livcoley
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Okay, I only just signed up to the Student Room and I am panicking so much.

I knew that when I was younger I sort of wanted to become a Vet, but now that I am a year and a half away from potentially going to university, I know for a fact that this is what I want.

I am currently 17 and doing AS levels at college, and the AS levels I am doing is Biology, Chemistry, Film Studies and Art.
When I was choosing, I should've picked a more tempting subject for universities to see that I have a serious interest in animals rather than Film Studies. Some uni's don't care for the third subject which is ok but I am still panicking.

Only one huge problem, I have no time to live up to expectations!

It's the beginning of March 2015 and I will be applying to university in September/October 2015!
I have no work experience so far, except 3 upcoming potential veterinary placements that will be happening on weekends, in the easter holidays and in the summer holidays.
I know it isn't enough but no where else is taking me on.
I have been to every single veterinary place and it's so difficult for them to say yes.
I am trying and will be continuing to try, I have applied to animal hospitals, and the RSPCA (which is like 8 miles away from my house) and to Dogs Trust to be a volunteer and many more but I have heard no reply except the 3 I mentioned (2 farms and an equine hospital)
CAN ANYONE GIVE ME ADVICE ON WORK EXPERIENCE?

I did do NCS but I see other people's personal statements for Veterinary Science and they've done the Duke of Edinborough Award and A LOT more work experience than what I have done. Is NCS enough?

I haven't even signed up to clubs at college and I feel like it is too late to, WHAT DO I DO?!?!!?!?

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP OR GIVE ME SOME SORT OF ADVICE.

Thanks,
Liv
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses.

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :yy:

Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
x
usycool1
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Report 5 years ago
Moved to Vet Med - you'll get better replies here.
ch0c0h01ic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by livcoley)
I am currently 17 and doing AS levels at college, and the AS levels I am doing is Biology, Chemistry, Film Studies and Art.
When I was choosing, I should've picked a more tempting subject for universities to see that I have a serious interest in animals rather than Film Studies. Some uni's don't care for the third subject which is ok but I am still panicking.
Read the relevant university prospectuses and contact their admissions departments if you are in any doubt for confirmation. Certainly lacking a third science or at least academic subject will limit where you can apply to.

For example, when I applied (8+ years ago) Edinburgh and Liverpool would not accept students without a third science so there was no point me applying to them.

One option is taking a year out to study for a further, more academic third subject.

1) Experience working with animals in general is much easier to get than working in a vet practice - there are countless farms, riding schools, livery yards, kennels and catteries up and down the country looking for free labour work experience students.

2) Getting experience in a vet practice is normally much easier once you have other work experience to demonstrate your interest, dedication, organisation and communication skills.

3) Look further afield if you struggle to find placements close to home - look for placements in the areas that your friends and family live. Agricultural colleges can be a good shout if you are unable to find placements closer to home as they can normally offer cheap accommodation through the holidays. Equally if your family tends to holiday in the UK look for placements close to where you plan on staying.

4) Follow up your nicely written letter for a placement with a phone call 7-14 days later (or a visit in person) to jog their memory. I secured several of placements simply on the strength of a nicely written letter and a couple more with on-the-spot and telephone interviews. Yes you will still get some refusals however it does improve your odds.

5) Persistence and compromise - you will eventually find placements if you keep working hard to find them and are willing to sacrifice your weekends "off" and holidays in order to get experience. It just takes time.

I did do NCS but I see other people's personal statements for Veterinary Science and they've done the Duke of Edinborough Award and A LOT more work experience than what I have done. Is NCS enough?
No.

It is better than nothing but it is weak in comparison to even a Bronze D of E Award, which are pretty common these days among applicants.

I would start the Gold D of E Award - it costs hardly anything, it is a great talking point and a lot of things you are probably already doing count towards it. By the time you apply you should be able to get around 50% of it out of the way.

I cannot remember the last person I met with a Gold Award, they are that scarce.

I would distance yourself from this "enough" mentality. It is an incredibly competitive course, to stand a reasonable chance of getting in you have to be and do far better than "average". If you are persistently aiming for the minimum you are genuinely going to struggle.

NB: I would recommend taking a year out to strengthen your application. Many of the vet schools limit the amount of applications you can make to two so I would not waste an application when you have little or no work experience, life experience, etc. If you really nail a year out by getting 10-20 weeks work experience (or more), getting some life experience (eg; Gold D of E, travelling, volunteering, etc), sorting out your subject combinations, etc you would significantly improve your prospects.
henrypotter
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Remember that you can take a gap year and apply next year when you have more work experience. On your gap year you could then do an AS in maths or physics to make up for taking Film Studies.

And don't expect getting work experience to be easy - it's difficult and taks a lot of time/a thick skin but if you keep plugging away you will make contacts and it should fall into place.

Good luck!
Tenrec
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Liv
There is no point in panicking, if you don't get in first time round you can take a gap year (and another A-level). I am currently a second year at Liverpool and most people here have taken at least one gap year. Also it might be worth talking to a careers person at your school. You may be able to take an additional As level in year 13.

It's the beginning of March 2015 and I will be applying to university in September/October 2015!
I have no work experience so far, except 3 upcoming potential veterinary placements that will be happening on weekends, in the easter holidays and in the summer holidays.
I have been to every single veterinary place and it's so difficult for them to say yes.
I am trying and will be continuing to try, I have applied to animal hospitals, and the RSPCA (which is like 8 miles away from my house) and to Dogs Trust to be a volunteer and many more but I have heard no reply except the 3 I mentioned (2 farms and an equine hospital)
Liv
Most applicants will have more than 10weeks. All the unis have different requirements but I think you will need more than 3 weeks seeing practice. I have found most vet practices start taking bookings in October and fill up for the summer around Christmas.
Try farms, stables, wildlife rescue, kennels, dogs trust/cats protection. Large places like the PDSA, Blue cross and the larger referral hospitals only take current vet students. Well know organizations like the RSPCA will fill up a year in advance.
For contacting farms, go into a local butchers and ask where they source their meat, they will be able to give you contact numbers for local farms who will happily take a student (its free labor after all).
Go on the NSA website to find a list of farms looking for students to help out with lambing.
Where abouts in the country are you, the unis realise that in some parts it is nearly immpossible to get certain types of placements, ie a farm vet in the middle of london.

I haven't even signed up to clubs at college and I feel like it is too late to, WHAT DO I DO?!?!!?!?
Liv
I'm not really sure exactly what NCS entails, but I don't think it is as good as DofE. I did all three bronze, silver and gold DofE but pretty much everyone has done bronze with lots of people also doing silver.
Find your local RDA branch, go along and ask if you can volunteer, they will love you if you say you will muck out and tack up.
Also there is a charity called the retired greyhound trust, they have branches everywhere and are always looking for dog walkers
In terms of clubs and things i don't think its that important, make sure you have other interests and you do things outside of placements and studying.
Feel free to ask me any other questions
bigmacojacko
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Okay, I only just signed up to the Student Room and I am panicking so much.

I knew that when I was younger I sort of wanted to become a Vet, but now that I am a year and a half away from potentially going to university, I know for a fact that this is what I want.

Only one huge problem, I have no time to live up to expectations!

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP OR GIVE ME SOME SORT OF ADVICE.

Thanks,
Liv
If your doing something that is not helping you achieve your dream sack it off, you never don't have enough time. I play rugby 4-6 times a week, at school 5 days a week and own a horse which take up a lot of my time but have still got over 140 related vet work experience. I have worked at one vets every Saturday for 3 years and this is great as I am now considered a member of staff and not a work experience student, I know everyone very well and they allow me to do things that a vet practice cannot let you do after knowing you for a week. I suggest strongly that you get a placement like this. talk to people, luckily as a butchers son I found slaughter house work ex very easy to find and has helped my application so much better. if you live in a rural area like me it is easy to find farms that will accept you. many have come up to me asking if I wanted experience, I didn't even need to ask. If you live in a city universitys will understand its hard to get work ex on a farm, but maybe try emailing some farms and see if you can stay with them or in a bunk barn close by, lots of farmers are very willing to help and it makes your application stand out as you've had the passion to go out your comfort zone to become a vet.
cheers, joe
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (135)
14.69%
I'm not sure (40)
4.35%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (279)
30.36%
I have already dropped out (24)
2.61%
I'm not a current university student (441)
47.99%

Watched Threads