The Student Room Group

Are these guys trying to be racist or...?

Just wanted to say, I'm not trying to make everything about race. I would also like to know what other minorities think about this.

Whilst waiting for the bus, I noticed this past year some of the teenage boys from the school near by will drive by, honk to get my attention and shout stuff like ''whaaaaayyyyy'' and try and get my attention. Then last week , some guy stuck his middle finger out at me :L

I told my dad and he says that they are racist. I'm a 17 yr old black girl btw.

Where I live has black people and asians but obv more white people. I have talked to my white friends and this does not happen to them.

Scroll to see replies

I don't see the link to racism here but I sure do think the random middle finger thing is odd. Would they say anything to you in particular?
Reply 2
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
I don't see the link to racism here but I sure do think the random middle finger thing is odd. Would they say anything to you in particular?
They don't say anything.

And racism as in 'lets abuse the black girl for a laugh'

I didn't think of racism till my dad mentioned but it's weird how this does not happen to my white friends

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahh I don't think it's a race thing.

Maybe you're really fit. Some guys do that a lot to people they generally find attractive.

Builders are also known for doing that.
Original post by xoflower
They don't say anything.

And racism as in 'lets abuse the black girl for a laugh'

I didn't think of racism till my dad mentioned but it's weird how this does not happen to my white friends

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I'm (partly) black myself but I just can't see how that can be directly linked to racism unless they've shouted something obvious etc. Do your black female friends experience it as well? If so then yeah I can see you point. :smile:

If it does continue to happen though you should really have someone take some sort of action before it gets too much.

Edit: Sometimes, in regards to the 'wheeeeeeey' thing, it could be a really weird way of saying "Hey you're attractive". It happens, believe me.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
It's not racism, teenage boys in cars together are just dicks.
Original post by Advanced Subsidiary

Maybe you're really fit. Some guys do that a lot to people they generally find attractive.

So people swear at others for being attractive? :curious:
Lol, what's that gotta do with racism?
They're just acting like *****.
Reply 8

You can't really tell attractiveness from a distance though?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Well I'm (partly) black myself but I just can't see how that can be directly linked to racism unless they've shouted something obvious etc. Do your black female friends experience it as well? If so then yeah I can see you point. :smile:

If it does continue to happen though you should really have someone take some sort of action before it gets too much.

Edit: Sometimes, in regards to the 'wheeeeeeey' thing, it could be a really weird way of saying "Hey you're attractive". It happens, believe me.

Black female friends don't get the bus on a regular basis

How can I take action?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well.....the teenage boys are probably just being teenage boys.

I have had the middle finger thing happen.

I was waiting to cross the road. Someone starting honking their horn on the side of the road. I looked at him and then he put his middle finger at me and then drove off.

I was a bit mystified at first and then I started laughing.

Since, I live in an area with very few South Asians, it could be a racial thing. Having said that, I don't really care.
Original post by I Procrastinate
So people swear at others for being attractive? :curious:

They do..., well not the middle finger bit - but they horn at you and stuff.

You can't really tell attractiveness from a distance though?

Posted from TSR Mobile

hmm, depends how far they are away from you. Does it only happen to you when you're in your group of friends?
Reply 12
Original post by DorianGrayism
Well.....the teenage boys are probably just being teenage boys.

I have had the middle finger thing happen.

I was waiting to cross the road. Someone starting honking their horn on the side of the road. I looked at him and then he put his middle finger at me and then drove off.

I was a bit mystified at first and then I started laughing.

Since, I live in an area with very few South Asians, it could be a racial thing. Having said that, I don't really care.

Yeah it's best to just laugh it off lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
They do..., well not the middle finger bit - but they horn at you and stuff.

hmm, depends how far they are away from you. Does it only happen to you when you're in your group of friends?

It's never when I'm in a group. It's always when I'm by myself, why?

Posted from TSR Mobile

How can I take action?
Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not really sure lovely, erm if it happens near your place of study then tell a teacher or something? Or ask your dad if he could pick you up sometimes to avoid the issue etc.
They're just acting like idiots, you shouldn't assume they're being racist just because you're part of an ethnic minority, hopefully they grow up.
It's never when I'm in a group. It's always when I'm by myself, why?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ahh just curious...

in that case it could be racially motivation.

Sad people, need to get lives.
nothing to do with racism. this is the type of thing a lot of teenage boys do (unfortunately). You're probably good looking lol
Reply 18
I'm not really sure lovely, erm if it happens near your place of study then tell a teacher or something? Or ask your dad if he could pick you up sometimes to avoid the issue etc.

Thanks, I will try and ignore it for now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just wanted to say, I'm not trying to make everything about race. I would also like to know what other minorities think about this.

Whilst waiting for the bus, I noticed this past year some of the teenage boys from the school near by will drive by, honk to get my attention and shout stuff like ''whaaaaayyyyy'' and try and get my attention. Then last week , some guy stuck his middle finger out at me :L

I told my dad and he says that they are racist. I'm a 17 yr old black girl btw.

Where I live has black people and asians but obv more white people. I have talked to my white friends and this does not happen to them.

I think that's more ignorance and immaturity than racism. I would just ignore them, they are not worth your time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending