The Student Room Group

I worry my parents are disappointed in my looks

Perhaps a strange thought to have (given that they're my parents) but I worry that when we're watching the television, for example, and there's an attractive woman, they'll wish that I was better looking and that leads me to think that they must be disappointed in my looks.

Any advice or thoughts? And I'd like input from males as well? Do you think this when there's an attractive man on the television?
I think that's slightly paranoid.
Reply 2
dude u uglay as faak
Your looks are from your parents. If they think you're ugly it's their fault.
Reply 4
okay, ignore the people who clearly are just trying to make you feel worse.

Stop worrying, don't change yourself for who you think other people want you to be. Be what makes you happy. (if you're thinking 'yes but being pretty would make me happy', like i would be if i'd asked your question, then i'm going to be a teeny bit rude (i think) and say that what you're actually unhappy about is disappointing people and not fulfilling their expectations of you.)

When you look in the mirror, stop pointing out your own imperfections to yourself, we all do this, it's not good for our mental health because we end up worrying about what other people think. But people don't notice them as much as we think; when i'm looking at photos with friends, some say they hate pictures of themselves because of how their arm flab shows, or how they can see a spot they tried to cover up that day; i never notice things like this (even in person) until they point them out themselves. And neither do other people. What makes someone attractive (ignore models and stuff on tv - a lot is photoshop, idk how much) in person isn't their make-up, but their confidence and how much they smile and laugh comfortably and naturally.

Do you ever find that a person you initially didn't find attractive becomes more attractive when you spend time with them when they're cheerful? I do. It's that that's more important, and your general comfort in yourself, than what you perceive other people's expectations of yourself to be.

hope this helps somewhat and you didn't roll your eyes all the way through or give up part-way or something!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
This is a very unusual thought to have not something I as a guy have ever thought concerning my parents. However, perhaps your parents don't show enough affection to you or one of them has said a bad joke about your looks which has caused this thoughts in you.

Would you care to explain why you feel like this, was it a specific incident? Also I'm slightly confused about your sex are you male or female?
Original post by Mistake Not...
Your looks are from your parents. If they think you're ugly it's their fault.

beat me to it
Original post by pseudonymegg
beat me to it

Greats minds an' all that

LOL
Reply 8
Original post by Grace_14
okay, ignore the people who clearly are just trying to make you feel worse.

Stop worrying, don't change yourself for who you think other people want you to be. Be what makes you happy. (if you're thinking 'yes but being pretty would make me happy', like i would be if i'd asked your question, then i'm going to be a teeny bit rude (i think) and say that what you're actually unhappy about is disappointing people and not fulfilling their expectations of you.) When you look in the mirror, stop pointing out your own imperfections to yourself, we all do this, it's not good for our mental health because we end up worrying about what other people think. But people don't notice them as much as we think; when i'm looking at photos with friends people say they hate pictures of themselves because of how their arm flab shows, or how they can see a spot they tried to cover up that day, i never notice things like this (even in person) until people point them out. And neither do other people. What makes someone attractive (ignore models and stuff on tv - a lot is photoshop, idk how much) in person isn't their make-up, but their confidence and how much they smile and laugh comfortably and naturally. Do you ever find that a person you initially didn't find attractive becomes more attractive when you spend time with them when they're cheerful? I do. It's that that's more important, and your general comfort in yourself, than what you perceive other people's expectations of yourself to be.
hope this helps somewhat and you didn't roll your eyes all the way through or give up part-way or something!

Nice of you to be kind to the OP and all but your response barely addresses his problem it's so generic, it could be a response to any body related problem.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Mancini
Nice of you to be kind to the OP and all but your response barely addresses his problem it's so generic, it could be a response to any body related problem.

I wonder if you even read his post, you could also do with making use of paragraphs.

Thank you, but I was trying to help, not be kind.

It may be generic, but if he or she genuinely thinks this, then what I would want (in their position) is help on trying to be happier in myself, and worry less about it. I have had my own struggles with parental expectations, and I said to them what I wished someone had said to me.

And I fixed the paragraphs for you.
Original post by Anonymous
Perhaps a strange thought to have (given that they're my parents) but I worry that when we're watching the television, for example, and there's an attractive woman, they'll wish that I was better looking and that leads me to think that they must be disappointed in my looks.

Any advice or thoughts? And I'd like input from males as well? Do you think this when there's an attractive man on the television?

Have they ever given you any reason for you to think that they are disappointed in the way you look?
Original post by Gott
Pics? I'd rather give an honest opinion but obviously they won't think any the less of you for your looks

We don't need to see pictures of him/her. If he/she isn't attractive to you are you then gonna say that his/her parent's potential views are justified?
Original post by Anonymous

I have the same feeling and situation, my mother always says that to me, my father always think about finding a girl for my brother but she must not look like me, and they really do not care about my feelings, and if do something to be better looking they, always mock and upset me
Original post by Gott
I'd probably not post so I could have just gone :wink:

Thanks for your input.
Reply 14
Original post by Grace_14
Thank you, but I was trying to help, not be kind.

It may be generic, but if he or she genuinely thinks this, then what I would want (in their position) is help on trying to be happier in myself, and worry less about it. I have had my own struggles with parental expectations, and I said to them what I wished someone had said to me.

And I fixed the paragraphs for you.

Don't mind me Grace, you were just being positive for the OP sorry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending