''Ducking'' the TV debates, does this affect your vote?

Watch
arminb
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So our prime minister is apparently chickening out of the TV debates and I would like to know if those of you who support the conservatives are still gaining to. Does this behaviour affect your vote? Or is it unimportant to you?
Gos123
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Unimportant. The TV debates are trivial, they don't matter and we all know that Dave>Ed in personality/policy.

Edit: I'm also pointing that that Debates are only there for the politically vacuous and if you think they're an important part of elections, you're a complete idiot. People should educate themselves instead of relying on snappy suits, soundbites and instead have an actual rational debate on policy or the achievements of a government.

The Coalition have done fine, e.g. the sale of Eurostar, Royal Mail, curbed finances, cut the deficit and had a not catastrophic foreign policy, brought in gay marriage and more - whilst Labour have just bickered and yammered at the edges with ******ed policies like price controls, minimum wage increases and effectively agreeing with the Tories in austerity.

Cameron regularly wins 1v1 versus Milibean in the HoC, and just pointing to the debates again - they don't affect turnout and they don't realistically affect voting behaviour as voting behaviour is largely linked to long-standing social patterns, observable especially in the USA which has regular debates but is closely linked to racial/social and ethnic voting behavioural patterns. If debates affect turnout, they only affect them insofar as much as a terrible terrible gaffe e.g. 1976 Gerald Ford or in 2000 with Al Gore sighing 100 times.
SirMasterKey
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Doesn't matter at all for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
coconuthead--
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by arminb)
So our prime minister is apparently chickening out of the TV debates and I would like to know if those of you who support the conservatives are still gaining to. Does this behaviour affect your vote? Or is it unimportant to you?
I loveee David Cameron he's actually so so so sooooo hot!!!! Such a cutiee

Posted from TSR Mobile
trasitszy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes it does. As a first time voter I want to see the policies and values of each of the parties and the debates would be an easy way to do this. It also shows cowadice from Cameron and he is not accepting that this is important to a huge number of voters.
Gos123
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by coconuthead--)
I loveee David Cameron he's actually so so so sooooo hot!!!! Such a cutiee

Posted from TSR Mobile
What.
Aj12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by arminb)
It won't affect my vote, but it certainly contributes to a general apathy in politics.
Pulse.
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Nope. The idea of basing your vote off an hour of debate for the party that is going to run the country for the next five years seems crazy to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'd prefer the Cameron vs Miliband debate but it's relatively unimportant. The budget and manifesto will have a far bigger impact.
jon5579
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I remember watching Alex Salmond vs Alistair Darling in that TV debate.

I loved how Alistair tried to logically explain to the audience how relying solely on oil income is a reckless economic policy, but Mr.Salmond with his 'SCOTLAND'S OIL FOR SCOTTISH PEOPLE!!!!!!!' populist pish achieved great applause from the audience. TV debates are crap, just more of soundbite politics, e.g. 'Education, Education, Education' - Mr.Blair, 'Ordinary hard working families' - Every other politician.

(BTW Nichola, how's the SNP's economic credibility faring now the price of oil is less than half of what you expected it in your white paper, moron!)
Fizzel
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You don't really learn much from the TV debates. Its just rhetoric for the most part. I think you'd have to be very foolish to ignore past form and current manifesto in favour of anything said and done, or not said or done, during a TV debate.

For the most part the TV debates are just the leaders trying to convince you that they believe in the same stuff you do. You aren't going to learn anything or have your position on anything changed.
jakeel1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The only people who will watch it are those who are going to vote. They've made their mind up already, it's tribalism that's all.
coconuthead--
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Gos123)
What.
Mmmmm

Posted from TSR Mobile
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by trasitszy)
Yes it does. As a first time voter I want to see the policies and values of each of the parties and the debates would be an easy way to do this. It also shows cowadice from Cameron and he is not accepting that this is important to a huge number of voters.
So you're conservative but this is changing your mind?
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by El-Presidente)
(BTW Nichola, how's the SNP's economic credibility faring now the price of oil is less than half of what you expected it in your white paper, moron!)
Looking fine if the polls are anything to go by.
jon5579
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
Looking fine if the polls are anything to go by.
Sad, isn't it?
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by El-Presidente)
Sad, isn't it?
Not really. Hardly like HMG were using a different figure.
JohnPaul_
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Usually they're ****e but that's because of people taking part in them. Dave and Ed practically debate every week in the commons but that's just pure front anyway they couldn't be any more similar really. They feed off each other to keep themselves going.

The Clegg and Farage debate though worked because Farage actually wasn't just rhetoric but was the voice of reason in that.

We all know why Cameron doesn't want to do them with Nigel is because he suffered badly last time against politicians who were the same as him anyway, he'll do even worse when confront with some actual facts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
arminb
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Some interesting stuff here. TV debates won't affect my vote since there is no way I'd vote Tory anyways and a vote for any other party than Labour will make them more likely to hold power. But I believe him chickening his way out suggests that there are things he doesn't want to be confronted with, that he is scared to be held accountable. And that he is indifferent towards people who want to see him debate. Last time, 22 million people watched the TV debates and they had an effect on the polls.
aoxa
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Anyone who would change their vote over a TV debate obviously doesn't have their priorities set straight.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (113)
27.43%
England (143)
34.71%
Belgium (32)
7.77%
Germany (41)
9.95%
Spain (10)
2.43%