Deci
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice on what course would be more suitable for me to study. After university, key points would be:

• Starting salary and growth of salary
  • Development of future technologies
  • Laddering
  • Business opportunities

I've learned various programming languages since being out of school (I'm 21). My other strongest subjects are naturally physics and mathematics. I feel like after so many years in the field, I would likely take a high managerial role or start my own business. Would one choice be better than the other for this?

I know very little about robotics and I am worried that it lacks the prestige a computer science degree has, due to it being a fairly new field. Would employers prefer a CS degree? Would Robotics offer a narrow range of job opportunities compared to CS?

I'm sure there's other questions but this will do for now. Thanks for your help.
Octan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Really there are no definitive answers for what to do but personally... I would go with Computer Science out of those two. It has a much larger scope for employability and the like so you're more likely to find a job - however I am just a person on TSR and nothing will beat pure research into both fields.

If I was you though, also consider Engineering courses if your strong subjects are Programming (Computing), Physics and Maths. They all go hand in hand for quite a few Engineering degrees so just look around. Those are good subjects and assuming you have sufficient qualifications (i.e. GCE) in them, they can take you far.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.45%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.67%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (36)
16.59%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (33)
15.21%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (58)
26.73%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (42)
19.35%

Watched Threads