiction revision [s]confused[/s] Watch

Shiroe
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
This topic is so confusing and hard to revise for. The layout of the topic really confuses me. The specification on the AQA website says we have to know:

• Biological, cognitive and learning approaches to explaining initiation, maintenance and relapse, and their applications to smoking and gambling.

But the textbook goes into so much more detail and talks about studies not applicable to smoking or gambling. But there are also specific studies on smoking and gambling. Am I supposed to learn all of these studies? Or should I just include the specific studies in my essay?
How has everyone been revising? And how do you lay out your essay plans? My teacher only follows the textbook and never goes through with any exam techniques as she is only filling in for the addiction topic. Honestly, she isn't very good at explaining it. Our other teacher goes through all the key points and studies we have to know and goes through how we should structure everything in answers. But this teacher just overloads us with EVERYTHING!
I'm feeling so hopeless for this subject now, A2 psychology is so different to AS I don't know what to do. I got an A last year with barely any revision but this year although I'm revising so much, nothing really sinks in because I feel like I don't understand anything
shhh123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Shiroe)
This topic is so confusing and hard to revise for. The layout of the topic really confuses me. The specification on the AQA website says we have to know:

• Biological, cognitive and learning approaches to explaining initiation, maintenance and relapse, and their applications to smoking and gambling.

But the textbook goes into so much more detail and talks about studies not applicable to smoking or gambling. But there are also specific studies on smoking and gambling. Am I supposed to learn all of these studies? Or should I just include the specific studies in my essay?
How has everyone been revising? And how do you lay out your essay plans? My teacher only follows the textbook and never goes through with any exam techniques as she is only filling in for the addiction topic. Honestly, she isn't very good at explaining it. Our other teacher goes through all the key points and studies we have to know and goes through how we should structure everything in answers. But this teacher just overloads us with EVERYTHING!
I'm feeling so hopeless for this subject now, A2 psychology is so different to AS I don't know what to do. I got an A last year with barely any revision but this year although I'm revising so much, nothing really sinks in because I feel like I don't understand anything
I'm in exactly the same boat.
Davalla
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
On paper it looks like a lot to remember, but most of it is quite literally common sense. Use what you know from the cognitive, learning theory, and biological approaches, and apply them to smoking and gambling, e.g. 'the biochemical explanation of the biological approach suggests that gambling is initiated perhaps to compensate for the lack of excitement that the person gets outside gambling. They essentially become entrapped In a cycle of neuroendrocrine responses; an initial adrenaline rush is produced in the procedure of anticipating an outcome, making the person feel good. To continue this excitement: the gambler may feel the need to place more or higher value bets, and in doing so a tolerance of adrenaline may occur, leading to even more betting, whilst making it harder for them to stop. The dopamine hypothesis is also relevant here', etc. [This was done from memory, so it may not be in lovely detail]

It's best to memorize studies that are relevant to either gambling or smoking as these studies can be also applied to discussing addiction in general, whilst studies that just talk about addiction in general can't be applied to gambling or smoking, so don't focus on anything that mentions heroin for example, to make things easier.

If your teacher doesn't go over past questions: you can go to AQA's website and view the past papers and mark schemes for yourself.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of West London
    Postgraduate Open Day - Ealing Site Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Bath
    Find out about life at the University and discover our diverse range of Undergraduate courses. Our course areas include the Sciences, Humanities & Social Sciences, Engineering & Design, and Management. Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Chemistry Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (256)
32.08%
The paper was reasonable (390)
48.87%
Not feeling great about that exam... (90)
11.28%
It was TERRIBLE (62)
7.77%

Watched Threads