The Student Room Group

Computer Science vs Robotics

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice on what course would be more suitable for me to study. After university, key points would be:

Starting salary and growth of salary

Development of future technologies

Laddering

Business opportunities

I've learned various programming languages since being out of school (I'm 21). My other strongest subjects are naturally physics and mathematics. I feel like after so many years in the field, I would likely take a high managerial role or start my own business. Would one choice be better than the other for this?

I know very little about robotics and I am worried that it lacks the prestige a computer science degree has, due to it being a fairly new field. Would employers prefer a CS degree? Would Robotics offer a narrow range of job opportunities compared to CS?

I'm sure there's other questions but this will do for now. Thanks for your help.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Really there are no definitive answers for what to do but personally... I would go with Computer Science out of those two. It has a much larger scope for employability and the like so you're more likely to find a job - however I am just a person on TSR and nothing will beat pure research into both fields.

If I was you though, also consider Engineering courses if your strong subjects are Programming (Computing), Physics and Maths. They all go hand in hand for quite a few Engineering degrees so just look around. Those are good subjects and assuming you have sufficient qualifications (i.e. GCE) in them, they can take you far.

Quick Reply

Latest